It pays to buy "better" fuel

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
V-Power or Tesco 99RON for me. Always used VPower/Optimax in my Celica and it loved it, but the LCR seems to prefer Tesco's 99RON fuel so as it's cheaper, who am I to argue? ;)

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
I've used Tesco DERV for ages with no problems.

I think the dredges story is an urban myth. They wouldn't be allowed to sell lower quality fuel to the supermarkets.

I have seen Esso trucks at Tesco and a story in AutoExpress saying it's no different.

mattfinn

Supermarkets will vary suppliers, to aim to offer the best deals.

I always use V-Power in my Pug, and will continue to do so in the LCR (coming 2007)!

danb

Feb 26, 2006
Cambs
I've used Tesco DERV for ages with no problems.

I think the dredges story is an urban myth. They wouldn't be allowed to sell lower quality fuel to the supermarkets.

I have seen Esso trucks at Tesco and a story in AutoExpress saying it's no different.

Very true. It always amuses me to see people say "I won't put Tesco rubbish in my tank" Everyone thinks Shell garages are running super clean underground tanks with only the finest filtered premium fuel.

Simple fact is, fuel is fuel, find the cheapest RON for your car and use it. Any stories of 'bad tankfulls' tends to be urban myth. There is no way you could tell the difference between Tesco 99 RON and Shell V-Power, it's all in your mind.:blink:

kempos

Sep 26, 2002
hull
Visit site
i posted up a story from the car bible site and it stated on there that it wasn't a myth untill people started to persue the supermarkets through the courts for compensation of blown engines. (Mainly yanks using 88 ron) but since this in the early 90s supermarkets have and will only use premium stuff that they bulk buy at a premium from a major fuel vendor and by giving you a fuel card etc when you fill up to spend instore. it saves you a few pence at the pump but gains your £60 shopping bill at the checkout tills.
i have a 20vt and only ever used morrisons 95ron car feels fine to me and the same as it has done using bp ultimate. tesco 99 will probably be shell v power as they are the only fuels at 99ron.
oh and by the way on 95 ron from morrisons i still average 35+ mpg and have seen 47mpg on a very easy journey

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
all areas are served by different refineries, so all shells, tesco's, sainsburys, bp's get their basic fuels from the same garages
additives are whats added to increase the octane, so in theory all 95 rons are the same no matter where you buy them-so cheapest best

only way id make my mind up for good is if i saw a car that had been purely run on 99 and the same car on 95, when they are dead strip the engines down and see if there is any difference between the two

Javelin Sam

in my Mini i always use Tesco Super 99Octane any other unleaded just makes my mini less responsive

JimTDI

My vote goes to BP Ultimate in my derv. Its smoother off boost, and soo much quieter!

Cupraloon

Fuels

Having recently tried Shell v-power (98ron) against ordinary 95ron I can say the car did feel smoother even slightly more powerful/responsive, but it wasn't that much of a difference that I'd consider running the car on it al the time.

The difference i did notice more so was when i filled up with BP fuel i got more MPG (miles per tankful) than with Shell, using the car over the same journey over a week or two.... Strange Uhh..:shrug:

I read a fuel comparison I think it was in Auto Express a few months ago, they tried different grade fuels in a Golf Gti and a Subaru Impreza, and the greater difference was in the Impreza, which showed more power on a dyno, and better road responce whereas the Golf showed little difference, maybe thats down to the fact Turboed cars respond better to better fuels, who can say.

Cl

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members