what mileage to change cambelt

sloppycupra

Nath.....
Apr 16, 2006
right guys im coming up to servicing my car next weekend going to do all the usual but was just wondering at what mileage should i change the cambelt my car is currently on roughly 37k miles i know the book doesent recomend a change till 120k but should i change it? also what about the water pump? when should this be changed?

advice and opinions welcome

cheers Nathan

Neel-Cupra

MK2 Leon Cupra 2.0T FSI
Jul 28, 2005
Is it 60k or 5 years whichever comes first i heard? Or just when it reaches 60k regardless of age ..

Dec 31, 2005
London
I had my 60k service done a couple of months ago, couldnt afford the cambelt at the time but getting it done next week.
Your garage can check it for you and tell you how long before you need it done :)
edit : agree with forbez, defo get water pump done at the same time, the standard ones are plastic and they upgrade it to a metal one.

AndyHazza

Ex-Awesome GTi Staff
Mar 30, 2005
Bolton
www.awesome-gti.co.uk
Normally its 60K on Diesels, the 1.8T is normally spect to 80K or 5 years. However i would recommend getting it done by 70K really. We do the cambelt, waterpump, tensioner and pulley at the same time.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Its actually, check at 60k, change at 120 as it says in the service manual.

But i'd get it done between 60-70k anyway along with the water pump.

I'm on 71k and i havent had mine done yet, gonna do it in January or Feb.

AndyHazza

Ex-Awesome GTi Staff
Mar 30, 2005
Bolton
www.awesome-gti.co.uk
I had mine changed at 82K, said in an AA report for the previous owner that it didnt need doing till 120K. When mine was changed, the belt was cracking, the tensioner was rattling and the water pump was fubar'd!!

SpareMan

Feb 8, 2006
SEAT will 'soon' be recommending all cambelts changed at 4 years regardless of mileage

However this has been ongoing since about June and it still has not been announced. Skoda already recommend the 4 year change

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Jabba recommend 70k-80k
VAG Recommend that the Cam Belt should be replaced at 120K
we suggest that this service should be taken out between 70K and 80K.

Suitable for the following engine codes:

AUM, AGU, AUQ

We at Jabbasport prefer to replace the Cam Belt, tensioner and the idle wheel as appose to replacing the Belt we also like to do the procedure between 70K and 80K just as a precaution as we feel 120K is a little to late in the vehicles life.

All Genuine Parts used
Total Job Time 3Hrs
Price £245

It would be advisable to replace the Water Pump at the same time as this part is prone to failing

At an Additional cost of £55 including 15 Minutes of labour and Coolant

Last edited:

sloppycupra

Nath.....
Apr 16, 2006
well my car is 2001 and has 70k on it but had engine replaced under warranty at 36 k so engine only has 34k ish on it so should i change or leave it for now

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
i agree with PhilW, i would get it checked at about 60k and if it needs doing then replace it otherwise id definatly do it around 80/90k to be safe. The cambelt does look strong and hard wearing as mine has now done 57k miles and it looks in great condition as my astras cambelt was a thin piece of crap and that had to be changed every 50k

roundy

Aug 19, 2006
Hampshire, UK
Quote as given by Seat Customer Services:

After referring to our SEAT Technical department I can advise that the cambelt should be checked at 60,000 miles and every 20,000 there after, it should be changed at the dealer's discretion & replaced at a maximum of 110 000 miles or four years.

I sent them a mail because I was soooo confused with the service book!

SpareMan

Feb 8, 2006
"or four years."

good to see the info I have been posting is now coming from the horses mouth now!!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise