DTM @brands this weekend

See you guys there then. I'm marshalling the Saturday and Sunday - don't know where yet though. Gonna be scorchio so I shall probably have my overalls rolled down to the waist and just have my white nomex underlayer on my top half. Will try to remember my SEAT cap, so look out for me (and any ice lollies or cold drinks will be much appreciated ;) )

jonv

Sep 2, 2005
Vicky M said:
it's on eurosport, so i guess i'll be watching it when i finish work :cry:

Eurosport has the WTCC on. The DTM Brands Race is on MotorsTV.

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Well, that was certainly an experience, worth it just going for the noise alone!

Close racing and not too many accidents, shame Jamie Green went off roading at Graham hill handing the lead to Ekstrom.

Not as many people there as I was expecting, it was like a busy touring car event - grandstand seating was all sold out yet they were only 2/3rd full
left straight after the race as the support line up was dull.

nugget

Lurking in the background
F2 Stu said:
Well, that was certainly an experience, worth it just going for the noise alone!

Close racing and not too many accidents, shame Jamie Green went off roading at Graham hill handing the lead to Ekstrom.

Not as many people there as I was expecting, it was like a busy touring car event - grandstand seating was all sold out yet they were only 2/3rd full
left straight after the race as the support line up was dull.

Sorry for interrupting your burger Stu :D
Gotta agree, awesome machines, sound asolutely gorgeous and the flames spitting out the side as they went past was excellent.
Have to admit some of those grandstand seats being empty were down to me, we had free tickets for the one on the pit straight, but if I'd have sat up there I'd have fried. :hide: Had an excellent view at Surtees.

Pit walk was a bit disappointing...half the garages hadn't even opened yet when we wandered in and no sign of the drivers. Plus half the time I tried to take a picture some guys were stood in front of the cars doing nothing. Got bored after 15 minutes and wandered off. Would have been disappointed had I paid for it, gave one of my passes away as we walked back round to Surtess.

Excellent race, think it was a good idea to use the Indy circuit, meant we got to see more...pity the support races weren't better, but did mean it wasn't a long day.

Nice to meet Dicko there too, hope you enjoyed your day mate...

Amazed I'm not sunburnt, looking forward to watching the WTCC on the telly, and downloading my pics now, will post some up.

nugget

Pics - 56k beware

Here we go, I'm no photographic expert with a fancy camera like some of you lot so be nice !!!

PICT0026.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0027.jpg

PICT0030.jpg

PICT0039.jpg

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0046.jpg

PICT0049.jpg

PICT0079.jpg

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
The Burger wasn't 'that' good:) yet I still go back for more :doh:
Good to see a fellow Cupranetter also tracked down the Pipsqueek111 at Halifords in the morning - that thug hair style is so easy to track down:lol:

Only got burnt on me left leg as I rested it on the cool box its a touch sore.

BTW what was the traffic like getting out? no cops directing traffic when we left?

nugget

F2 Stu said:
The Burger wasn't 'that' good:) yet I still go back for more :doh:
Good to see a fellow Cupranetter also tracked down the Pipsqueek111 at Halifords in the morning - that thug hair style is so easy to track down:lol:

Only got burnt on me left leg as I rested it on the cool box its a touch sore.

BTW what was the traffic like getting out? no cops directing traffic when we left?

I actually managed to survive without getting sunburnt, even had the bonnet up using it as shade :D

Traffic getting out was surprisingly light, was a bit surprised to not see any police directing too. Spotted about 5 bikes parked at the main entrance, must have been a tea break :p

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
nugget said:
Pit walk was a bit disappointing...half the garages hadn't even opened yet when we wandered in and no sign of the drivers.

From the time I went a few years back, that was all the pitwalk was. A chance to look at cars in the garages, with no drivers in sight, like the pics below. They did their autograph sessions at their respective hospitality units instead and they were like rugby scrums, especially when Jean Alesi was there.

y5zdhg.jpg

y5zdhh.jpg

ice maiden

Was an awesome race, the noise was something else, just a shame jamie mucked up on graham hill.....right in front of us on the south bank

rayko

... deceptively slow
Oct 27, 2001
West Sussex, UK
Visit site
I came, I saw, I left a little bit disappointed. It was OK, but the support races were only slightly more interesting than the feature race. Although the noise of the DTMs was awesome.

I left after the 2nd Formula Palmer race, and had no problems getting out of the place. There was police letting people out/stopping traffic by the speed camera by the circuit. It took about 10-15mins to get to the M25 - so it wasn't bad at all.

I've also worked out how some people get such great photos of the cars from behind the fencing... they bring step ladders (is it naughty to be above the line of the catch fencing though?)

Pipsqueak111: You weren't by chance wearing orange with black shouldery bits, and red ear defenders on the cooper straight?

Last edited:

orca

Aug 30, 2004
N Kent
www.bdmlr.org.uk
I agree, I did get a little bored after 60 laps but they are very quick and loud. BTCC is way better, just wished it had a bigger field like DTM.
and who thought it was entertaining to spend 70 mins watching the DTM taxi rides?????? come Dr Palmer

rayko said:
Pipsqueak111: You weren't by chance wearing orange with black shouldery bits, and red ear defenders on the cooper straight?

Not guilty! I was flagging at post 22 (Clearways) just after the medical centre, where the GP circuit rejoins the Indy circuit. Had my SEAT cap on, probans tied off at the waist and just a white nomex top on.

Kristensen lost his steering and headbutted the barriers right in front of us - got a good cheer as Jamie Green took the lead.

orca said:
I agree, I did get a little bored after 60 laps but they are very quick and loud. BTCC is way better, just wished it had a bigger field like DTM.
and who thought it was entertaining to spend 70 mins watching the DTM taxi rides?????? come Dr Palmer

If you didn't like it, please, please, please contact MSVR and/or Jonathan Palmer and let him know. DTMs are due back for at least 2 more years, so it'd be nice to get some feedback in so they can put it right next year.

F2 Stu said:
I didn't, left right after the race:)

Support races needs fixing tho....

Shame you didn't stick around, Stu (though understandable with the stupidly long break), as there was some really good racing in the historics and Ginettas.

Tremendous scrap for almost the whole historic race between a Morgan Aero and a Riley Falcon. Got the performance of the day vote from the marshals on our post, and the crowd on the bank gave them the biggest cheer of the meeting on the cooling down lap.

The lead cars of the Ginetta race fought from flag to flag, occasionally swapping places, but always giving it everything. For entertainment value, car #20 lost it through our corner 4 laps in a row, made it round once cleanly, then next lap we saw it on the big screens lose it on the exit from Druids and stick it in the barriers on the run down to Graham Hill!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise