Totally Gutted.

Cupra Gaz

Sep 11, 2005
Linwood
Really cant believe this. think my cars gonna be written off

coming home from work on thursday night and drove through a rather larger than i expected puddle (more like a river) i was in it before i realised :( . got through it only for car to stutter and die 50 yrds up the road. sat for 5 mins and attempted to start it and nothing. well had full battery power and starter was trying to fire engine into life but to no avail. phoned my mate joe who has is own garage and he towed me home. left car at garage for him to inspect the next morning. got home from work yesterday and went round. :cry: :cry: :cry: to see him glum faced. the news isnt good. during the night the car emptied its bowels on his garage floor through a rather large hole in the sump which has been pierced by a what looks like a con rod. the heads ****ed, the pistons are sitting 2 up and 2 down which leads me to think the blocks ****ed, as well as the sump being ****ed. So the sum of it all is i need a new engine.

which i cant afford, so it was on to the insurance. i'm with royal sun alliance via adrian flux. they were extremely helpful and are sending a vehicle inspector to assess the damage next week.

dont know if theyl write it off as i'm not usre what it would cost to source and fit a new 20vT engine. and really not sure what kind of money theyd offer me either. cars are fetching £5000 - £6000 on auto trader with same age 2001 and mileage

will wait and see outcome of inspection

gazjones

thats not good news mate but there are plenty of 20vt engines around that you could souce surley seen as few written off ibiza cupras around

wazo

Oct 13, 2003
lincoln
Visit site
oh dear im really sorry to hear that mate but if you look on e38 theres loads of 20vt engines for sale not too badly priced either ....regarding the insurance i wouldnt think they will write it off mine blew up and they didnt want to know so i had to buy a new engine

Cupra Gaz

Sep 11, 2005
Linwood
oh dear im really sorry to hear that mate but if you look on e38 theres loads of 20vt engines for sale not too badly priced either ....regarding the insurance i wouldnt think they will write it off mine blew up and they didnt want to know so i had to buy a new engine

This is going through as an accident though. Serious water damage causing serious internal mechanical and hydraulic failure as my mate put it.

End of the day i cant afford to pay min of £1000 for engine + the cost to fit it and i dont have the time due to work to fit it myself. whic i would do i had the time. I can afford to loose my no claims and pay a bit more on the insurance. it only costs me £360 to insure just now. got age on my side lol

Jammy

Jan 24, 2004
Hey there, I hate to add this post but My friend had a hydrallic lock write off an engine last year and his insureance told him that they would not pay out as it was because of adverse weather which they had no contorl over.

Make sure that they aren't going to pull the same trick on you before you let them take it much further.

All the best with it though, I feel for you.

JAmes

Cupra Gaz

Sep 11, 2005
Linwood
Hey there, I hate to add this post but My friend had a hydrallic lock write off an engine last year and his insureance told him that they would not pay out as it was because of adverse weather which they had no contorl over.

Make sure that they aren't going to pull the same trick on you before you let them take it much further.

All the best with it though, I feel for you.

JAmes

Cheers mate for letting me know. So far there sending an inpector to assess damage. gonna give my policy handbook a good going over again

gaz

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
Are your mods declaired on your insurance policy also? Also if they do write it off id be putting it back to standard before she goes. Finger crossed tho mate. You might find u'll be able to buy it back cheap from which ever scrapyard it goes to and spend the rest of the pay off money to get a new engine put in there. All depending tho.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
insureance told him that they would not pay out as it was because of adverse weather which they had no contorl over.

would that stand for any excuse ? load of codswallop

makes you wonder why we pay for fully comp huh ? good luck with the car and if they do right it off make sure you haggle for a proper price - they rely on the fact most people are desperate to get back on the road and will take any offer going to get all sorted

local council's insurance won't pay for my fence after one of their tree's smashed it by saying as it was too tall it was an act of god and not their fault - after politely informing them that as to this date i have never been baptised and most certainly an atheist could they stop blaming someone who doesn't exist and sort it out themselves or provide definitive proof that he does - either way the prevailing winds that have increased most recently since they knocked down the local school that was acting as windbreak are almost certainly to blame - NOT god

PS-it looks like the tree has some form of disease too can i call the local paper to get it tested ??

they called this morning and will be round next week to fix the fence :D wasters

Cupra Gaz

Sep 11, 2005
Linwood
Are your mods declaired on your insurance policy also? Also if they do write it off id be putting it back to standard before she goes. Finger crossed tho mate. You might find u'll be able to buy it back cheap from which ever scrapyard it goes to and spend the rest of the pay off money to get a new engine put in there. All depending tho.

yeh mods are declared. have a modified policy which includes suspension, wheels, exhaust and revo. wheels, exhaust, and supension have been removed and will either be going on another ibiza or be getting sold if i buy a different car.

worst case scenario they dont pay out and i need to get a new engine :censored:

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
Well good luck mate hope all goes well for u, id be expecting you to get another one tho and keep up the modding or otherwise giz a shout and i might be able to remove some of those off your hands. But really good luck hope you get it all sorted out.

leegt5

May 17, 2006
Sorry to hear that... Quite a few people being taken unexpected by large puddles lately !!

PAUL HEV

Bananna Bomber!!
Sep 30, 2006
grasmere cumbria
when i wrote my integra type r off i bought it back from the insurance company and fixed it then sold it on!!
pay out was 7k -500 excess-1200 for the car so i got a cheque for £5300 and the car delivered back to me!

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
this is what im worried about at the moment as with my custom cold air intake my air filer sits very low to the road.

gutted for you though, but if it does get written off, buy it back, get a new engine fitted you'll be sorted and maybe even have money in your pocket

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
this is what im worried about at the moment as with my custom cold air intake my air filer sits very low to the road.

i cut about 6"-8" off the end of my CAI. As it was far too close to the road. (the filter was at the bottom of the bumper)

Now it sits perfect just in below the battery. It would need to be one very deep flood to get wet but it still gets lots of cold air

davidol

New ghetto whip :)
Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
get a K+N waterproof sock for it, obstructs power slightly (10% roughly) but will save your engine from hydrolocking

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.