Blowing fuses: central locking/clock/interior light not working

scottuk

Oct 29, 2006
Hi all..

Ive had this problem with my ibiza 1900 tdi 1998 for awhile now.

The central locking, clock, interior lights all work fine... but the little 15amp fuse keeps blowing and all goes off..

Ive replaced it with even a 30amp one which is over double what shud be in there and after a few presses of the remote central locking pop!

anyone had a similar problem?

ps running out of fuses fast!

thanks guys and girls..

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Means you have got a short somewhere. And by sounds of things its your central locking that's causing it. Basically a loose live wire that is somehow touching a ground (any metal part of your car shell). Meaning every time you go to open it, the current sent through the wire will be too much, and your fuse will blow.

You will have to find out where the short is tho, which is a pain in the ass.

Has it got after market remote central locking (Should be on a SEAT key fob if its a factory fitted one)

Mig

scottuk

Oct 29, 2006
nope normal factory fitted cl

well i think it is.. its got the remote unit on the normal seat key fob so assume it is...

any ideas where it could be? dont fancy rippin the car apart finding a lose wire.. i do know the left indicator makes a strange hissing noise and doesnt work sumtimes but think thats just a crap switch that i need to sort

scottuk

Oct 29, 2006
but it only makes a noise when the actual indicator stalk is used so must be the switch.. saying that will have a luk..

fanxs

VRStu

Briskodian
Mar 22, 2005
Hampshire
www.fabia-vrs.com
Ive replaced it with even a 30amp one which is over double what shud be in there and after a few presses of the remote central locking pop!

:lol: :doh:

Don't keep banging 30's in there mate, there is a problem which you'll obviously need to find. You keep putting the 30's in and you'll turn your wiring loom into one big fuse!!

Start with the flexi's on the doors, they can be a good cause of broken wires or shorts cause the cable takes a good battering keep being bent and then opened.

If you don't understand what you are doing or how to do it then you'll need to find an auto electrician.

scottuk

Oct 29, 2006
Im pretty good on the mechanical side of things electrics not being my strong point but not a novice...

i only put one 30 amp in just to see if it popped... theres not point putting them in becuase they only last a few mins so not worth the bother..

thanks will have a look..

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
had something sinilair with my old 1.4 Mk2..... Seat even replaced the Central Locking motor under warranty, but that still didn't cure it....

Found the problem myself the next time I went to use my in-car charger for my phone....

the little 'bump' in the end of the cigrarette connector on the charger had fallen out into the cigarette lighter socket, and was shorting it out causing the fuse to blow !!!

worth checking it out 'just in case' ;)

Andy

jedi knight

BIG AND BOUNCY
Jun 18, 2004
West Midlands
Got the same problem in my Leon-keeps on blowing the alarm/central locking/interior lights-it only happens when I turn the interior lights on with the door open and radio on at the same time. :confused:

Havent bothered to sort it out, just avoid doing all those things at the same time. :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members