Hub Question

TimD

Jun 8, 2005
Righty..

I need a new hub before the 15th of september, basically one of the threads has been stripped and i managed to loose a wheel bolt the other day.

I am at donnington on the 15th so need it fixing before then :(

If i was to buy a hub from a breakers is it likely that the bearing will come with it? It is still on the car with 30k on the clock.

The local breakers have a hub for £45 + vat.

Seat want £57.50 + vat then another £27 + vat for the bearing, i'll then need it pressing no doubt and i have no idea who can do this locally, or more importantly who can trust to do it locally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

PS. If anyone has ibiza-cupra (Petes) mobile could you pm me, i had it but can't find it anywhere.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Most garages can press a bearing in (or will know someone who can) it's not rocket science at all

Is the breaker selling a hub, or hub carrier with hub & bearing?

a 2nd hand hub is useless and may well not hold onto a bearing again.

TimD

Jun 8, 2005
Not sure, i just phoned and asked for a hub.

So if it's second hand i need the whole carrier, which i'm assuming will bolt to the strut, etc?

I'll nip down to the breakers and ask the question, they have a full cupra in so wouldn't mind a wander around it.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
If you can get the whole hub carrier casting, with bearing, hub & ABS sensor (and ball joint if you're really lucky) for £45 you're laughing

it took me about 20 mins to swap mine out the other day - very quick & easy to do.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Look for the button in the forum area's

newthread.gif

TimD

Jun 8, 2005
Well just in from the breakers, they said i would get hub and carrier and to go back at 3pm to collect the part.

Would someone have a photo that i can look at to compare what i'll be collecting?

Don't want to find i only have half of what i need.

Thanks

Tim

TimD

Jun 8, 2005
Righty..

I got the hub carrier, the hub, abs sensor, disk, caliper for £47

Doesn't look like it has the ball joint, looks like everything is there?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
just use the ball joint from yours - it's just easier to undo the 3x13mm bolts from the wishbone than split the joint :)

bargain there.

TimD

Jun 8, 2005
I might give this a go myself, problem is everything is so tight.

I tried to take the caliper off the hub i have in the garage and i couldn't budge bolts holding it on.

Covered it in WD40, if i get really stuck i'll take it into work and ask the engineers to give me a hand, lol!

TimD

Jun 8, 2005
One last question..

JBS altered camber settings, and did a 4 wheel alignment on the car a couple of weeks ago. Ae we likely to undo all of their work by replacing the hub?

Where abouts is the camber adjustment, so if needs be we can mark up and fit everything where it was before.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
you will mess it up

the camber is adjusted on the hub you're replacing. - so no point marking anything really

TimD

Jun 8, 2005
Ahh S$&%

That aint going to happen before donnington, fantastic news, lol!

Keep smiling, as they say!

TimD

Jun 8, 2005
Any chance we can get it close?

If i didn't have bad luck with this car, i'd have no luck at all.

TimD

Jun 8, 2005
Just back from Petes (Ibiza-Cupra)

As you said the tracking is out, etc so will need to get it sorted tomorrow.

Just like to publically thank Pete for the work he did, can't beleive how easy he makes everything look, haha!

Top Bloke!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.