Selling A Car - Viewings

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Looking for a bit of advice from anyone that has sold a car privately before.

What should I be wary of when arranging a viewing with a prostectvie buyer?

I don't intend to let them come to my house, nor would I let them drive the car away the day they saw it without the money in my account.

Aside from that, what else should I know?

Thanks

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I think the usual thing is to take them out for a test drive. I'd have someone around that you trust. Meet them somewhere public and be prepared to walk away if it doesn't feel right. Eg 4 large guys turn up for a viewing.

Reactions: The Daily Meme

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I think the usual thing is to take them out for a test drive. I'd have someone around that you trust. Meet them somewhere public and be prepared to walk away if it doesn't feel right. Eg 4 large guys turn up for a viewing.
They are on public trasnport so i assume they are without a car at the moment. My intentionw as to meet them at a bus stop/train station and take them somewhere nearby for a test drive.

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
This is a tough one cause on the one hand you don’t want any Tom, **** and Harry coming to your house but likewise you read any buyers advice and it says always try to meet the seller at their home address so they know your a genuine private seller.
I’ve sold cars privately and let them come to my house, I’ve taken them for a test drive then let them drive back, obviously taking the keys out and handing them to them once we’re both in the car.
It’s not ideal though, I’ve been lucky though and all decent people who actually bought the cars/ van they came to see.
I’m sure there are horror stories out there though so be careful.
Good luck.

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
This is a tough one cause on the one hand you don’t want any Tom, **** and Harry coming to your house but likewise you read any buyers advice and it says always try to meet the seller at their home address so they know your a genuine private seller.
I’ve sold cars privately and let them come to my house, I’ve taken them for a test drive then let them drive back, obviously taking the keys out and handing them to them once we’re both in the car.
It’s not ideal though, I’ve been lucky though and all decent people who actually bought the cars/ van they came to see.
I’m sure there are horror stories out there though so be careful.
Good luck.
Yeah I understand that, the trouble is they want to see it when I’m not about. I’m also in a orettt remote location anyway so they’d be waiting a while since there is only one bus a day to my village. :doh:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.