"ECS HKS BOV Kit" Any expirience?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
the whole reason i dragged this thread up, i suppose, it to get some kind of POLL results - see how many people have tried the bov, and then how many of those were successful.

I KNOW they are not SUPPOSED to work - i want to know who has actually TRIED it! Ie, from experience, and not opinion.

So far, Robdon + 3 other LC's i know of run them and run them without fault. 1 LCR ran with a possible issue (iceman) but might be resolved by removing the reservoir. I only know of 1 person who has put one on and said - didnt work.

So to me, that looks like 5 out of 6 worked.

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
i agree pabs, i would also be a little worried, going by that article though, that even if the car doesnt go into limp mode, it kind of suggests you may be doing damage long term to other components of the car

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Pabs said:
the whole reason i dragged this thread up, i suppose, it to get some kind of POLL results - see how many people have tried the bov, and then how many of those were successful.

Pabs add to your survey how many miles they have run, putting it on for 200 miles won't exactly be representative

And maybe 'How' they have checked things are 'OK' e.g, VAG COM clear

RobDon

Pro Detailer
As far as length of time goes, mine was on for 8 months straight and thousands of miles, only pending code stored was for pressure leak, which you always get with a BOV, but no check light. Craig and v-g ran the HKS for well over a year and over 12k miles, same thing, perfect spark plugs, no check lights, VAG-COM checked out fine, v-g still has his on. Guy on Audizine well over a year and 10k miles with the Forge 004 BOV, VAG-COM logs show his fuelling is running within normal VAG parameters.

Beauty of the HKS, GReddy, etc. is that they can be re-circulated if needed, simple £10 adapter and it's re-circed.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
put it this way Mr Roboto - Robdon's car is highly modified/remapped.... and so is Craigs....

Rob - recirculating the HKS - does that stop it totally dumping to atmos, hence removing the BOV element and "converting" it to a recirc DV? Or does it still make the noise of a BOV, and recirc at the same time? (obviously not recircing ALL of the air..)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Pete, that wasnt the question.

If I had an HKS, and it didnt work, but there was a possibility that it would work as a recirc, then that'd also be a big plus.

To get the HKS, I'd probably end up selling my CAI and my 007p. Then the money from these would go to the HKS.

If it didnt work as a BOV, i'd then need to sell it and swap back to a 007p. But if it works as a recirc as well, i wouldnt need to sell it.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Icecavern said:
Yeah but you'd be better off keeping the 007 ( as it's not worth much second hand ) and then putting that back on and selling the HKS if it doesn't work. You loose less money that way.

true i suppose mate. Was gonna sell it and my CAI, stick the bosch unit on for a week and then swap, but your idea makes more sense.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Yes, if it doesn't work you don't have to sell it, just get the re-circ. adapter and DV it, that was my point, it's still a superior valve to the likes of Forge etc. and will work very well as a DV, but you'll get none of the noise.

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
RobDon said:
Yes, if it doesn't work you don't have to sell it, just get the re-circ. adapter and DV it, that was my point, it's still a superior valve to the likes of Forge etc. and will work very well as a DV, but you'll get none of the noise.

So you're saying that an HKS BOV running in recirc mode with an adaptor is a superior valve to Forge's recirc valves? On what basis, internal workings, build quality?

I've had both a 007P and now an Eliminator (Forge) and both perform perfectly and are built to an extremelly high standard.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
It's a pull relief valve, so more boost pushes it harder shut, rather than boost trying to force the valve open all the time, it's also a dual-stage valve too, smaller valve for light throttle and larger one for high boost. So yes, technically the HKS is superior to most dump valves.

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=792

There is nothing wrong with Forge etc., I'm not saying anything against them (never have done, no need to defend them), but the HKS is superior. Found some vid clips with the HKS SSQV, 2 of a big bhp Audi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rq9Q0qR9yA&search=bov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlT-DVRXFFY&search=bov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWCeHWCfBiI&search=bov

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
So does this valve have to be located in close proximity to the inlet mani or will it (in theory) work just as well in the OE position; obviously with the TIP return blanked.