Tesco 99 ron fuel

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
I have stopped using optimax after getting a lecture about how it gums/fu*ks car sensors from countless people in the motorsport business. Plus i'm not keen on the way it makes the inside of the manifold, turbo, downpipe and exhaust ORANGE.

Sainbury's super for me from now on. I don't notice any difference in perfomance and anyone that says they can notice 2-6bhp is telling porky's!!:D

All the fuel in scotland is from BP grangemouth so 97 ron is 97 ron no matter which pump it's from. Saying that Optimax has got other crap in it that the other don't.

mark_20vt

yaksamash...
Apr 2, 2006
king's lynn/ basingstoke
i run on tesco all the time now... car drives smoother and average mpg is now around 30-31mpg instead of optimax which sat at about 27! shame tesco have just noticed that they were selling it too cheap and have upped the prices

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
NWhiteley said:
cheers.... that about 1/2 mile from me

Same here!!
It was 95.9p around 3 weeks ago which was a bargain considering you get a voucher when spending £50 or more in store, which we do every Friday. This entitles you to 5p off per litre.
Its now 100.9p which ends up back at 95.9p after using the voucher.

Actually, I see you have an S3. I had a bit of fun with one down the A6 (from Checkerbent Roundabout to Fourlane ends where were we both then turned down Newbrook Road towards Atherton) late one Saturday night a couple months or so ago. It now has me wondering if it was you as its not everyday you come across an S3. I drive a Silver Golf GTI.

Last edited:

NWhiteley

May 26, 2006
up north
GaryM said:
Same here!!
It was 95.9p around 3 weeks ago which was a bargain considering you get a voucher when spending £50 or more in store, which we do every Friday. This entitles you to 5p off per litre.
Its now 100.9p which ends up back at 95.9p after using the voucher.

Actually, I see you have an S3. I had a bit of fun with one down the A6 (from Checkerbent Roundabout to Fourlane ends where were we both then turned down Newbrook Road towards Atherton) late one Saturday night a couple months or so ago. It now has me wondering if it was you as its not everyday you come across an S3. I drive a Silver Golf GTI.

no it wasnt me. was it a noggy blue one?, as there is another one in this area

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
It was dark in colour so hard to see properly through a rear tinted window.
Nice cars though quite rare compared to other models.

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Optimax is being phased out i believe for shell v-power i believe

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?threadid=120721

A brand new 100+ ron is going to replace later this month.

The only 2 shell garages that were within 20miles of me have now both closed for BP garages :( Luckily im moving house soon though:)

I wonder though if it will make any difference, can the ecu advance that far forward to take full benefit of the new fuel or will it need to be mapped for 100+

Last edited: