Five reasons why you SHOULDN'T buy an SUV...

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
What does the Formentor class as? Whatever it is, I want it!

I agree with all 5 points tbh. The only reason I can see why someone would buy a large SUV is for wanting to feel safer on the roads (usually driven by people who put others at risk with their awful driving), or they have more money than sense and have ran out of things to buy haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
What does the Formentor class as? Whatever it is, I want it!

I agree with all 5 points tbh. The only reason I can see why someone would buy a large SUV is for wanting to feel safer on the roads (usually driven by people who put others at risk with their awful driving), or they have more money than sense and have ran out of things to buy haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Formentor is still an SUV (probably called a crossover SUV) - And yes I'd love one too :)

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
The only good reason for buying one is towing capacity, or off road although most in standard spec are no better than a 2wd hatch.

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
The Ateca is only marginally larger than the Leon hatch (and shorter than the Leon ST). Fuel economy isn't as good, but there's not a great deal in overall cost in it unless you're regularly covering large distances. The raised seating height makes it much easier for those of more limited mobility to get in and out (such as aging parents :)). For me it made a lot of sense.

The points made in the article seem to suggest that people would randomly decide to buy a huge great SUV instead of a supermini which is a bit of a fallacy. Some of the points are also debatable.

1) You can get 'normal' cars that are 4 wheel drive and aren't economical. For that matter there can be a great deal of variance between manufacturers - one company's SUV may be nearly as economical as another one's hatchback. Did anyone see the economy figures for the 'new' MG cars when the relaunched! Not fast and not economical...
2) Valid point, but that doesn't automatically mean they are a danger to society. The handling on my Ateca really isn't all that bad, although I haven't done a moose test yet!
3) Some SUVs... But also some cars. My brother used to have an S-Max which couldn't cope with width restrictions....
4) Rehash of point 1...
5) Just because JLR has crummy reliability doesn't mean that all SUVs are unreliable!

Reactions: Billyray911

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
You could equally entitle the article why you shouldn't get an S-Class instead of an A-Class...

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Don't need 5 reasons, they all look crap compared to hatchbacks, thats my opinion so that 's why I will never own one. Eveyone else can buy what they like I dont care.

perelaar

Jan 18, 2019
Sugartown Belgium
Why SUV - Cupra Ateca in our case? Main reason not to go for a Leon ST Cupra: higher ground clearance. Lots of city traffic in Brussels, sleeping policemen everywhere. To the point some roads we have to take to work will cause the car bumper to hit the tarmac - every time, any speed. Also lots of off-tarmac (not offroad, have something better for that) driving on our shoot, in the Ardennes and in Italy.

Easier to get and out off, especially when wearing skirts etc (for mrs perelaar). Easier to lift our dogs in and out. Smaller package than the ST, so easier parking.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have a Leon ST now, but before that I had a Ford Kuga 4wd for nearly 5 years.

My reasons for buying a 4wd SUV were that I do a lot of mountain biking and walking, with lots of regular long distance trips with the bikes and kit, and often in some very rural areas.

The Kuga was really easy to load bikes and kit into (waist high boot and no load lip), and the roof box was easy to load up by standing on the back wheel.
I can think of numerous occasions where the 4wd got me out of a muddy camping field, up a steep stony hill, or out of situations in snow, where a 2 wheel drive car simply couldn't.

My Leon ST probably has more load capacity. But it has a lower boot lip and is harder to load bikes in. Even with Crossclimate all season tyres on, I wont be venturing out in the snow or on muddy camping fields.

Another thing is the comfort. After a 30 mile day on the mtb, or after going up Snowdon, the upright driving position of the Kuga was far more comfortable to drive home in.

My next car will probably be another SUV. Just my 2 pence worth.

perelaar

Jan 18, 2019
Sugartown Belgium
Nice extra of driving a shiny red Cupra Ateca: you get to piss off all the eco-warriors in Brussels, and in Cupra mode people on a bike do hear you coming.

That aside, an Ateca is smaller and lighter than any delivery van or people carrier - or any Tesla!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I think large SUVs should be hammered on tax.

If you can afford the higher bills, you can afford the tax. If you can afford a caravan, you can afford the tax.

These cars are luxury items. Wanting and needing are not the same thing.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I think large SUVs should be hammered on tax.

If you can afford the higher bills, you can afford the tax. If you can afford a caravan, you can afford the tax.

These cars are luxury items. Wanting and needing are not the same thing.

Surely you can apply the same logic to a Cupra. Nobody needs 300bhp, they are a luxury item. So should we hammer those for tax too?

As for affordability, in my experience, most people lease cars now precisely because they can't afford to buy them (that's across all cars, SUV's etc.).

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Surely you can apply the same logic to a Cupra. Nobody needs 300bhp, they are a luxury item. So should we hammer those for tax too?

I think cars should be assessed on the impact they have on the environment, not just emissions but wear on roads, danger they pose to other road users etc, and be taxed accordingly.

Let's face it, we live in a generation of people who have totally screwed up values. Most live very wasteful, self indulgent and materialistic lives. Consumption is the new religion and it's not sustainable.

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
I think cars should be assessed on the impact they have on the environment, not just emissions but wear on roads, danger they pose to other road users etc, and be taxed accordingly.

Let's face it, we live in a generation of people who have totally screwed up values. Most live very wasteful, self indulgent and materialistic lives. Consumption is the new religion and it's not sustainable.
I hope you're driving an electric Mii then ,unless you''re a complete hypocrite...