Chipped LCR and 330ci

MikeDov

Sorry guys, I just thought I would shove my two pence in here while this thread is still going.

I recently sold a very nice E36 (the last model) 325 coupe, it was a fantastic car. I have owned BM’s for around 14 years now, having my first one (E30, old box shaped one, 325 2 door) when I was only 19 years old. I never thought I would see the day when I wouldn’t have a BM, but things change. The last one that I had I sold on the pretence that I was going to get an E30 M3, yes, the old boxy one again but an M3 is something that you should all experience, however, after around a year of looking for a ‘mint’ one of these I realised that it just wasn’t ever going to happen, it’s not easy to find a car in spotless condition that is around 15 years old, if you do then you will end up paying through the nose for it and be too afraid to use it!

As for the latest, or should that be the now old E46 that has just been replaced, they are good cars, I cannot deny that, I have driven them, been out in them and several of my mates have them, I looked and just couldn’t warrant the expense. The problem with them these days is this, when I was younger (I do remember it sort of!) to have a BMW was fantastic, no one else had them, however now you can walk into any BM showroom and walk out with any BM you wanted, the salesmen in there will to coin a phrase ‘club a seal to do a deal’ I could be doing a paper round and own a new M3 as all they are interested in is shifting new metal and making money, that’s there job, same as any other car dealer.

After a while I realised that BMW’s weren’t for me any longer, the build quality that everyone raves about, well, its just not as good as the first 3 series were, an E30 was like owning a car that was hewn out of solid steel, the E36 wasn’t and the E46 is the same. The newer cars do go wrong, and god help you if you don’t have a warrantee there to fall back on, I read a post on a BM forum a while back where someone had an engine fail on a ZM Coupe, the cost of repair was around £13K for a new engine!!!!!! There is also the fact that they are just too common these days, you can go out and spend £30K plus on one and see one exactly the same as yours within a mile of picking it up from the dealer.

After a lot of soul searching and looking I decided on getting a Leon Cupra R, not because it’s the quickest thing in the world, just because its different, and that to me is what its all about, I have spent £16K on an 05 plate LCR (that I pick up on Wednesday, YAY) rather than £16K on a BMW that every tom **** and harry has got.

As for this ‘I’m quicker than you’ thing that’s going on, does it really matter, you cant go breaking the speed limit these days for fear of your licence taking a brief holiday to Swansea (the DVLA) If you want to race me, then go ahead, but there is always someone who will be quicker than you or, worse, wont care and is not insured and will just run into you!

As a final word, you can all buy whatever you want, does it make you a better person, NO, will it make you more successful, NO, will it make you a hit ‘with the ladies’ NO. Everyone is different; you make your own choices. That’s it, rant over, sorry to put you through reading that, just had to get it off my chest.

MikeDov, soon to be LCR owner, ex BMW 3 series owner. And yes, I can ues my indicators, and I hate people who drive around with there fog lights on.

MikeDov

Thanks Vern.

I hope that little rant didnt upset anyone here! Just saying as I see it.

Thanks for the welcome.

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Yes welcome along. I dont think any of us can argue the 3 series is not a great car and we all like to generalise about drivers so dont take it to heart. Well apart from all those 330d drivers.... ;)

FriarFR

Jul 3, 2005
Hampshire
f*ck me yes - bloody fog light drivers really get my back up!

even worse when they are put on cos there's a little bit of rain in the air.

doesnt anyone remember that public service announcement featuring Peter Purves??

allaction

Jun 26, 2005
Well said Mike. The fact is that most people here bought Leons' because they were good value for what they are. I did anyway. I have had a couple of big Volvos recently and when they go wrong, similar to BMs', they aint cheap. I decided to get the Leon 'cos its backed up by a three year warranty, looks good and goes as well as it needs to.

By the way Mike a couple of years ago an old guy near me parted with his original M3. Mint doesn't come into it, done about 6k from new. I think he got 10k for it and I've kicked myself ever since for not having a go at it. Even though at the time I wouldn't have got it insured so that eases the mind a bit!

FriarFR

Jul 3, 2005
Hampshire
Peter Purves (ex-Blue Peter fame) - there used to be govt. public information adverts back in 70s/early 80s telling people how to be considerate and careful drivers

there was Mr Purves in this great mock-up of a car driving along in the rain (someone aiming hosepipe at windscreen) - there was a 'car' in front of him, but the twerp had his rear fog lights on, so when he used his brakes, the fog lights were so bright that poor old peter couldnt see them come on, and "smash"....

hence dont use your fog lights unless its actually real foggy....

there was another ad. about litter - some bloke emptying his cortina ashtray at the side of the road saying "Every time my son borrows the car it comes back stinking like a filthy ashtray...."

classics!

LCR mat

LCR Eater
Apr 4, 2004
merthyr Tydfil
FriarFR said:
Peter Purves (ex-Blue Peter fame) - there used to be govt. public information adverts back in 70s/early 80s telling people how to be considerate and careful drivers

there was Mr Purves in this great mock-up of a car driving along in the rain (someone aiming hosepipe at windscreen) - there was a 'car' in front of him, but the twerp had his rear fog lights on, so when he used his brakes, the fog lights were so bright that poor old peter couldnt see them come on, and "smash"....

hence dont use your fog lights unless its actually real foggy....

there was another ad. about litter - some bloke emptying his cortina ashtray at the side of the road saying "Every time my son borrows the car it comes back stinking like a filthy ashtray...."

classics!

think i remember the last one

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Definately remember them. THey should bring them back, what happened to the green cross code as well, cross plie and radiel ads etc. People do actually take note if its on TV sadly enough.

SmiffyLCR

EBONY BLACK LCR
Apr 21, 2005
Grimsby
MikeDov said:
As a final word, you can all buy whatever you want, does it make you a better person, NO, will it make you more successful, NO, will it make you a hit ‘with the ladies’ NO. Everyone is different; you make your own choices.

MikeDov, soon to be LCR owner, ex BMW 3 series owner. And yes, I can ues my indicators, and I hate people who drive around with there fog lights on.

Well said.................................... :clap:

nick radwell

not that new
Nov 12, 2004
aylesbury
i just want to rant about lang hogging uk drivers ! they should take advice from the europeans who move out the way sometimes without the flash of ur lights and dont hog the middle lane either! also i love german roads! oh and upsetting german drivers in what they think are faster cars he he!

turbo_dan

Surely a 260+bhp LCR would chomp a 330i? How can it lose, its simple maths. Either a 330 is underrated or the LCR tuning boys are telling porkies.

LCR mat

LCR Eater
Apr 4, 2004
merthyr Tydfil
turbo_dan said:
Surely a 260+bhp LCR would chomp a 330i? How can it lose, its simple maths. Either a 330 is underrated or the LCR tuning boys are telling porkies.

it wouldnt chomp it but you would be faster. all down to circumstances and the driver. 40 bhp isnt really that much on the road. enough to overtake and pull a couple of car lengths but thats it

turbo_dan

Over a short distance 0-60 maybe, but over any reasonable length of road a lighter car with 40 bhp more should pull ahead convincingly. The guy with the BMW said at higher speeds there "was nothing in it".

So id expect more from the LCR. Wouldnt deny that BMW's are grossly overpriced and not worth the extra cash.

dejmos

Jun 19, 2006
*laugh* :D
i own a chipped beeza mk3 ~210 bhp and so far no 330 ci had real chance... know an owner of a LCR with ~370 bhp (gt2871, fmic, etc...)
he raced:
m3: till 160 kmh about 80-100 meters for the LCR...
GT3 (~400bhp): cant get away till 280 kmh...
f430: till 200 kmh 1,5 length for the ferrari...

and this was not so expensive tuning :D

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
LOL--I have not been on this site since my LCR went back about 4 months ago, but its good to see the good V evil battle still rages.
Just for the record, my completely standard LCR would stay with both 330D and petrol versions all the way up to silly speeds--Wish Id had a camera for the look on their faces as a 'poxy' spanish hatch competed with a 'quality' saloon.
David and Goliath-:p
PS--I was suitably trashed by an M3 though--and quite rightly so--Proper saloon!!

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
Fast_Eddie said:
LOL--I have not been on this site since my LCR went back about 4 months ago, but its good to see the good V evil battle still rages.
Just for the record, my completely standard LCR would stay with both 330D and petrol versions all the way up to silly speeds--Wish Id had a camera for the look on their faces as a 'poxy' spanish hatch competed with a 'quality' saloon.
David and Goliath-:p
PS--I was suitably trashed by an M3 though--and quite rightly so--Proper saloon!!

Stay with a 330D, I find it hard not running in the back of them :lol:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members