Window has mind if it’s own

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Anyone had an issue with their windows

my driver side window when opening or closing will sometimes go automatic and go the wrong way.

i.e i put it down and it’s takes over and puts it’s up

or I put it up and it suddenly goes down

is this just a glitch or should I get it looked at as a fault !

thanks

Tell

Staff member
I'd say that's a fault.

Had the normal one with the motor going on my previous Seat but not random operation. Could think it's hitting an obstruction or there is one, so drops down when the internal mechanism fails.

You could try the automatic reset procedure just in case it's got something to do with that just in case the logic has got confused. That's the one you do after disconnecting the battery to reset one touch up or down to work and mirrors coming in / out (all connected).

Anyhow here are my cut and paste notes on one touch I have saved... could be worth a go then a dealer if it's still misbehaving:

Manual:

>>
Resetting one-touch opening and closing
The automatic open and close function will
not work if the battery has been temporarily
disconnected. The function can be restored
as follows:
– Close the window as far as it will go by lift-
ing and holding the electric window switch.
– Release the switch and then lift it again for
1 second. This will re-enable the automatic
function.
If you push (or pull) a button to the first
stage, the window will open (or close) until
you release the button. If you push or lift the
button briefly to the second stage, the win-
dow will open (one-touch opening) or close
(one-touch closing) automatically. If you op-
erate the button while the window is opening
or closing, it stops at this position.
<<

Also from message boards
》》
I then noticed that the safety button at the back of the windows buttons was activated which stops the rear windows from working. I discovered that this also deactivated one touch. As soon as I switched it off, one touch worked OK.
《《

And for calibration of start and stop on auto one touch up and down

》》
When using the auto close mode, there is this protection as xxxx described. But it should not activate if you use the manual closing. If you get the window closed all the way with manual mode, then you can calibrate the auto closing function. At this point, pull the lever all the way up, keep it there for 2 seconds, then release it. Now push the lever down to open the window all the way and then repeat the calibration procedure again: release the lever, push it all the way down again and keep it there for 2 seconds, then release it. Now both upper and lower limits should be calibrated, check if it still bounces back when closing.
》》

The other would be to check for faults in VCDS / Obdeleven in those systems. If so clear them if you have access to those tools. That's what I would do as well. Then the dealer.

Could be an internal obstruction that it thinks it has.

Twed

Apr 1, 2020
I've had the same problem on my Ateca from day 1. It's almost like the anti jam safety feature where it drops when there's something stopping it.

I even took videos of it happening (below) and showed the dealer but they couldn't get it to do it when they had it all day so they never done anything about it. Then on the way home it happened 6 times in 10 mins.

I've had it 1 month now and tbh it is doing it a lot less! It was booked in at the dealers this week to be investigated further but i cancelled it due to it being less frequent so it might just be a case of it's loosening off. The dealer said all they'd do is lubricate the runners so i'll probably do that myself.

HTH :)

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Perhaps they have altered the limit that it tries to push hard in newer ones so it doesnt catch kids heads, consequence it thinks it's hit something and reverses back. Three plus years my windows have been fine.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Probably a vortex that reduces the pressure on the glass so the motor is not struggling to move the glass when you are going along. Mine doesn't have a problem, where I think the tolerance could have been altered when it thinks it's hitting something (safety stop). My theory.

You could try the silicone spray method to make it run easier.

Twed

Apr 1, 2020
I've just removed my wind deflectors due to annoying wind noise, and my issue has reappeared. I can't explain why.

The material in the window runners could be creating too much friction where as it was just sliding on plastic with them fitted. Mine has only done it once since fitting them but i do have an annoying wind noise coming from passenger side now.

Reactions: Mihai A.