sell my lcr and buy a sti uk??

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
Well im going to do my sums and have a good think about it,really want one but as you all say the mpg is mental only hope i got is that i will only use my car on weekends as i have a work van for use during the week so i save there.Bt we'll see...

Thomohawk

May 2, 2006
chriz1 said:
Well im going to do my sums and have a good think about it,really want one but as you all say the mpg is mental only hope i got is that i will only use my car on weekends as i have a work van for use during the week so i save there.Bt we'll see...

Go have a shot of one m8... Job Done!!

:drive1:

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
slimjim said:
IMHO .... I have the same regard for Scooby drivers as I do for BMW drivers...

Sure some of them are curtious and good drivers.... but MOST the them... :w4nk:ers

Sorry. :hide:

Following a broadbrush statement like that, IMHO you are the :w4nk:

Thomohawk

May 2, 2006
slimjim said:
IMHO .... I have the same regard for Scooby drivers as I do for BMW drivers...

Sure some of them are curtious and good drivers.... but MOST the them... :w4nk:ers

Sorry. :hide:

Jeez.... glad I sold mine now!! Does that mean I'm not a :w4nk: er anymore...?!?!?!? :shrug:

:w4nk: er!

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
I have driven quite a lot and to be honest could a Evo7 not be had for somewhere near the same money. The sti scoobs i drove with PPP both classics and new age were okay i actually liked the classics better, strange i know. They really are not that quick even with the PPP on them. The limiting factor is probably the turbo along with reliability. P1's are nice but i always hear horror stories of engines going bang. Bottom line is the Scoobs a good car at what it does but i really believe the potential is better with the Evo and there cooler. Revo Kev has a Evo6 TM i think it might be worth asking what he thinks so far running cost etc.

P.S I also feel like the Evo/Scoob are cars i should own just to form my own long term opinion but the scoob aint the cult car it was which is a shame i should have bought one 7-10 years ago.

LCR64

I m just the cook.
Mar 24, 2006
LCR or STI

I was in the same situation, always wanted the STI but the revolution deal on the LCR was hard to pass up. Trouble was I had two split turbo pipes with less than 2500 miles on the clock and was begining to question the reliability.

I test drove the out going STI with PPP and the performance humbled the LCR, the acceleration was vicious. On the trade in I stood to lose nothing but would have to put £7k to the deal for a brand new car. I took the car out twice alone and even tried the WRX but that was really disappointing.

The STI is a great car if you dont clock many miles even the servicing is up to 10K intervals but its not the most comfortable. Jumping back into the LCR you realise just how refined it is by comparison.

The power and grip of the STI is addictive, I really loved it and I m still keeping an eye on the prices. If you are not worried about the compromises owning a STI brings, fair play to you, go for it.

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
Thanks for that chaps.test driving a scoob and evo next week.see how it goes from there,evo are around the same price too

djhorace said:
Evo's are awesome cars, but are actually more prone to going pop than Scoobies

Where did you dig up this particular snippet :confused:

ECU resets itself to run on UK super unleaded/Optimax. Evo's are extremely reliable - ones that go "pop" are usually either badly maintained/neglected or badly tuned.

I had an Evo VI (approx 350 bhp) for 5 years and did 65000 miles with no mechanical problems. Now have an VIII MR320 which is running 355 bhp/356 lbs/ft of torque (EcuTek remap and de-cat) and have covered 15000 miles with no problems. Like all high performance cars they need looking after and servicing on the nail and will be expensive in terms of consumables (clutches/brakes/tyres) dependant on how they're driven. A trawl through the MLR site suggests this is the experience of most Evo owners.

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
I think if you looked at how many Evo 5/6's have gone bang as stnd and looked at how many P1's have gone bang of a similar age/mileage and in stnd trim i think you would find the P1 has had more engine failures. Dont get me wrong i like P1's there a cult car...............yes i said cult not a c~nts car.

andys37

Impreza wagon

I've just gone from an Impreza turbo sportwagon (UK model) to the LCR and found that I did prefer the impreza...... The fuel econ wasn't so bad and as its a UK motor you can put 95 octane fuel in it. The only downside is the insurance and the probability that you won't get theft cover without a tracker.

Andy.

chriz1

Dec 13, 2005
been on to scooby net and the sti uk models are averaging about 23-25 mpg on a tidy run down to as low as 14mpg whilst blasting it

Assuming you don't maintain/service an Evo and run it on 95 ron unleaded it may well go "pop" but I would think this would be at least as likely to happen with a Subaru of similar spec.

The ECU "adjusts" itself to run on UK super unleaded/Optimax and doesn't need octane booster - I'd be amazed if many Evo owners run their cars on normal unleaded. I agree if you did and drive the car hard you would more than likely be looking at some expensive bills.

I suspect there are few completely standard Evo's around - don't know if this is true for Subaru's. Each successive Evo comes out of the box in a higher state of tune and VIII MR's/IX's can be got up to the high 300's bhp with relatively mild mods - boost does not need to be significantly increased over standard. No reason to suppose they won't be perfectly reliable assuming proper maintenance and sensible driving, for example correct warming up/cooling down before/after being driven hard.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.