Cupra 160 PD -- No power for 40 to 60 seconds after starting

Rioja Cupra

Sep 11, 2016
Hello again after a long break.
As per the title, this is worse on cold mornings, and power seems down until the engine is fully warmed up.
The engine feels flat, as if it is starved of fuel, and refuses to respond to normal throttle, crawling along at a bit over tick-over.
I have checked the temperature and air pressure readings are plausible before start with VCDS.
Any ideas?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
When was the fuel filter last serviced?

Rioja Cupra

Sep 11, 2016
Filter changed, still feels flat until the turbo kicks in.
Will try a cold start in the morning.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Check fuel pressure requested Vs actual with vcds to rule that out. You scanned for codes?

Rioja Cupra

Sep 11, 2016
Check fuel pressure requested Vs actual with vcds to rule that out. You scanned for codes?

Is this what you mean?

Group 001: Injected quantity
Engine speed: 903 /min (A bit high: range 790-870)
Injected quantity: 12.1mg/str (A bit high too: range 3.0-9.0)

Group 015: Fuel consumption
Inj qty (actual) 12.4mg/str

Auto-scan fails repeatedly, but nothing for engine.

Last edited:

Rioja Cupra

Sep 11, 2016
Auto-scan fails?

You're using a genuine cable and not a knock-off right?

Genuine, but serial version with USB to serial adapter of the type recommended by VCDS.
It did work brilliantly, I don't know if it was a Windows 10 update or the latest VCDS that broke it. I suspect Windows.
I do have another older laptop, but I didn't fancy being outside in the storm last night.

Rioja Cupra

Sep 11, 2016
Took it along to SEAT and they say that the turbo actuator was jammed.
The technician freed it off slightly and recommends trying turbo cleaner, but a new turbo is required.
Ouch.
Does it sound feasible that a jammed actuator could cause an almost complete lack of power at low revs on a cold engine?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Could be, if the actuator could jam the wastegate open. The turbo would not boost so you'd have no power.
If it's happening because the VNT vanes are stuck then you can try the mr muscle trick?

Alternative you could try just replacing the actuator which can be done without removing the turbo.

Rioja Cupra

Sep 11, 2016
Could be, if the actuator could jam the wastegate open. The turbo would not boost so you'd have no power.
If it's happening because the VNT vanes are stuck then you can try the mr muscle trick?

Alternative you could try just replacing the actuator which can be done without removing the turbo.

I presume the Mr Muscle trick involves removing the turbo, which appears to be integrated with the inlet and exhaust manifold, and then spraying in oven cleaner?

How long does it take to strip down and rebuild?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
No the turbo stays in place and you spray the mr muscle right into it.

Videos on YouTube to show you how it's done.

Rioja Cupra

Sep 11, 2016
Anyone know what type of head the bolts that hold the EGR cooler at the manifold end on a PD160 are?
I think they may be Torx but I cant see them and don't have any plasticine.

Edit:
Found some bitumen tape and from the impression it looks like M10 triple square (XZN), which of course I don't have anything that will fit.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019
Anyone know what type of head the bolts that hold the EGR cooler at the manifold end on a PD160 are?
I think they may be Torx but I cant see them and don't have any plasticine.

Edit:
Found some bitumen tape and from the impression it looks like M10 triple square (XZN), which of course I don't have anything that will fit.
Hey, i have the same problem with my PD160 - barely any power when first started until its warmed up and sometimes my turbo doesnt kick in properly from low revs - i think its sticky vanes so i tried getting into the exhuast side of the turbo from underneath but the bolts are pretty rusted on and i dont want to snap them. How did you go about doing it and did it work?

Rioja Cupra

Sep 11, 2016
Hey, i have the same problem with my PD160 - barely any power when first started until its warmed up and sometimes my turbo doesnt kick in properly from low revs - i think its sticky vanes so i tried getting into the exhuast side of the turbo from underneath but the bolts are pretty rusted on and i dont want to snap them. How did you go about doing it and did it work?
Sorry I missed this.

I used one of these Teng Tools ST38313 3/8" Drive 13MM Stud Extractor
You can get them a lot cheaper if you shop around.

I also bought the Teng Tools ST38116 3/8" Drive 1/2" Stud Extractor just in case the nut was already undersize. I use Prime Tools in the UK.

2 of the nuts came off with a bit of skin loss, the 3rd came out with the stud.

Once the nuts moved, I was surprised how easily they came off.
This was on a 200,000+ mile, 14 year old car.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members