painting Wing Mirrors and Side Strips

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
Whats the best way to do this, order new side strips or just mask and paint originals? and do I order new wing covers and paint em or can I get the originals off easily. any advie would be appreciated im a bit of a nub when it comes to painting, I get the baisics but would be good to get some advice from some pros

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
if it was me i would order all new parts then paint & fit never taken covers off an ibiza but past experience on other cars is they break even if its only a couple of clips then rattle

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
I'd order new side strips as these have sticky bits that help hold them down. But wing mirrors I would just take off and use existing ones. Fold in the mirror and you will be able to get off the covers.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
ah right chears mate thats pretty much waht I thought, how would u guys paint these Ie sand down 1 coat primer 2 coats paint 2 coats lacker.

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
Painting side strips, Use wet 'n dry paper, start at a heavy gauge to remove the bobbles, working through different gauges to a very light (maybe 1000) until it's completely smooth, 2 coats of primer giving it a very light sand after each, couple of coats of paint and couple of coats of laquer

Wing mirrors, same but you shouldnt need to work on them for aslong to get them smooth.

Preparation is everything! Any imperfections when its unpainted or in primer willl really show up in the paint so try not to bodge it!

TWP

Feb 19, 2006
I was thinking about getting this done. Don't really fancy giving it a go myself tbh!

What would you say is a reasonable price to get both the bump strips and mirrors done?

I will buy new bump strips myself from the dealer but I will probably use the original mirrors. Are the silver bits on the FR mirrors just covers? Can they be taken off and painted?

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
I was thinking about getting this done. Don't really fancy giving it a go myself tbh!

What would you say is a reasonable price to get both the bump strips and mirrors done?

I will buy new bump strips myself from the dealer but I will probably use the original mirrors. Are the silver bits on the FR mirrors just covers? Can they be taken off and painted?

Reasonable price, bodyshops can vary drastically, the most time consuming job will be rubbing down the strips to get them smooth, Expect to pay £150~~~ your best off just going round a few to get some quotes

Yeah the FR covers come off quite easily.

CJFR

Ibiza FR TDi PD150
Nov 19, 2006
Northern Ireland
My bodyshop was going to do mine while i was gettin my side skirts, engine cover and battery cover colour coded, but think they were just goin to take the original strips off. Anyone know the part numbers for them. Cudn't be arsed standing in SEAT waitin half an hour for them to find them (or make a balls up and order the wrong ones. lol)

IMO tho i like the silver wing mirrors, lets people know its an FR heading towards them :clap:

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
My bodyshop was going to do mine while i was gettin my side skirts, engine cover and battery cover colour coded, but think they were just goin to take the original strips off. Anyone know the part numbers for them. Cudn't be arsed standing in SEAT waitin half an hour for them to find them (or make a balls up and order the wrong ones. lol)

IMO tho i like the silver wing mirrors, lets people know its an FR heading towards them :clap:

Part numbers in the FAQ or failing that a search they've been posted loads of times

Triple D

When i origonally had my side strips painted it cost me £100 with my eyebrows aswell. AFter around 8 months my bumpstrips started to flake, so took it back to them, they took the strips off, re smoothed them and painted them and re stook them with new glue stuff, and they have been fine ever since :D.Would advise you to buy new strips though, and get them painted, then when they are done will only take an hour or so to take the originals off, get the glue off and stick the new ones on.

ressull

Ibiza FR TDi
Jun 13, 2006
Irvine, Scotland
when you take off the rubbing strips, are there any marks left behind (apart from the glue). ie. holes etc.

was thinking about just taking them off?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.