K&N induction kits for an LCR???

leon7284

Chelsea Chelsea
Jun 13, 2006
Horsham, West Sussex
Whats peoples thoughts on the new K&N induction kit for the Cupra R? Am I just being a cheap scape or are they any good? I know the Carbonio is well recommended on here but their site says that they do not do one for the Cupra R???

Advise required please people!!! :think:

honeyman

Pirates
Oct 20, 2004
Northampton
No the carbonio is for cupra's only, not sure if its true but the K&N is an open cone filter and I recall hearing that the oil on them can upset the maf sensor, I bought a Ramair induction kit sounds good and had no maf problems hope this helps.

leon7284

Chelsea Chelsea
Jun 13, 2006
Horsham, West Sussex
so is an open cone filter not advisable then? I would like some grrrr noise but also performance, I have an uprated dv which if i get a CAI I should be able to hear it right???

bushybeaver

V Power Love Machine
May 14, 2005
Mid Devon
Cuprar30 said it right, very oilly filter and it kills your maf sensor, few threads on it.
CAI carbonio seems to be the best bet, bit pricey for a filter but you can buy one for the S3 Audi and it fits staight on

Lionsio

As far as I know the Cupra R has no chance to install a CAI system, due the double intercooler, there is no space. Eventhough I know some mates here in Mexico that has adapted the CAI to their Cupra R.

I have a Leon 1.8T (non Cupra R) and have a Carbonio CAI installed, and let me tell you that after the chip, this has been the most satisfiying mod: the grrrr sound on idle and low rpms are great, and the grrrr - pssst sound on the cruising and gear shifting it´s amazing. :rolleyes: .

I have more than 3 years with the carbonio and has no problem at all. The problem with the high flow filters on a 1.8T came when you installed them without a CAI pipe, I mean when the filter is just put with heat deflector on the engine bay, that affects the MAF because the filter oil and because the engine heat, you can even burn down your MAF with the hot air coming in from the cone air filter.

For your Cupra R, check out this filter:

http://www.ttstuff.com/performance_airintake.php

I´ve seen that filter induction system installed on a Cupra R, not the "grrr" sound but performs nicely!!

bushybeaver

V Power Love Machine
May 14, 2005
Mid Devon
leon, do a search on this you will find lots of info on induction kits for the LCR, lots of peeps have done this mod in one way or another, but remember you wont get a big growl with vag's trusty 1.8t attached to it ;)

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
do induction kits actually boost performance or just make a noise??? i've heard they are a waste of money and that a panel filter is a much better buy.

also, whats this about K&N and maf sensors?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members