Maybe an end in sight for Kangaroo jerking...

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Be nice to see what revo can get out of it.

i just stay away from 1st gear as much as possible and ride the clutch. Clutch is going to be smoked by the time it comes round to go back to Seat [B)]
I’m limited on how long I can keep mine due to work policy so as long as the clutch lasts me 3 years I’m happy with the current situation...and it’s all logged with the dealer so if the clutch is fubared in the meantime I’d like to think I’d at least get some good will towards a replacement. Not an ideal situation I agree but sacrifices were made this time round to the power unit keep the spec (mainly all the auto functions, cruise, heated leather, big boot, fancy dash was an added bonus, etc) so I can live with the minor issue if everything else keeps working as SEAT intended.

Had one issue or another with most cars I’ve owned (gearboxes, injectors - 3 sets on the same car at £1000 a set - glad to see the back of that one, and various other niggles or issues). More than happy with the Leon and kids think the interior lighting is awesome (they’re only young) but they weren’t happy it’s not in the rear doors as well :roflmao:

The more I think about it and the more I remember the other test drives and the more I think I couldn’t have got a better motor for the money so I’m a happy chappy.

Reactions: ReddStripe

Vag8

Jul 5, 2019
When i got mine when it was new 68 plate (first of the 1.5 tsi’s) i didn’t even know the 1.5 tsi existed, it was that new in the leon the dealer only had a 1.4 tsi 125 demo, so sold me the, oh yes sir the engine will be just like this one, only better, 130 instead of 125 and much better on fuel.

so i didn’t even drive a kangaroo 1.5tsi until i collected my own leon

Hi BigJase,

I have also have a Oct 18 build Seat Leon 1.5 130evo.
I had come to the end of my, of my previous pcp on my 2015 Leon fr 1.4 (150), and wanted to reduce monthly payments so I was planning on dropping to an Arona, but got cold feet on it and spoke to the dealership about a Leon 1.4 125bhp, so having test driven one and accepting the loss of 25 bhp was a compromise I could accept... the then the dealership pulls a rabbit of a hat and offers me the brand new 1.5 130bhp all singing all dancing replacement engine for the 1.4 125bhp, but there’s no test drive as it’s so new and I can have it in less than 3 weeks.... so the first time I tried it was the day I picked it up... like you.

Since the first week I have had the hesitation and bouncing 1st to 3rd gears and definitely had flat spots when accelerating particularly in 2nd at low revs, when rolling at roundabouts etc, and no ummph what so ever if you try to accelerate at say 65mph to about 80 so overtaking is a planned event, engine 130bhp hmmm ??.

Anyway after various discussions with my dealership and Seat uk I finally had the long awaited software update done 31/12/19 and my feelings are as follows:
Update has improved lowdown grunt.
Seems more brisk through all gears.
But still has noticeable but improved hesitant performance in 1st to 3rd particularly at first start of the day.
Has now developed a hiccup under light acceleration around 45-50 mph.
And auto start stop does not seem to operate as often as prior to the update, and neither does the act.

So for me the fix is about 85% better but by no means fixed completely.

Reactions: GeoffGeoff

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Hi BigJase,

I had come to the end of my, of my previous pcp on my 2015 Leon fr 1.4 (150), and wanted to reduce monthly payments so I was planning on dropping to an Arona, but got cold feet on it and spoke to the dealership about a Leon 1.4 125bhp, so having test driven one and accepting the loss of 25 bhp was a compromise I could accept... the then the dealership pulls a rabbit of a hat and offers me the brand new 1.5 130bhp all singing all dancing replacement engine for the 1.4 125bhp, but there’s no test drive as it’s so new and I can have it in less than 3 weeks.... so the first time I tried it was the day I picked it up... like you.

Since the first week I have had the hesitation and bouncing 1st to 3rd gears and definitely had flat spots when accelerating particularly in 2nd at low revs, when rolling at roundabouts etc, and no ummph what so ever if you try to accelerate at say 65mph to about 80 so overtaking is a planned event, engine 130bhp hmmm ??.

Anyway after various discussions with my dealership and Seat uk I finally had the long awaited software update done 31/12/19 and my feelings are as follows:
But still has noticeable but improved hesitant performance in 1st to 3rd particularly at first start of the day.
And auto start stop does not seem to operate as often as prior to the update, and neither does the act.

Good to hear the update has helped (even if not 100%)...I’m tempted to take mine in now.

jimmyjimmy

Jan 27, 2020
Hi BigJase,

The fix needs to be 100% successful :crash:

Everyone should complain to their Dealer, Customer Services and the Executive Office. I have been stuck with my kangaroo car since 2018 and it has been the worst experience ever trying to get it fixed.

There are recent posts on the Honestjohn website, other VAG forums etc of the issue still not being resolved despite the new update.

I really hope everyone with the issue does speak up, make a fuss, and stand up for their consumer rights. :worship:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Hi BigJase,

im just going to wait until im due first service as they just patch me off over the phone. The service manager at carlisle seat is an absolute walloper as well. Horrible little man so the less time i have to speak to him the better.

yeah mine was exact same, delivery in 1 week and new improved amazing engine.

i have recently bought a cheap tuning box (racechip) for it which comes next week so will see if that helps by firing a bit more fuel through it.

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
The fix needs to be 100% successful :crash:

Everyone should complain to their Dealer, Customer Services and the Executive Office. I have been stuck with my kangaroo car since 2018 and it has been the worst experience ever trying to get it fixed.

There are recent posts on the Honestjohn website, other VAG forums etc of the issue still not being resolved despite the new update.

I really hope everyone with the issue does speak up, make a fuss, and stand up for their consumer rights. :worship:
Have you not tried rejection, or would you prefer to keep car but with update, I've managed to reject mine, now have a Skoda Scala, might go back to Leon after my 2 year lease is up?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Have you not tried rejection, or would you prefer to keep car but with update, I've managed to reject mine, now have a Skoda Scala, might go back to Leon after my 2 year lease is up?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
The original 1.5 tsi 130/150’s have already been replaced with newer engine models so the problem on the new leon’s is resolved, its just us unlucky buggers with the DACA and DADA engine codes still jumping along. We are the swept under the carpet crew

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
I’m not sure mine is as bad as others...it is a bit bouncy in first but just ensuring a positive drive (ie not on off throttle) it doesn’t do it at all. Yes in very slow traffic it is present if accelerating then letting off throttle but at those speeds (sun 10mph) I try to feather throttle a bit more or just drop it into neutral.

Works for me...but I bought mine second hand just at 1 year old and cost me £10k less than list price so it’s something I’m prepared to put up with for the odd time it inconveniences me now.

I know that it’s probably not the right attitude and let’s VWAG off the hook but it’s such a minor inconvenience now I’ve learnt how to avoid it I really can’t be bothered to argue or try and find a car that suits me as well for the price.

If it get’s updated at a service, fine, if it doesn’t then fine, if BigJase has a positive result with RaceChip I may get one, or may get a Revo when it’s out, might just leave it stock...

Maybe mines not as bad as some but I haven’t stalled it or pulled away slower then expected in a dangerous position so as long as I don’t need three sets of injectors over the next 3 years or a new gearbox or two glow plugs at £140 each then it’ll still be one of the better cars I’ve had over the last 18 years of driving.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I’m not sure mine is as bad as others...it is a bit bouncy in first but just ensuring a positive drive (ie not on off throttle) it doesn’t do it at all. Yes in very slow traffic it is present if accelerating then letting off throttle but at those speeds (sun 10mph) I try to feather throttle a bit more or just drop it into neutral.

Works for me...but I bought mine second hand just at 1 year old and cost me £10k less than list price so it’s something I’m prepared to put up with for the odd time it inconveniences me now.

I know that it’s probably not the right attitude and let’s VWAG off the hook but it’s such a minor inconvenience now I’ve learnt how to avoid it I really can’t be bothered to argue or try and find a car that suits me as well for the price.

If it get’s updated at a service, fine, if it doesn’t then fine, if BigJase has a positive result with RaceChip I may get one, or may get a Revo when it’s out, might just leave it stock...

Maybe mines not as bad as some but I haven’t stalled it or pulled away slower then expected in a dangerous position so as long as I don’t need three sets of injectors over the next 3 years or a new gearbox or two glow plugs at £140 each then it’ll still be one of the better cars I’ve had over the last 18 years of driving.

mines is the same, 1st gear when cold, so doesn’t bother me too much, it’s still not ideal, i do no start stop traffic so if i was a city user this would be a major issue, for my driving like yourself i just drive around it.

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
mines is the same, 1st gear when cold, so doesn’t bother me too much, it’s still not ideal, i do no start stop traffic so if i was a city user this would be a major issue, for my driving like yourself i just drive around it.
Yeah I totally get it if that’s your typical driving scenario (especially if you had from new and paid top dollar) so I totally sympathise and it is wrong of them to just leave us to deal with the issue but for me it’s a minor inconvenience occasionally so not worth my time worrying about or trying to fight the powers that be...I do have some stop start getting in and out of work (in is ok as end of journey and engine warm but out of work is when cold) and it’s manageable.

Would be good to know the changes between the two engine designs and I will still look into this as mentioned on another post if I ever get enough information but I doubt it will ever happen sadly. There didn’t seem to be a huge delay between the problem being reported and the engine being changed so I can’t see it being a totally redesigned combustion chamber or anything major (maybe but unlikely) so if it’s just a replacement part it should be an easy swap...again probably never find out and VWAG not gonna point it out at a cost of £1,000’s to them.

Last edited:

jimmyjimmy

Jan 27, 2020
The original 1.5 tsi 130/150’s have already been replaced with newer engine models so the problem on the new leon’s is resolved, its just us unlucky buggers with the DACA and DADA engine codes still jumping along. We are the swept under the carpet crew

SEAT are not accepting any more rejections because they consider the issue fixed and hence closed.

There is some evidence on a Spanish (links to https://www.clubseatleon.net translated) Leon forum that the DPCA engine still has the kangaroo.

Vag8

Jul 5, 2019

hi as I have posted I have put with this issue since delivery and finally got the up date done in December which has improved but not cured it, as an every day car since the update it is easier to live with but I’m still not convinced it’s fixed, but I have trawled every forum I can to find anything that will help and the most interesting one I found recently and I have tried this with some success is to carry out the following procedures and start up an take off.

1) start car as normal and give it about 10-15 seconds for engine revs to stabilise. Use car in Normal mode if you have this option.
2) switch off auto start/stop
3) apply brake with foot
4) switch off auto hold
5) drive off

doing this and driving for maybe 3-4 minutes before reengaging auto hold (it’s up to you on start/stop) has made a difference the half dozen or so times I have tried it.

But remember your hand brake and hill hold will not engage should you need it whilst you have auto hold switched off !!!!!

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
hi as I have posted I have put with this issue since delivery and finally got the up date done in December which has improved but not cured it, as an every day car since the update it is easier to live with but I’m still not convinced it’s fixed, but I have trawled every forum I can to find anything that will help and the most interesting one I found recently and I have tried this with some success is to carry out the following procedures and start up an take off.

1) start car as normal and give it about 10-15 seconds for engine revs to stabilise. Use car in Normal mode if you have this option.
2) switch off auto start/stop
3) apply brake with foot
4) switch off auto hold
5) drive off

doing this and driving for maybe 3-4 minutes before reengaging auto hold (it’s up to you on start/stop) has made a difference the half dozen or so times I have tried it.

But remember your hand brake and hill hold will not engage should you need it whilst you have auto hold switched off !!!!!
Thanks for that.

I have noticed it’s slightly smoother in comfort than sport (I use comfort a lot due to speed bumps near us and switch to sport as and when ‘necessary’).

Other than this issue (minor for my driving style and commute) I’m loving the car...only 3 weeks into ownership but the tech and toys are fab. I always said to my wife get a big NA not a small turbo and I think I was right as her car is bang on but the Mazda I was looking at alongside the Leon (also looked at focus, mondeo, insignia, Astra, Passat, and all similar competitors) was over £3k more for the same kit and I couldn’t justify it so I guess it boils down to ‘you pays your money your takes your chance’.

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
SEAT are not accepting any more rejections because they consider the issue fixed and hence closed.

There is some evidence on a Spanish (links to https://www.clubseatleon.net translated) Leon forum that the DPCA engine still has the kangaroo.
Drive it like you stole it...don’t notice it that way haha...but in all seriousness it’s all because of the emissions...you look at a 1.8T Audi A3 from 15 years ago and they had no issues what so ever (dad had one @ 150bhp and it was nice at the time) so it can be done but the emission regs are strangling the engines...I’m all for making car and everything else as green as possible but I fear that as regulations get tighter and tighter this kind of issue is just going to become more commonplace (until everything is battery powered of course and then that opens a whole new can of issues).

Vag8

Jul 5, 2019
Thanks for that.

I have noticed it’s slightly smoother in comfort than sport (I use comfort a lot due to speed bumps near us and switch to sport as and when ‘necessary’).

Other than this issue (minor for my driving style and commute) I’m loving the car...only 3 weeks into ownership but the tech and toys are fab. I always said to my wife get a big NA not a small turbo and I think I was right as her car is bang on but the Mazda I was looking at alongside the Leon (also looked at focus, mondeo, insignia, Astra, Passat, and all similar competitors) was over £3k more for the same kit and I couldn’t justify it so I guess it boils down to ‘you pays your money your takes your chance’.

The difference in the drive profile settings on this 1.5 130 engines is so different to my old (pre facelift) 1.4 150, with that I would drive in eco most of the time, and flick to sport for laughs and the performance difference was amazing .

but I find the 1.5 130 - eco is downright dangerous, with the lack of grunt (especially if loaded) the car just won’t pull off fast enough and you get overtaken by grannies in a Micra.

normal - is the best balance as keeps the rooing controllable, enough performance for everyday - just.

sport - heavies up the steering, quicker throttle response but not a massive difference in performance overall and far to erratic feel especially when cold rooing is worse in this setting!

Reactions: Leonfr140

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
When was it fixed mine is 2019 will mine have the newer engine ?

where can I check the engine code will it be in V5 ?

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Has anyone on here had this issue in DSG ??

Can you describe exactly what this issue is,I experienced a few things and I’m not sure if the DSG is hiding the issue or if it was a one off

my engine is XDADAX0 DADA251901 Is an affected one

I only just got the car 1.5 Ateca and I don’t want to wait before I complain as I’ll be out of time etc to cancel

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
im just going to wait until im due first service as they just patch me off over the phone. The service manager at carlisle seat is an absolute walloper as well. Horrible little man so the less time i have to speak to him the better..

Have a run down to B&H Motors in Workington. They’re my local dealer and have always sorted any issues I’ve had.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
When was it fixed mine is 2019 will mine have the newer engine ?

where can I check the engine code will it be in V5 ?
Yes will be on V5 and stamped on engine somewhere probably also on car data plate, unsure where this is as haven’t check possibly in the boot / spare wheel well / one of the door shuts

Last edited:

jimmyjimmy

Jan 27, 2020
Has anyone on here had this issue in DSG ??

Can you describe exactly what this issue is,I experienced a few things and I’m not sure if the DSG is hiding the issue or if it was a one off

my engine is XDADAX0 DADA251901 Is an affected one

I only just got the car 1.5 Ateca and I don’t want to wait before I complain as I’ll be out of time etc to cancel

Hi Betts. I really hope you don't have the roo. The characteristics appear in many forms. If you start the car in the morning and immediately set off in first gear with heater and lights on, drive as slow as you can and see if it judders. Stop the car after running it for a minute or so, and then accelerate away and see if it does it again. Repeat at the next few junctions etc whilst the car is warning up. To counter the roo, in my manual Leon I had to use more clutch when setting off.

The official technical service bulletin from SEAT states 'Jerking while warming up when accelerating/releasing accelerator (only 1st-3rd gears).

The fix has allegedly been an ECU software update to version 9757 or 9832 depending on your engine Ateca variant.

Both DSG and manual cars are allegedly affected, and VAG acknowledged publicly the fault existed back in January 2019.

There is a wealth of knowledge about the fault on this forum and many many others. I have had a rooing Leon for over 18 months now, and made the mistake in not rejecting it within 6 months.

-Jimmy:banghead::banghead2

Progressive Parts, performance parts and tuning specialists