C70 T5 or keep the trusty Cupra...?

dazzlin75

Hi folks

Am really, really tempted to flog my 2001 LC and get a Volvo C70 T5 (hard-top, not the poncy convertible)...

Whilst I sincerely do love my Cupra (despite a few blips with reliability, dodgy MAF, etc), it's looking a bit old now and I fancy something:

a) more powerful
b) nicer looking
c) just as 'rare' i.e. don't see too many of them about
d) cheap(ish)... 'cos I'm tight :D

Insurance and economy will be very similar between the 2 cars, so should I take the plunge and go for it? By the way, I'm only looking at spending about £8k, so I realise I'd be getting 5/6 year old Volvos for that.

Thoughts....?

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
i rekon most on here will say dont.

but im slightly more open minded, i say if you are thinking about a change, you can afford it and there is a certain car you really want, then why not, you should at least go and have a look at a few from the good old trader.

you could do alot worse than a volvo.

good luck to ya

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Totally agree with Copra there. While its not something on my list of cars to buy right now, they are good cars (share the platform with the Focus). If you fancy a change I don't think it would be a bad move. They hold onto their money well too.

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
Save another couple of grand and buy a similar age Audi S3.

The Volvo's are good cars, extremely quick and good handling too. I remember getting pasted by one down a very twisty B road in my old Civic and that was a V70 T5!

Question is tho, will it stir your emotions? They look dull as dishwater.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Someone in the Detailing section has that blue estate, and think that looks fanstastic! (I do have a strange liking for perforamce estate cars though).

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
Reg said:
Someone in the Detailing section has that blue estate, and think that looks fanstastic! (I do have a strange liking for perforamce estate cars though).

Audi Avants look good, not convinced about Volvo's tho - always the mate's dad with the Volvo estate picked everyone up from footie training cos you could fit the whole team in it! Not a good image; but extremely practical :p

dazzlin75

The C70's the sloping coupe chap - I think it looks rather nice and obviously much better than the various Volvo estates. And you very rarely see any about (a big plus point).....

Think I'll test-drive a couple this weekend and report my findings back here! :)

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
Yes mate, know the diff between the coupe and estate. Still don't like the look of 'em ;)

Shock_Xe

my mate just bought a c70 T5 GT with every extra on it with 60k miles for £4k !!! Its stunning. We looked into tuning and for £2k (Full exhaust system, Panel Filter, Slightly uprated Turbo off T5R and remap) it will get 340-350bhp and 400lbs/ft full torque coming in at 2800rpm to 6000rpm!!!!

With all other parts stock. They reckon it will be a 175mph car!!! Still very comfortable and reliable

just a remap and panel filter gets you 310bhp and 350lbs!!

Last edited by a moderator:

dazzlin75

Tallpaul said:
Yes mate, know the diff between the coupe and estate. Still don't like the look of 'em ;)

Ha! Yup - people just started to go off on an estate tangent so I thought I'd better clarify matters.... :)

Cupra Rrr

Cupra Rrr
Jun 14, 2006
Sheffield & Chesterfield
I was the other way around, I had a C70 T5 GT before my LCR 225 and I don't regret getting rid of it.

I loved the C70 and it still looks superb today, but believe me, they are no sports car. Yes it was 240bhp standard and the 0-60 time was 6.9 (same as LCR 225), but when you offered her into a corner it was like it was sat on blancmange!! It doesn't feel as torquey as the Cupra R either. I will give it something though, she was a comfortable cruise on a long journey hence the model "GT" (Grand Tourer) which some of them aren't by the way. Some are GS models which aren't specced up as much. If you're gonna get one, it's a necessity to get the T5 though, I wouldn't have entertained the 2 litre low pressure turbo or the 2.4 low pressure turbo.

One thing I can say I miss is the growl of the 5 pots - she sounded beautiful - like the old Audi UR Quattro which in my opinion is still the best sounding car EVER!!!

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
If you think you can afford to run a C70 T5.... there is no question.

GO FOR IT!....

They are LOVELY cars.... Cost a fortune to run. I used to run Volvo's ... serviceing and parts used to rip me apart.... :cry:

But the C70 looks SSSSOOOO nice :drool:

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
dazzlin75 said:
Hi folks

Am really, really tempted to flog my 2001 LC and get a Volvo C70 T5 (hard-top, not the poncy convertible)...

God no, whatever you do drive one before buying... I'm saying this through experience and the new C70 drives like an utter barge. If your genuinely tempted by one make sure you drive the Volvo then go down to your local Audi dealer and drive a new shape A4 cab.

I can guarantee after coming from a Leon you will be horrified by the complete lack of feeling of control that the C70's steering has, it really is that bad. I took one out for a couple of hours but hated it despite having my cheque book with me to order one. I ended up with an A4 3.2 Cab which was not only cheaper but had every toy known to man kind on it.

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
Cupramax said:
God no, whatever you do drive one before buying... I'm saying this through experience and the new C70 drives like an utter barge. If your genuinely tempted by one make sure you drive the Volvo then go down to your local Audi dealer and drive a new shape A4 cab.

I can guarantee after coming from a Leon you will be horrified by the complete lack of feeling of control that the C70's steering has, it really is that bad. I took one out for a couple of hours but hated it despite having my cheque book with me to order one. I ended up with an A4 3.2 Cab which was not only cheaper but had every toy known to man kind on it.
:roflmao:

With wooden nobbles on the steering wheel.... "Ship Ahoy"

:clap:

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
Just re reading this, are you talking about the new C70 with the convertible hard top or the old one?

dazzlin75

I'm referring to an oldish (probably 2001/2) C70 hard-top. Like I said, only looking to spend about £8k (at the very max).

So a new A4 cab is ever-so-slightly out of the question, Cupramax...!

Wanna swap wallets? :D