Opinions on what she is worth?

merlincryst

Feb 3, 2004
Cambridge
Visit site
Hi All,

The time has come around again to start thinking about changing cars....

I was wondering what peoples' opinions were on the value of my LCR.

It is a 2004 04 Platinium Grey LCR which was Jabba'ed @ 10000 miles

Current mileage is 21000

Has remainder of warrenty (6 months)

Other than being chipped, everything else is standard and no options except the metallic paint were taken

No significant marks on the body or alloys, just stone chips.

I know what Parkers suggest:

Dealer £14500
Indep £13700
Private Good £12500
PX £11700

Did an autotrader and used Seat search and all equivalents come in @ £13995

Now the first dealer has only offered £10775 for a PX (Lotus garage) which I would never accept.

Should I start things off @ £13000 for a private sale?

Anyone sold their LCR lately? Did it take long?

Cheers for any opinions,

Joe

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
id say 13000
depending on the market your wanting to sell to having the ecu tuned might put some people off

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
I actually think £13k is too high.

It is nearly 2007 so its not far off of being 3yrs old now.

Considering new you can pick them up for £15500, i think £13k is way too much.

Dealer price was fair in my opinion although i'd try and sell it for around the £11500 mark. You'll not get any interest at £13k for a 04 plate mate.

merlincryst

Feb 3, 2004
Cambridge
Visit site
I actually think £13k is too high.

It is nearly 2007 so its not far off of being 3yrs old now.

Considering new you can pick them up for £15500, i think £13k is way too much.

Dealer price was fair in my opinion although i'd try and sell it for around the £11500 mark. You'll not get any interest at £13k for a 04 plate mate.

I appreciate your comments Mitchy, but the car is only 2 1/2 years old and would still have a full 6 months of dealer warranty.

As for thinking the PX offer sounded about right, I feel £10775 is well short of the mark, but it would be a very good PX if one felt they were only going to get £11500 for a private sale.

Ultimately, I appreciate I will only get what someone else is willing to pay for it...

Cheers,

Joe

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Just to give you a comparison! I bought my car at 18 months old for £12800. 23k on clock and had just been serviced/taxed. It still had 18mths warranty

Your car is 1 year older than that and obviously runs out of warranty quite soon!

You did ask for opinions and i think you'll have big problems getting £13k for it.

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
If your willing to wait a few weeks, I'll offer you 12k for it? I just need to sell my car first.

Obviously I'd like to see pics before I make a final decision. Where abouts in the country are you?

Cheers
Alex

merlincryst

Feb 3, 2004
Cambridge
Visit site
If your willing to wait a few weeks, I'll offer you 12k for it? I just need to sell my car first.

Obviously I'd like to see pics before I make a final decision. Where abouts in the country are you?

Cheers
Alex

Hi Alex,

I have only just started test driving possible replacements, so I am unlikely to have sold it within a couple of weeks.

I will sort out a proper for sale post this weekend, with photos.

I am in the Cambridge area.

Cheers for the interest.

Joe

ianrawlins

Munch
Mar 21, 2005
Kent
If your interested I have a red 04 plate for sale? pretty much the same but it is completely standard. The For Sale post "should" be in my signature below

ianrawlins

Munch
Mar 21, 2005
Kent
I personally think all LC's and LCR's are overpriced.

Surely anything in this world is worth whatever anyone is prepared to pay for it. So an LC or LCR may seem overpriced to you, but to others it may offer good value for money. Which is why they sell for the prices they sell at, trying to compare them to a toledo or a Focus ST isn't really a comparison of worth. comparing an LC with an LC or an LCR with another LCR is probably a better comparison.

And looking on Autotrader there are 7 53 or 04 plate cars between 12K and 13K.

ianrawlins

Munch
Mar 21, 2005
Kent
Thats the point though, you have your opinions and others have theirs.

A choice of this kind of car is often made based on more than just price. I personally wouldn't buy a Focus ST. I'm not keen on the looks, the interior, the image. You quote 14K for an ST2, but having looked on autotrader, the chepest 05 plate ST2 I can find within 100 miles of where I live is 15K (high mileage) and they go up to 18K (low mileage). So given the choice of the lowest price ST that I can find "locally" (15K) and an LCR a year older, but with less mileage at 13K ...... I know which one I would go for!

Anyhow, we all have our opinions and that's what makes life interesting, if we all drove the same kind of car how boring would driving be!. You stick with your car and I'll stick with mine.

merlincryst

Feb 3, 2004
Cambridge
Visit site
So to keep the conversation going, I got back from testing the S2000 yesterday and got much better news for the LCR trade in there.

If I order a car within the next three weeks, they promised me a trade in value of £11500-£12000.

That is significantly better than the Lotus garage, and close to a private sale....

Will be testing the 350Z next so will see what Nissan have to say. It seems even dealers can not agree on value of cars these days....:confused:

Joe

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
I'd bite thier hands off on the 12k before they change thier minds. Seat dropping the prices of new R's to 15500 effected the resale value of the R's quite badly, and add into the fact that the new leon cupra ( new name for cupra R ) has been announced the prices will drop further.

Buyers just aren't buying at the parkers prices unfortunately.

ianrawlins

Munch
Mar 21, 2005
Kent
As you are probably aware dealers will often hide discounts in the price they offer for trade in. I was offered 11500 for my Leon by a Toyota garage with no hidden discounts, as I said to him I just wanted a flat price as I probably wasn't going to px anyway.

12K on a trade in is a good price, as long as you get some good discount on the new car.

S2000 is a great car, I would have bought one if I had the budget.

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
What I meant was when you have two identical cars with the exception of one being a hatch with slightly deeper bumpers and slightly bigger wheels and the other with a bigger boot, with the same engine, gearbox, suspension and pretty well everything else, why would the hatch cost twice what the saloon does?! Step forward the Toledo 20VT and the LC.

Desireability is the difference. A Leon is more desireable than a Toledo.

An Audi S3 of similar mileage and age is gonna cost a lot more than an LCR, same engine etc etc (bar the 4 wheel drive identical car). An Audi is more desireable car. That's the reason.

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
Same applies to the golf/bora. You can pick up an equivalent bora much cheaper than a golf. Just a fact of life I'm afraid! :(

Martinoutfront

mmm......heartburn
Feb 15, 2004
On the dark side...
Visit site
If you've had a p/ex offer of 12k I'd rip their arm off seriously, did you get a discount on the S2000? I've just sold a 2004 53 plate standard car same miles, and colour as yours totally mint for 10.5k p/ex'd against a pre-reg STmondy. Punted it around the forums for a bit and didn't get much of a sniff over £12.5k, it really is a buyers market I'm afraid.:(

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members