Clutch pedal box - Watchdog complaint????

NowGottaIbizaMk5

Feb 5, 2005
Beverley
Just seen BBC Watchdog prog where they have been talking about a problem with the Volvo cars and Volvo not wanting to pay for a repair of a faulty part that was "not fit for purpose".... They did sort the Volvos in the USA and did a proper re-call. Do . . . . Do we have a case here? Should all the affected folks concerned write to BBC Watchdog and complain and see what happens????

JimyFloyd

Sep 13, 2004
Personally not had this problem on my car....

But I think it should be a recall, I mean a clutch pedal breaking is a pretty serious thing!

pdcupra

Ibiza-less
Aug 11, 2006
King's Lynn
quite an rare car though compared to volvos, and it affects older model like 2000-2002, dont think watchdog would really care, more into stuff you can still buy and BIG names, if you get what i mean!

jaketalbot

cupra Jake
Dec 11, 2006
Colchester
Mine went, and its a nightmare to fit, and the cost is ridiculous. so i reckon if there was enough of us we could get somewhere! it is a common fault, and it shouldn't be!

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Some Lupo owners were having problems with the pedal box breaking, so a few of them went to VW and said it was bad design. After a few months VW will now do a goodwill repair on the pedal box (if you demand enough though), and we're also working on getting it for the Arosas that suffer too :)

So if you have enough people to prove its bad design, go for it!

Shytot

Jul 4, 2005
Mine was postively dying to snap. Poor part. I did have mine replaced and it did sheer in two, all when stationary though and out of gear but definately a **** part, what I want as a recalled part is the effing MAF[:@] and all the N valve's

Last edited:

adam614j

Its worth trying... after mine went I wrote SEAT a nice letter regarding the matter. This is what I got back. I dont think they really care.

"Dear Mr. Jones

Thank you for your recent e-mail dated 22nd November 2006. May I take this opportunity to apologise for the delay in responding.

I can confirm that we warrant all our vehicles for a three year period as we consider that to be sufficient time for manufacturing defects to show themselves. We even consider claims for customers over that time if there are exceptional circumstances. However, there comes a point when the owner of the vehicle must accept responsibility for any repairs or parts replacements.

I realise you may be disappointed with our decision. However, I trust you can appreciate the reasoning behind our decision.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us on our Freephone Customer Service Line 0500 22 22 22 during our office hours of 8.30 am - 5.30 pm Monday - Friday.

Kind regards

Customer Service advisor
SEAT UK Customer Service Centre"

I even suggested a letter to all current owners explaining the situation. That way we could pay for the repair ourselves! But no mention of this?!

jaketalbot

cupra Jake
Dec 11, 2006
Colchester
Well blatently there's loads of people in the same boat so if a complaint was made we might actually get the part for free every time it snaps, but yeah the volkswagons made our pedal box so its there fault! all seat do is make the bumpers!

ibiza owner

IBIZA Mk3 1.0Ltr MPi
When I contacted SEAT in Ireland (my box has not snapped completely but there is a line there where the metal has weakened so much) anyway they said its out of warranty and what normally causes this is the diaphragm springs on the clutch cover plate normally break or get weak over time and that in turn means more pressure for pressing down the clutch pedal hence the metal of the clutch box above the pedal weakening more than it should and advised that I should not only replace the clutch pedal box but also a complete clutch or at least cover plate at the same time! - ever heard that excuse before? .

No mention about the stupid thin gauge metal they use for it in the first place!

In the end I drilled and bolted a nut and bolt there to reinforce it and stop it flexing any more - but yes if it is a design fault or too thin metal they have used in production of the car I think we have a right to have the cars recalled and whether the car is in warranty or out of warranty is neither here or there.

A manufacturing fault is a manufacturing fault (bad/dangerous design) thats it end of story.

By the way my clutch is operated by clutch cable, are other Ibiza Mk3 all operated by cable or are some operated by hydraulic? only I have heard some on here talking about clutch master cylinders.

Andy.