Found the holy grail of fly/tar remover!

Starbank

Sep 22, 2005
Edinburgh
Having spent a fortune on supposedly the best products available for removing fly guts and spots of tar from the bodywork of my Leon, I honestly think I have found the best there is - please correct me if I'm wrong!

Turtle Wax (Platinum Series) Tar, Tree Sap and Insect Remover is amazing stuff!

Due to a family bereavement, moving house and a holiday I've not had a spare weekend for weeks to clean my motor (which I'm disgusted about).

This morning I spent 4 hours gutting the car and the one job I wasn't looking forward to was getting rid of the thousands of fly, moth and butterfly deaths obliterated across my front end and wing mirrors.

Spay this stuff on, leave for a few minutes and then wipe off with a microfibre cloth and low and behold absolutely no sign of any mess! Used it on the wheel arches too to get rid of the tar spots and it worked a treat.

It really is tremendous stuff.

I bought it after reading Auto Express voted it No 1 by a mile. You all probably know this already, but I thought I'd share my satisfaction anyway.

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Nice find, must give this a go. I currently use Einszett Anti Insekt / Pre-Cleaner for the flies. Having a black car means I don't have to worry too much about tar spots, though.

Knigh

Jul 9, 2005
W Sussex
I have found the Turtle Wax platinum series to be quite good products. The Wax is not bad for the money.

beefy

Oct 28, 2006
I have been told that turpentine substitute is the best thing for removing tar, flies etc.

It was a mechanic at my car maintenance course that advised me and apparently his car is spotless.

I have been too scared to try it though incase I wake up in the morning and my paint job is lying on the driveway.

Has anyone ever tried this and if so, does it work/not strip your paint.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
It won't strip your paintwork, but it will of course strip any wax or other protection you have. Once you have de-tarred/bugged the offending area, make sure you wash and rinse it thoroughly, then reapplying a suitable protectant (i.e. wax).

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.