New guy looking to buy a LCR - or so he thought!

Hi guys, it's my first post here so please go easy :) I just thought i'd say hi and say a little bit about what i'm doing on here :)

Basically i'm 25 yrs old, I drive an Audi S3 and i've just moved back in with my parents :cry: The plan is to save up for a year or two so I can buy my own place. Unfortunately the plan also involves selling my S3:cry:

Anyway, to cut a long story short, my old man is looking to get rid of his BMW 320i (after 14 yrs of ownership) and we're looking to buy one car for us all to drive.

Now, he has driven my S3 and likes it quite a lot, and we would keep it but he refuses to drive it regularly because it's yellow and it also has the half yellow alcantara interior - apparently only girls drive yellow cars :confused:

So i did a bit of thinking and the leon cupra R popped in to my head. Same engine as the S3, decent-ish build quality, look pretty cool, and to please the olds, they have 4 doors and a decent boot.

Now the problem is the budget is only £10k. To be honest I thought that i'd be able to find a good few examples for this price, but nothing so far. It seems like the residuals are fairly strong for the LCR. Considering that it listed at £18k before discounts (which i'm led to believe were fairly generous) and SEATs aren't known for their strong residuals, it seems like i need to spend £12k + to get in to LCR ownership. I reckon I can get about £13k for my S3 which is a 52 plate with only 22k miles. It seems like S3s are better value than LCRs! :whistle:

Anyway, do you guys reckon i have any chance of getting a LCR (not yellow) for my budget, or should I forget the idea completely. I had a look at the standard 180bhp cupra which doesn't look too bad in facelift guise - maybe this would be a better bet for my budget?

p.s. do the 18" LCR alloys fit straight on the cupra?

Adios Amigos

vbpgimage.php

Brucel

Apr 29, 2005
Sheffield
As far as I was aware there was no discounting of the LCR until recently....?

Anyway the Audi will always hold its value better that is like comparing a BMW with a MG Rover.... ;)

Anyway you should be able to find one for around 10K as Spankys will soon be up for £9995 at a dealers and this is a 03plate. Think you are looking in the wrong places, Are you wanting the 210 0r 225 this will have a difference... Good idea and good luck on your search.

Brucel

Brucel said:
Anyway the Audi will always hold its value better that is like comparing a BMW with a MG Rover.... ;)

Anyway you should be able to find one for around 10K as Spankys will soon be up for £9995 at a dealers and this is a 03plate. Think you are looking in the wrong places, Are you wanting the 210 0r 225 this will have a difference... Good idea and good luck on your search.

Brucel

I actually meant that i didn't think the Audi had held its value that well. I mean, the S3 was £24k before options when new and is now £13k 4 yrs later!

I'm not too fussed about whether i get a 210 or 225, i'm more concerned about the overall condition. The car si-mate posted is in budget but look at that mileage! I was hoping for 40k miles max. tbh

Looks like I need to keep my eyes peeled for a bargain, but i dont want red or yellow - only black or dark grey.

p.s. how much are the 18" LCR alloys with tyres - do they come up on the 2nd hand mkt ever?

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
I wouldn't be too concerned about mileage.

Guy on here (Pagnobito) had a 2002 LCR which had covered over 100k miles and was still immaculate. He had done everything when needed to the car and really looked after it.

Better to have a high mile-er (and if young will be motorway miles) that has been looked after and serviced regularly than a lower mileage car that hasn't.

Set of 4 secondhand LCR alloys without tyres will set you back at least £500.

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
paul26982 said:
HE SAYS - (but i dont want red or yellow - only black or dark grey.)

well what fricking colour do you want, you seem you want owt for nowt, and are being very choosey

I think if it was me spending 10k of my hard-earned I would be choosey.

paul26982 said:
HE SAYS - (but i dont want red or yellow - only black or dark grey.)

well what fricking colour do you want, you seem you want owt for nowt, and are being very choosey

Chill out man - I personally dont mind yellow or red, but my dads the fussy one. Unfortunately he's old skool where 40k miles is considered high mileage.

Had a look on the SEAT used car locator but the cheapest is £2k and i doubt they'd be haggled down 2k.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. I'll keep an eye out for the right car and let you know if i get lucky.

bushybeaver

V Power Love Machine
May 14, 2005
Mid Devon
10k is more than enough, you are not looking hard enough.

I wouldnt say 10k is more than enough for a lcr with decent miles, if the guy a break.
Where do you look?
I know the one si-mate posted is in budget but that was very very rare £8500 for a lcr, trade price is more than that some peeps give them away.
The lcr is priced all over the place, theres a 80k 2002 on trader for 11k at the moment but theres one with half that miles newer plate and its grand less :shrug: some 210 in the eights aswell madness, yellow is cheaper tho.
I would say your looking between 10 and 11k remember the book gives the 225 £800 lift over the 210 although it just isnt worth it if your on a budget.
Good luck with your search just be Patient.
Took me two months to find mine with good miles, west county plate and the colour I wanted.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
im sure an lcr will come along within your price range but dont rule out lc/fr versions as with a remap they will hit 220 bhp.

are you certain we cant re-educate your dad? yellow is the best colour afterall:rolleyes:

welcome to the site btw:D

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Chill out man - I personally dont mind yellow or red, but my dads the fussy one. Unfortunately he's old skool where 40k miles is considered high mileage.

Had a look on the SEAT used car locator but the cheapest is £2k and i doubt they'd be haggled down 2k.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. I'll keep an eye out for the right car and let you know if i get lucky.

Sorry thought your budget was £12k for some reason