Has anyone ever bought a fleet car?

thermalp4

Nov 1, 2004
South Wales
Hi Guys.

Has anyone here ever bought an ex fleet car?

Reason i ask is i've just won an auction from the Royal Bank of Scotland and managed to bag a 2004 53 plate Leon Cupra 180bhp for £6900.

Having some mixed bag reviews of ex fleet cars around the net so thought i'd post up here and ask.

Car looks mint and has full stamps.

Any comments?

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
mine's ex fleet (Arval PHH), although it only had 18k on it after 3 years when I got it. I've had no problems at all.

I'd get one again.

Steve_B

Stacy mmmm.......
May 6, 2005
West Yorkshire
I'm on my 2nd company car and would consider buying an ex fleet car. They're serviced on time and any repairs are done when required, or they are on the cars I drive :D

Fluke

All depends on how it was treated - which you cannot know - and how many miles it's done, but that looks like a bargain.

How many miles has it done?

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
I don't personally see this as a problem. I drive my car as hard as it can possibily be driven and in 50,000 since buying it there is nothing wrong with it. Most people don't keep their cars more than 3 years so it doesn't have to last forever.

Obviously I'm not saying buy one with 95,000 that has been thrashed cos its not going to last that long. Saying that though the rev limiter is the main savior. You'll probably find yourself replacing a turbo and clutch but other than that it should be fine.

Get an aftermarket warranty then everything including turbo and clutch are covered.

Have you noticed that it is VERY rare for someone to post a mechanical problem on here? (other than turbo and clutch)

Last edited:

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
I'd buy an ex fleet car. They are always serviced on time and everything that needs doing usually gets done.
Many rep-mobiles will have high mileage, but will mainly be motorway so very little wear on anything.

thermalp4

Nov 1, 2004
South Wales
Thanks guys.

The car has done 65k and has been serviced every 10k. I've seen the service book and all have been stamped by the same SEAT dealer.

I'm quite pleased really cause i cant find anything near what i've got on Autotrader for £6900.

The cambelt needs doing i would have thought as i can t see record of it. Last service was done at 58k.

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
Sounds good. I can't see that you can lose. If you only keep it for a couple of years and do only average miles then it will even out and you won't lose much at all on it.

Knigh

Jul 9, 2005
W Sussex
As has been already said - plus side of fleet cars are they are serviced every 10k and if they need work done they will get done.

Whilst the cars maybe driven a little harder this may be no bad thing.

Bought one of my ex company cars at 65k on the clock. My ex still has it and done well over 100k and is still going strong.

Go for it - sounds like a good deal.

thermalp4

Nov 1, 2004
South Wales
Well thats what i'm thinking.

Just never owned a 1.8T with over 40k on it before so a bit concerned. But i suppose you got to take these chances.

Thing is its not like the car is old. The mileage may be high but the chassis etc is just 3 years old so its almost a newish car so i'm hoping everything will be in order.

Seen the pictures and the RAC inspection notes. Apart from a few stonechips here and there it looks very nice.

Picking it up on Tuesday hopefully.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
I had no issues with my last car and it was a Bank Of Scotland fleet car, Volvo S60 D5 Auto SE, just over 3 years old with full dealer service history and 56000 miles, gave £8500 for it in May this year, PX'd it on the Leon 2 weeks ago with White Dove and they gave me £8600 ;)

My father and brother are in the trade so I always try and get my mates cars, my best mate had a BOS Fleet car, a Pug 307 1.4S 54 plate done 11,000 miles and in Jan we paid £6000 for it at BCA Bridgewater, at the time they were going with 30,000 miles for £10,000 on the Pug Dealers, so massive savings to be had.

Even if you have to spend a few quid to get it perfect (which it may be allready) then it is worth it as you can save big bucks if you buy on the right day.

By the way, in the trade the BOS fleet sale is the crowd gatherer at BCA in Bridgewater as 99% of cars are 3 years old or under and as said have been serviced on the button with no expense spared so I am sure it will be fine regardless of the miles.

Last edited:

thermalp4

Nov 1, 2004
South Wales
Always nice to hear from someone with a bit of experience in these matters.

The car looks to be in awesome condition. Obviously there will a few little blemishes here and there but the car has done over 60k so its going to be expected.

Fingers crossed.

I wonder what a 53 Plate Leon Cupra would go for at a Delaer with that type of mileage?

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
Parkers say £10155 for 30k, from a main dealer or £9585 from an independant. Part ex £8205.
an extra 30k miles won't lose that much more off of that and as I said earlier if you keep it for a year or two and do average miles then it should even itself out.

I reckon you've got a bargain.

Tam Tamster

Bargain! Wish I'd found one like that. Mine is ex-fleet although the guy in question who had it bought it and use it it privately for a year after his three year deal was up.

My wife got her Peugeot from Lloyds TSB ex-fleet with no real problems either.

ice maiden

what colour is it????

cos i just bought a personal plate from someone on here who had a fleet cupra r owned by RBS might be his car

c11rgd

Freshie
Sep 27, 2006
exfleet

where are these auctions or places where you can buy an ex-fleet???

Fluke

Mine came from a main dealer at 16 month old with 24,000 miles on it, but I can tell from the V5 that it's ex fleet, or ex corporate lease which is pretty much the same deal on a smaller scale.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.