power gains on remaps

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
I think for a remapped Ibiza Mk3 (everything else standard) you should be looking between 190 and 200bhp ish. Not sure on Leon figures.

Last edited:

ice maiden

Take no notice of any supposed gains...its all down to your car.......everyone quotes a book bhp.....but its very rarely right..........

I have an LCR with stage one Revo....which makes no where near what they state....but u pay yer money and take a gamble

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
you'll see similar results on both cars, since the only reason the leon cupra has 180bhp is because it runs slightly more boost than the ibiza standard.

both are gonna be around 200bhp on the road give or take a few

you wont see 40bhp increase on the leon cupra, as you would with the Ibiza cupra

gazjones

stage one remaps will hit around 200 give or take a few bhp for figures above 215 you need to spend alot on uprated parts like induction exhaust and probably a front mounted intercooler then a stage two map

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
the intercooler is still small though. and the k03s isnt that much of an improvement over the k03..it is, dont get me wrong. but as i said...the leons only got 24bhp more than the ibiza because it runs more boost. same as the ibiza Cupra R runs more boost so it too has 180bhp. but remapped the ibiza cupra will have a bigger increase because the increase in boost pressure is more than the increase the leon has.

you seem to be reading too much in to this, do you want to buy a car for performance or for practicality????

anyway..a remapped ibiza is quicker than a remapped leon cupra/Golf GTi :p

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
probably better off getting the leon then being 5dr with more room. the ibiza is ok but its not the most practical tbh

but the power output makes no difference, like i said its unfair to compare since the leon runs more boost standard but both remapped, both running higher boost pressure, he power result will be very similar

but over 210bhp from just a remap is not realistic

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
I had my last Leon custom mapped at Star Performance and came away with 221 bhp and 250lb/ft. Star's dyno is one of the better ones in the UK and from all reports it tends to be as accurate as you'll get. It reckoned the car was making 186bhp before the remap.

Other mods were Milltek exhaust, Iridium plugs, hyperboost DV etc.

If you're after smoothness and driveability, my personal choice would be custom code. REVO gets a thumbs down from me I'm afraid.

StarRR.jpg

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Nice power, but look at the wheel output, 8 bhp more than mine but 15 bhp if you look at the lottery number! I trust the wheels figure more.

cuprablue

Nov 12, 2006
Nice power, but look at the wheel output, 8 bhp more than mine but 15 bhp if you look at the lottery number! I trust the wheels figure more.

Or in other words 39 bhp loss through the transmission. Well given that a simple motorcycle chain transmission/gearbox will loose about 10-15bhp then I can easily believe that kind of loss for a car transmission/gearbox. Other thing to notice is the temperature. 8 deg is cold. A 10 deg drop in temp leads to a 3.6% increase in air density (that's assuming atmospheric pressure is unchanged), so the same car measured on the same dyno on a 18 deg day is going to be a good 7 bhp down IMO.

Then of course there is the well known variation in dyno figures and the way they measure/calculate power which can easily lead to 5% variations in figures.

So same car on a different dyno on a 18 deg day could easily give a power output of 205bhp.

Some interesting info here:

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/cf.htm

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_dp_metric.htm

cuprablue

Last edited:

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Yes I do take the temperature point, not sure what my actual temp was, it says min 16 max 30? It definately did not vary that much on the day?!?!

cuprablue

Nov 12, 2006
Yes I do take the temperature point, not sure what my actual temp was, it says min 16 max 30? It definately did not vary that much on the day?!?!

Almost certainly it didn't vary by that much but it would probably be safe to say that the lowest the temp could have been was 16 deg. That's 8 deg higher which will make a noticable differenc in the BHP output of the car. Of course exactly how much is dependant on a whole load of other variables though.

The link below makes some interesting reading with regard to dyno power variation:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/editors/technobabble/9907scc_technobabble/

cuprablue

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Sorry to hijack the thread, but any idea why my torque is so low? As bhp is a product of torque and revs, if I was delivering the 240-250ft lbs that most Revo'd LCs are then presumably my bhp would be much higher?

Actually though, I think I'm taking crap because as long as torque is holding higher up the rev range then it does not matter what peak torque is? Is that correct? I.E. at 6214rpm my torque is about 175 ft lb, 6214 * 175 / 5250 = 207 bhp (about what my peak bhp is)

Last edited:

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
A quote from this article "Another difference that can occur with gearing comes when there is a 1:1 gear ratio available. Most rear-wheel drive gearboxes will have a gear that is 1:1--typically this is fourth gear, but in six-speed gearboxes it is often fifth. In the 1:1 gear in many gearboxes, power is not actually transferred through a gearset; the input and output shafts are just locked together. This eliminates the losses through the gear teeth, and results in a higher power output in that gear."

Does anyone know if this is the case for the Leon's 6 speed box? I've always run in 5th as this suggests.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members