G tech meter

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
After using one I came to the conclusion that it can't.
Mine told me I had 127bhp compared to dyno plots never reading below 220bhp.

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
yes it can but bhp isnt very accurate on it, so i just use it for 0-60 and 1/4 which is only 2 or 3 tenths of a second out.

album_pic.php

album_pic.php

v8rush

A word of warning - these GTech ones aren't great. I got one and was disappointed, even for 30 squid...

They don't take account of body roll (so give false acceleration info), and only have a single axis accelerometer (so need mounting sideways in order to read lateral G, making it impossible to see the display...)

As for the calculations, it's pretty easy - 0-60 just measures the acceleration and as speed=acceleration*time... But of course, the acceleration is out, due to the tilting of the car, which you can't correct for in the unit.

For a useable accelerometer, I'd get the Race Technology AP22:http://www.race-technology.com/HomePage.html . Not as cheap, but more accurate (allows tilt correction etc).

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
I have a Gtech, i dont use it anymore, need to find instructions tho...

make me an offer if your interested

Its better using Vagcom anyway...

CupraJay

20v T - Its where its at!
Jan 17, 2006
South Wales
No offence..I mean, i have one myself....But as said above..take all results lightly. I mean, to record 0-60 times at a track takes ££££ worth of eqiupment..same for BHP...for something that costs £30...i wouldnt expect to much from it.

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
like I said BHP is rubbishfrom it, but 0-60 wont be a million miles off, at least with .3 of a second which is close enough to get a good idea

CupraJay

20v T - Its where its at!
Jan 17, 2006
South Wales
I dont for a second beleive it will be within .3 of a second. A few seconds either way maybe.

Some1 said in this thread theres recorded a 5.6 0-60..I find that highly questionable. Without going to an event ect, theres no way of telling properly.

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
CupraJay said:
I dont for a second beleive it will be within .3 of a second. A few seconds either way maybe.

Some1 said in this thread theres recorded a 5.6 0-60..I find that highly questionable. Without going to an event ect, theres no way of telling properly.

5.65s, I've also recorded very similar times with vagcom.
Even using a stopwatch puts it under 6 seconds so its hardly a few seconds out!!

0-100 video will also confirm its not a million miles away

v8rush

GaryM said:
0-100 video will also confirm its not a million miles away

Without spending a decent amount on a meter, video is definitely the way to go (if you've already got a camcorder/bullet-cam/whathaveyou). Trouble is, if you can read the speedo, so can umm, anyone who might stop you... :whistle:

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
:lol: at the guy claiming a few seconds either way

5.8 is very believeable, iv looked at the spec

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise