Suspension mod?

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
Hi just bought my Mk3 FR 2.0 tech Diesel and it has modified suspension, its a tad low for everyday about half to an inch but have no C spanners or done this before, where to start? And yes I need new discs
IMG_20200325_202230.jpg

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi just bought my Mk3 FR 2.0 tech Diesel and it has modified suspension, its a tad low for everyday about half to an inch but have no C spanners or done this before, where to start? And yes I need new discs View attachment 13848
Im assuming the previous owner didn’t give you any of the coilover spanners.

They look like this:
4AFE68F1-0FF2-4023-B7E4-B0134D373683.jpeg

When you have some of those, you need to undo the top smaller collar before then adjusting the lower collar downwards. Then retighten with the top collar.

Needs a photo from the other side of the strut to better see it.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Hopefully they aren't seized, i had a set once i had to get it in a vice with some 3ft Stilsons on it

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
Hi... No no spanners unfortunately .. Will have to check online and order some... Thanks Damo for the info, not sure what the front is, coil overs assuming, will take some more pics this weekend.... Nothing else to do :(...

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi... No no spanners unfortunately .. Will have to check online and order some... Thanks Damo for the info, not sure what the front is, coil overs assuming, will take some more pics this weekend.... Nothing else to do :(...
I'd be surprised if the front wan't the same. However I meant a photo of the same rear part but from the other side (ie centre from the centre of the car looking out).

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
Thanks for all the replies, Spanners ordered and dispatched, will take a couple of extra pics and upload tomorrow, half inch should do it, worst case will remove and replace.
Ref the back ones (Damo's comment on altering) am assuming I disconnect the external shock first, re adjust, then readjust the shock to fit or just alter the height?.... Sorry never played with suspension before don't want it to drive like a dog after...

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thanks for all the replies, Spanners ordered and dispatched, will take a couple of extra pics and upload tomorrow, half inch should do it, worst case will remove and replace.
Ref the back ones (Damo's comment on altering) am assuming I disconnect the external shock first, re adjust, then readjust the shock to fit or just alter the height?.... Sorry never played with suspension before don't want it to drive like a dog after...
Does the shock have separate height adjustment?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Locking sorry
Is there any branding on them, the look like BC Racing like I used to have in my MINI, but they were actually coilovers front and rear. (Sad fact but a coilover is in fact just a name of suspension where the spring goes over the dampner/shock, hence 'coilover'. What we refer to 'coilovers' is just in fact adjustable suspension.Saddo hat off lol).

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
Will def get in there this weekend... As allowed on the drive and get some good pics, can't do much till the spanners arrive anyway

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Assuming the shock was adjusted correctly so your wheel didn't bottom out and it hit the shocks bump stop first, in theory you shouldn't need to adjust the shock. Increasing the ride height will just give you more travel on the shock. Trying to fight the fitting guide for my old BC's

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
Morning all, well been out and taken some pics this morning and yes Damo seems they are BC, the rear spring was loose when on the jack, perch mounted it says on the red label.I think the main thing obviously will be getting the measurements right, where to measure from etc, if not seized as mentioned previously

Attachments

• rear shock 1.jpg
    rear shock 1.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 86
  • rear shock 2.jpg
    rear shock 2.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 91
  • rear spring 1.jpg
    rear spring 1.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 90
  • rear spring 2.jpg
    rear spring 2.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 79
  • rear spring 3.jpg
    rear spring 3.jpg
    865.2 KB · Views: 79
  • front shock 1.jpg
    front shock 1.jpg
    784.6 KB · Views: 86
  • front shock 2.jpg
    front shock 2.jpg
    773 KB · Views: 83
  • front shock 3.jpg
    front shock 3.jpg
    767.1 KB · Views: 79

Yorkiekev

Mar 25, 2020
Well did the deed yesterday as can't go out... Rears were fine in Pics above but altering them didn't seem to make much difference
Fronts however a different matter.. Bottom lock nut seized solid on both sides (one needed or adjusting height).. Can turn it but turns the full threaded shaft with it ....
Thinking taking it all out going back to original any ideas where for parts for front and rear complete.....would these be OK from GSF..
PREMIUM
FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER / STRUT

Part No : 455VG1040
premium.png

Would I need anything else other than a splitter tool apparently
Cheers in advance

View attachment upload_2020-4-11_8-40-26.gif

Steeldevil

Jan 13, 2019
Why don't you just take it to a garage for adjustment to be made? Hopefully won't cost a lot.