sticky situation - like a bad dream :(

Fez boy

Apr 23, 2003
Watford
Visit site
M8 tell him you are not paying and he should claim on his insurance!

If he wants you to pay tell him you are going on holiday and when you get back you will take LEGAL advise and get back to him.

DO NOT pay 50/50 or admit anything!

kaka

anyone have anything official about 'untrained members of the public' in this kind of situation...

Russ_20vt

Kitesurfing nut
Feb 4, 2005
T,Wells. Kent.
Id call his bluff and say your going to ask for legal advice, i bet he secretly knows that he can claim off his insurance but will be in trouble for having you turn the key.

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
I bet he wouldn't try that on with someone ten years older than you.

Is your shoulder hurting still after the car jolted and caught in the door slightly? ;)

I'd tell him where to go and I'd want the scratch on my car sorted, just outa principle for him trying to blag it

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Tell him to take a running jump. The car was on his property, you were acting on his instructions, you don't have to pay anything. The fact that there was another car damaged is his problem, it's his garage.

He can't claim on your insurance for it so just walk away. Oh and don't use the place in future, it's obviously a cowboy outfit.

Pete

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
couple of points.
id have thought you shouldnt have even been there certainly you shouldnt have been starting it up? health and safety issue! its an unknown workplace and your not a mech and you possibly arnt covered on his business insurence.

at the end of the day you did as instructed so whoever gave that instruction should be liable. im guessing but this works in other industries.

perhaps citizens advice might help.

good luck mate

kaka

thanks for the advice guys...

er... i called up a friend of mine whos an expert working in the insurance field... he goes i wouldnt want to take it to court, cos im the one who turned the key and i 'didnt have to', so i still have to take some blame....

he said the 50/50 offer is not bad, but its still a bit unreasonable, and i should try to negotiate it a bit...

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Not saying your friend is wrong, but I wouldn't pay anything or even negotiate. By negotiating you're admitting liabilty, when it's not your fault.

kaka

well he did tell me to make it clear to the guy that it wasnt my fault but that i am willing to pay some part of the costs

Fez boy

Apr 23, 2003
Watford
Visit site
@ KAKA

It looks like you have made your mind up to pay some thing anyway :whistle:

Loads on here have advised you NOT to pay,or get some LEGAL advise :think:

It's you choice if you WANT to pay :confused:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
kaka said:
thanks for the advice guys...

er... i called up a friend of mine whos an expert working in the insurance field... he goes i wouldnt want to take it to court, cos im the one who turned the key and i 'didnt have to', so i still have to take some blame....

he said the 50/50 offer is not bad, but its still a bit unreasonable, and i should try to negotiate it a bit...

you were instructed by a professonal ???? you never leave your car in gear ?? so you would not have know it would happen. why didnt the mech say check its in neutral and then start the car?

the defence rests.

helms

Console Race Car Driver
Jan 30, 2005
Basingstoke
i was always under the impression that you are not allowed in the work shops etc because of the insurance, if he has allowed you in there, that could be the reason why hes trying to avoid it. might be worth speaking to CAB or some1 similar to ask advise.

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
agree with last post he was breaching his insurance allowing you in the workshop...
and you acted under his instruction..its a swivel job...

he's got one to put down to experience now..:rolleyes:

davidol

New ghetto whip :)
Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
no offence kaka but you seem to want to pay, everyone has advised you against it and so will i, mechanics are confident people and most will try it on with a member of public when they feel threatened or something has gone wrong, you are not at fault (although you should really check, lesson for the future) and his insurance terms will of been voided by having you in the workshop, politely but firmly explain to him that you wont be paying as if he has a problem with that to take you to a small claims court upon which you will seek legal advice, he'll rant and rave so take someone with you if you dont feel confident enough to tell him on your own but he'll back down eventually

Stephenpalm

;) public liability insurance he has this already, or he would not be in business, that takes care of the damages to both cars. your fortunately not responsible you should have not been encouraged to act in anyway as part of the repairs team. your simply not qualified to take part in anything on his property, your not covered on his insurance I am sure he would not like them to find out how this incident happend.;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise