Loose feeling/rattle

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
Bit of a difficult one to describe this.. I get a bit of a loose rattly feeling through the front suspension on mY 03 LCR when going over bumps or ridges. It's like a loose feeling in the suspension and you can hear it under the car.

My girlfriend lives on a cobbled street and it is horrendous up there. Not sure if it's normal (I've only had the car 3 months) or what. Just sounds wrong. :(

Furthermore my car was MOT'd before I picked it up from the wonderfully helpful and highly competent people at XXXXin XXXX. On the MOT sheet there is a not for a worn O/S top suspension mount. Nothing was changed before I bough the car though!

Anyone in Leeds with an LCR fancy letting me take them for a spin in mine and I see whether it's just normal? If not I'll be back to the dealer (for the 6th time now).. Car has done 40k.

Along with this and my clunky brembos the car is louder at low speeds than high! :shrug:

Last edited:

muttly

Oct 1, 2005
Stamford Nr Peterborough
could b a bottom ball joint or something.. had 1 go on my car made a knockin noise when i went over a bump.. this was jus on the 1 side tho.. i told them about it when it had a mot and they dint pick it up.. so i waited till it got worse and then took it back and they replaced it under warrantee!

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
It sounds like the bottom ball joint (like already said) I had one picked up on my first MOT and it was changed (passenger side) only about £70 to fix and its been spot on ever since.

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
Cheers dudes.... I'll get the dealer to have a look. Any way I can tell if this is the case before I go to the simpleton asylum?

Perhaps jack the car up and check for any movement in either front wheel?

£70 in't too bad, considering my extended warranty doesn't cover suspsension components I might have a bash myself.

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Im 99.99% its your ball joint.

All the same symptoms as mine, although mine was picked up on my 1st MOT.

Costs about £35-£40 for the part + an hours labour!

Word of warning though, before paying, ask if you can go for a test run to check the wheel allignment Replacing the ball joint upsets the allignment of steering wheel to wheels.

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
Mitchy said:
Word of warning though, before paying, ask if you can go for a test run to check the wheel allignment Replacing the ball joint upsets the allignment of steering wheel to wheels.

Very good point, mine was misaligned.... steering off centre, ABS kicking in, not good, its only a quick 2 min job for garage to sort however, but should be done as part of the job anyway.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise