private reg's

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
My missus got me BIG JO for my birthday about 3 years ago and i'm well chuffed.

Suits me too, as i'm 6'6 and my name is Jodie.

Well worth it IMHOjust to see eople readng it from the car behind when you look in rear view mirror.

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
My missus got me BIG JO for my birthday about 3 years ago and i'm well chuffed.

Suits me too, as i'm 6'6 and my name is Jodie.

Well worth it IMHOjust to see eople readng it from the car behind when you look in rear view mirror.

Hi, I got to know a fellow seat owner from my private plate;)

reg No LIL3520 -------- known as BIG LIL at school. I'm not big in height !!!!!!

so it can be usefull at times !!!!!!!!!!

regards

ANDY [ ANDREW LILLY ]

claire_bear

I have one on mine. I only got one because I had money burning a hole in my pocket! :)

merlincryst

Feb 3, 2004
Cambridge
Visit site
My parents bought me mine when I was 21 so have had it for 9 years (they paid £250 for it and now it is work anywhere between £1000-1500) and on 3 cars now. Again, has my name "JOE" as the last three letters.

All the transfers have been done when the car was bought and sold and usually by the dealers. Each time, the dealers have only charged me the DVLA £80 fee and so have always saved a couple of quid from not having to pay for the new plates to be made and put on the cars.

I guess some folks think it is a bit too showy...but I like it, made finding my car in the car park easy. Mind you, now I have a bright blue Lotus, not so many of those around when compared with my LCR.... :)

Fitzy7375

Oct 22, 2006
Burnley
and they are a pain in the arse to move on. If you buy a car specific one they only tend to last for one car, then they aren't worth keeping. You end up selling them off and losing most of your money doing the plate transfer.

I wouldn't bother again.

I have a private plate and it's just took me 3 months to get it transferred to my LCR. Had it on my Civic Type R and wanted it transferred when I traded it in for the LCR. The trader ( Justsports in Oldham :censored: ) said he was happy to transfer it over. I have had different traders transfer my plate on numerous occassions ( I usually only keep cars for approx 6 months ) and have never had a problem.
Swapped the Type R for the LCR and waited for the trader to ring me when the paperwork was ready to pick up from the DVLA.
After 1 week of ringing him and him fobbing me off and another week of him not answering his phone, I went to Oldham to confront him and found his place all locked up. Found out from a member on this site that Justsports had gone into liquidation ! :wtf: [:@] .
Anyhow he had sold the Type R already, so I rang DVLA to see if they could help. They said there was nothing I could do :cry:

Just happened to ring DVLA a couple of weeks later for a totally different reason and mentioned about my cherished number and what had happened to a very nice lady. She told me that I had a chance of getting it back if I got copies of the Civic Type R's MOT and Log book, then took the Type R's paperwork and my LCR's paperwork to my local DVLA office and explain to them what had happened and they might let me transfer the cherished plate to the LCR. But I hadn't heard this info from her ;) After a heated discussion with my local DVLA office and waiting 2 weeks, I finally got the phone call to say I could pick the relevant doc's up and put my private plate on :happy:

IMO it was worth the hassle because I had paid a lot of money for my plate but if I ever got rid of the plate, I wouldn't buy another one.

DamoR

Smoked!!!!
Oct 9, 2006
Birmingham
www.myspace.com
Bit late now but I've been warned in the past not to put my reg on the internet as it encourages people to copy your plate and put it on stolen cars. You don't want somebody else's speeding fines either! Probably explains why so many people block their plate up on photos. Also, encourages thieves as they know what your car has got (ICE etc)

Fitzy7375

Oct 22, 2006
Burnley
Thats good to hear, what happed to teh Typre R tho? was it sold or siezed?

He passed it onto another dealer. My local DVLA office told me that the Type R was still registered in my name, so when I get the log book back ( after dvla have rectified the reg's ) I have to send the tear off slip back to them with a cover letter, explaining that I no longer own the Type R.

Arctic

Jun 15, 2005
Newcastle...ish
ive got an irish plate on mine GAZ as my names gary, parents got it for my 21st

As for plates on net, whats to stop people see it in the street and taking down the number?

DamoR

Smoked!!!!
Oct 9, 2006
Birmingham
www.myspace.com
Arctic very true but web is probably the best means of advertising something. If you wanted to steal a Leon and put a plate on it would you drive around looking for one (driver might become suspicious in the leon) or would you just jump onto google and look for a seat forum and copy that one and nobody would ever know. Point is more for advertising what your car has got to be honest but I understand what your saying I said the same to a guy at work that told me not to post pics of my car on line with the plate on it.

cliveyp

LCR Abuser
Jan 11, 2006
Worcester
Got my initials on my plate, which was and engagement present from the other half.

Just a little touch that makes it your car, if you get what i mean.....like changing wheels and stuff, its not to everyones tastes, but as long as you like it what else matters.

Jamesemt

Oct 10, 2004
Hull
I have a private plate and it's just took me 3 months to get it transferred to my LCR. Had it on my Civic Type R and wanted it transferred when I traded it in for the LCR. The trader ( Justsports in Oldham :censored: ) said he was happy to transfer it over. I have had different traders transfer my plate on numerous occassions ( I usually only keep cars for approx 6 months ) and have never had a problem.
Swapped the Type R for the LCR and waited for the trader to ring me when the paperwork was ready to pick up from the DVLA.
After 1 week of ringing him and him fobbing me off and another week of him not answering his phone, I went to Oldham to confront him and found his place all locked up. Found out from a member on this site that Justsports had gone into liquidation ! :wtf: [:@] .
Anyhow he had sold the Type R already, so I rang DVLA to see if they could help. They said there was nothing I could do :cry:

Just happened to ring DVLA a couple of weeks later for a totally different reason and mentioned about my cherished number and what had happened to a very nice lady. She told me that I had a chance of getting it back if I got copies of the Civic Type R's MOT and Log book, then took the Type R's paperwork and my LCR's paperwork to my local DVLA office and explain to them what had happened and they might let me transfer the cherished plate to the LCR. But I hadn't heard this info from her ;) After a heated discussion with my local DVLA office and waiting 2 weeks, I finally got the phone call to say I could pick the relevant doc's up and put my private plate on :happy:

IMO it was worth the hassle because I had paid a lot of money for my plate but if I ever got rid of the plate, I wouldn't buy another one.

You realise that when you put a plate on a car, it belongs to the car owner...ie technically when you sold the car, you sold the plate.

The moral is to always change the plate BEFORE you sell the car, and to keep a car longer than six months :bleh:

Fitzy7375

Oct 22, 2006
Burnley
You realise that when you put a plate on a car, it belongs to the car owner...ie technically when you sold the car, you sold the plate.

The moral is to always change the plate BEFORE you sell the car, and to keep a car longer than six months :bleh:

It's like I said, I have had numerous traders transfer the plate for me and have never had a problem. Justsports did everything that the other traders did and never looked suspicious until they wouldn't answer my calls.
But above advice noted :redface:
Anyhow I have a works van now so only use the LCR at weekends, so I will be keeping the LCR for a lot longer than 6 months. I went through a stage of getting bored with cars very easily, I've had Scoobies, Type R's and a few more. Also the missus has put her foot down and told me that I'm not allowed to trade it in for a while:cry:
Don't think I will get bored of the LCR though coz it's too exciting :bleh:

ans4r

in had plate on a mk1 golf which read K 90LFF, also have 5 more private regs in the family

J4TT

I Buy and Sell Private Reg's

All our cars have a Private Reg on them except 1. All something with our surname or our 1st names..

BUT.....

I brought a plate when i was about 16... Iv just turned 20 now lol and i thought the 1st car i would bless it on would be the leon... Its not a plate I intend to keep for the rest of my life.. BUT it gets more attention then any modification i could ever get on my car.. Saturday night, I even had a copper come and comment on it (in a positive way)

DSCF0051.jpg

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
I Buy and Sell Private Reg's

All our cars have a Private Reg on them except 1. All something with our surname or our 1st names..

BUT.....

I brought a plate when i was about 16... Iv just turned 20 now lol and i thought the 1st car i would bless it on would be the leon... Its not a plate I intend to keep for the rest of my life.. BUT it gets more attention then any modification i could ever get on my car.. Saturday night, I even had a copper come and comment on it (in a positive way)

DSCF0051.jpg

very nice. it stands out.;)

regards

ANDY

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
Got my initials on my plate, which was and engagement present from the other half.

Just a little touch that makes it your car, if you get what i mean.....like changing wheels and stuff, its not to everyones tastes, but as long as you like it what else matters.

Hi, do you still go the GTI meets on a tuesday night ? if i remember it's the first tuesday of each month.

i have got the red LEON with the private plate. LIL3520.

regards

ANDY

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.