2.0tdi or 1.9tdi

Redcupra20vt

Jan 9, 2004
kent
Visit site
t

The 2.0 engine is only on the sport and the DSG option
According to the seat web site you can get a stylance with 2.0 dsg option

this is so confusing, you need a degree to actually work out what you can get and what you should get

Paul

Tell

Staff member
Well the DSG was on the European Stylance models in 2004 but not on the British model. I suspect the "Sport" has been downgraded now as the FR is seen as the top of the range with the Reference now having a Sport option when the Reference was the crap car initially and the Sytlance placed between it and the Sport. The Stylance was for the sedace motorist wo didn't want to bounce on sports suspension or have bucket seats.

This "new" line up you see on the web site will be after the FR came out this year so anything that is 2004 or 2005 will follow the model line up as I've described and others.

Looking at

http://www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/...modelyear=2007,carname=altea,pagetype=st.html

The sport seats aren't on the Stylance, never were, but according to that you don't get lumbar support on the Ref Sports seats, well I do on my 2004 Sport. So niffty down grading on what was the top of the range and how it was presented is what you see in the web site I reckon to make space for the FR being the new sexy one. I can't believe that you don't get lumbar support on the Ref. Sport and I'm miffed that the Sport is now bucketted in with the Reference. Ha.

Last edited:

loadswine

loadswine
Its a good spec and there are lots around.
Unless you really hate autos, I would try a DSG to see if you like that better.
Also try and get one with parking sensors as they are really useful.
Other folks will have ideas on their must have options.

Redcupra20vt

Jan 9, 2004
kent
Visit site
cruise control is a must and the usuals such as air con, cd player are too.

from what you have said above parking sensors are an option. i shall keep my eye out for one that has those.

I have never driven an auto for far. i have always been of the mindset that i will always have a manual.

I personally think a DSG will push me over budget. are they really that good?

Paul

Tell

Staff member
Well I love my DSG and parking sensors as well.

When I test drove the six speed I found the gears were placed too close together, another gear over 5 to consider, why have a manual when you can have DSG and given the partner had a habit of crunking the gears and clutch in my old car, a DSG would save me moaning and groaning about driving style, high revs and quick changes even in a diesel. I use to get arm ache on long journeys and we all know that in ten years time we'll all be crawling in slow moving trafic where an automatic comes in nicely.

Parking sensors, well the neighbours at mother's did incist on parking over the drive on the opposite side of the road making getting out of the drive pretty difficult when visiting without parking sensors to get a lock out of the drive to clear the posts and lots of wiggling. I already hit their red car on a dark foggy night which triggered the alarm ;)... so it was a must and they carried on parking there even after the incident. Oh and that's not forgetting the dent I put in my old car when backing into a concrete bollard bent into the road, on a bend in a country lane to let an on coming car come by. Rear visibility insn't that great in an Altea so decided to save denting my new car, I'll have it with parking sensors.

Jaytee

Jul 26, 2005
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Cheers for the link, however i was after a stylance as mentioned above somewhere

That one does howerver look tempting

Paul

Paul,
The problem is that you want a Stylance spec - until SEAT recently re-jigged all the specs, you couldn't get a Stylance with 2.0TDi - if you wanted diesel it had to be the 1.9TDi.
Hope that helps.
John.

cupra tdi

hi,previously i had a leon cupra tdi(1.9)and have just bought an altea fr tdi(2.0).the leon ,i feel,had more low down go about it i.e off boost performance but the altea has 1000 miles on it so could well improve.this performance differance is probably due to the differance in weight between the two cars.my car has 18" wheels with 225/40 and the fuel economy seems to be very similar to the leon,mid 40's average on full tank approx 500 miles.

mcg

save yourself some cash and the noisy 2.0 engine and all that tiresome gear changing, get the 1.9 tdi

god I'm bored

mcg

that's what I read, but personally I thought the 2.0 sounded more rough. Each to their own i guess, i really didnt notice any difference in volume. Have I posted 10 meaningful posts yet!!!

Doddsy

Apr 11, 2007
We are thrilled with our altea ... we got the 1.9 reference sport and yeah would have preferred a 2.0 six speeder but we only paid 12k brand new for it with cruise /trip standard and that solid red is imo one of the best solid colours around. I find the diesel a little noisy and unrefined maybe a bit peaky delivery too it runs out of puff quickly but its adequate and economical and great to drive and the seats are really supportive... in short a brilliant family car... providing your family's not huge anda massive saving over a golf plus.. in the end we decided to get a brand new car with 3 yrs warranty instead of an 18month 2.0 version ..depends what u want .. I get my performance and handling from my own car so just wanted something a bit different for a family car from the usual ford focus type and value for money u just can't odds it

bertandernie

Apr 4, 2010
Cheers for the link, however i was after a stylance as mentioned above somewhere

That one does howerver look tempting

Paul

Hi i got a 2.0 tdi stylance on a 09 plate with 5800 miles from gilders seat sheffield they gave me £4800 for my 1.6 altea stylance on a 05 plate and paid £8000 all i done is trawl the seat uk website .hope this helps.I am pleased with my purchase and think got a good deal .

DannyN

Apr 22, 2010
I've just got a 56 plate 1.9TDi Stylance, went for the 1.9 due to the cheaper insurance and the cheaper tax