The New Leon Cupra, is it what you expected ?

Is the new Leon Cupra everything you expected ?

• Yes, I love it

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • No thanks, I will stick with my older model

Votes: 23 23.2%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 40 40.4%
  • Other (theres always someone...)

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters

barnabus

congrats! pick up my Crono TFSI FR this week, let the sunshine in!!

I like the performance, but I'm disappointed with the appearance (and I knew I would be). I hate the way the nose is miles off the ground and has no splitter, I hate the lack of deep fat looking body panels, I hate the poxy side mounted exhaust.

Lets face it, VW have turned to SEAT and said "no you can't have a better looking car than the Golf Gti, take all that cool stuff off"... :thumbd:

I will go and look at it in the flesh though and maybe take a test drive. I wonder whether Top Gear will review it or whether they will consign it to anonymity like the last one...

Last edited:

marctbates

It looks good. However the body styling is just an FR with a bit of lipstick on and that’s it. I was hoping for something more substantial. I mean look at the MK1 LCR and how different that looks compared to the MK1 Cupra!! It just needs something?!?!?!?! A front Splitter like on the LCR, Side skirts, better looking alloys. However I’m off to the Motor show next week it may look a lot better in the flesh.

20vtB0b

Cupra R - No looking back
Mar 25, 2003
Woking
Visit site
m0rk said:
only because I'm genuinely interested in the result :)

Indeed, it seems to be pretty much a 50/50 split at the moment which I'm not that surprised at. I would like to go to the show to see the car in the flesh, but I don't have the time at the moment :(

Bob

dangel

Nuclear Banana Boy
20vtB0b said:
Indeed, it seems to be pretty much a 50/50 split at the moment which I'm not that surprised at. I would like to go to the show to see the car in the flesh, but I don't have the time at the moment :(

Bob

ATM it's 30% outright loving it - anyone got a poll for the LCR? I'm sure it did a lot better from the get-go. I'll echo the desire to see it tho..

twin R's

Although I sold both cupra r's recently the new model seems to be lacking oomph
dont like the wheels
dont like the black mirrors on a yellow car
dont like the rear
no side skirts
no rear spoiler
no splitter
interior looks better
seats look good
not sure about the dash
am i correct in thinking from the press release that the brembos are an option now?
price might come down below £20k but to get it back up to old cupra r spec might nudge it over
my guess is that this car will get an upgrade after 24 months - bigger hike in bhp and more aggressive body styling to edge it closer to the vw r32 and audi s3

andycupra

status subject to change
i like the seats.. (as in the things you sit on..)

i voted "other" as i dont 'love it' but think its ok and there aint an option for ok.
or dissapointed.

but i think i think it coud be very receptive to a few suttle mod's. splitter, skirt etc..

Cuprabob

Feb 6, 2006
I agree with some of the other guys, SEAT have missed the point. I don't think it look aggressive enough and I also note that the Brembos are now an option. Glad I didn't wait for it.

Martinoutfront

mmm......heartburn
Feb 15, 2004
On the dark side...
Visit site
I voted 'don't know', but then considering if I'd part with the expected list of 19/20k it would be a no. Not special looking enough TBH and the residuals are gonna be sh1te when dealers start discounting them cos they can't sell as many as they did with the mk1 (which they discounted as well).

CUPRA99

Sep 20, 2004
West Yorkshire
The new Cupra is exactly what I expected and I thinks its superb but I feel let down by the alloys. They should be at least painted anthracite.

Last edited:

SixDegrees

GreyKnight said:
I like the performance, but I'm disappointed with the appearance (and I knew I would be). I hate the way the nose is miles off the ground and has no splitter, I hate the lack of deep fat looking body panels, I hate the poxy side mounted exhaust.

Lets face it, VW have turned to SEAT and said "no you can't have a better looking car than the Golf Gti, take all that cool stuff off"... :thumbd:

I will go and look at it in the flesh though and maybe take a test drive. I wonder whether Top Gear will review it or whether they will consign it to anonymity like the last one...

Err, hello. The GTi is dull, boring, not that awe inspring to look at. It drives well (drive 2 of them) but its not that great on the eye. The Cupra looks so much better than the GTI.

Both have the same platform / chassis, Cupra with 40 more HP, bigger brakes, better styling, etc etc etc.

The GTi plays on the Iconic name it created for itself in the 70s / 8os with the MKI GTi, apart from that is nothing special.

:)

chris_m

Aug 30, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
slimtater said:
Based on the £2k difference then it should be £19k. What you also get is a car built on a platform that is miles ahead of the previous generation. Apparantly the latest Golf GTi handles!!

The new GTI does handle incredibly well, but lets face it, Seat did a cracking job on a poor chassis with the LCR. I doubt most average drivers would be able to leave a LCR behind them in the GTI to be honest.

Sat inside the new FR at the dealers yesterday and was incredibly underwhelmed... i know sacrifices have to be made over the more expensive GTI, but the interior is horrible. Seats are okay, but wouldnt strike me as comfortable on long journeys.... steering wheel is spot on, but things like the door cards and centre console are downright awful! (particularly the door cards!!!)

Cuprabob

Feb 6, 2006
chris_m said:
The new GTI does handle incredibly well, but lets face it, Seat did a cracking job on a poor chassis with the LCR. I doubt most average drivers would be able to leave a LCR behind them in the GTI to be honest.

Sat inside the new FR at the dealers yesterday and was incredibly underwhelmed... i know sacrifices have to be made over the more expensive GTI, but the interior is horrible. Seats are okay, but wouldnt strike me as comfortable on long journeys.... steering wheel is spot on, but things like the door cards and centre console are downright awful! (particularly the door cards!!!)

I agree that SEAT made a good job on the handling of the LCR. My last 4 cars have been SEATs and I particularly loved the LCR but when it came to a replacement I looked at the new LEON and didn't like the interior much. I do prefer the interior of the Golf but I'm biased as I've now got one.

I think SEAT are doing the same as VW did a few years ago with the GTI. Put a GTI badge on it and it'll sell no matter how good the car looks or goes. I thing SEAT may be trying the same with the CUPRA, selling it on the back of the previous model. Although I'm sure with 240bhp it will be a great car but I expect there will be a lot of options which will put the price, like, Brembos, Xenons etc...

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Cuprabob said:
I think SEAT are doing the same as VW did a few years ago with the GTI.

Except when they did that they went from a 150bhp Mk3 GTi to a 125bhp lame ass Mk4

it never set the world on fire as a 1.8T either

Cuprabob

Feb 6, 2006
m0rk said:
Except when they did that they went from a 150bhp Mk3 GTi to a 125bhp lame ass Mk4

it never set the world on fire as a 1.8T either

Your right Mark. At least SEAT keeps the power going in the right direction at 240hp which will still be 10hp over the proposed Golf GTI 30.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.