Can't get it to go staight!!!!

scottzedal

How Fast!!!!
Aug 31, 2006
Nantwich, Cheshire
Take it to demon tweeks it quite near you they do a good job ;) with the laser alignment. My LCR goes straight and true.
Interesting, L.C. Charles took ito to ABP Motorsport for the laser alignment and this didn't cure it either.

Demon Tweaks may be worth a go though as you say.

Why dows everyones pull to the left though and not the right.

As i said i have driven on the wrong side of the road and it still pulls to the left not to the right to follow the camber.....very odd.

Glad it's not just mine though!!! :clap:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
do a bit of a searchy on here mate - you'll find numerous threads by me on this.

4 wheel alignment didnt help - tracking didnt help. New suspension didnt help.

I think it was the removal and refitting of the subframe did it, combined with a 2nd new set of suspension! (Koni FSD's and Eibach springs)

Drives much straighter now. Follows the camber as expected, but i think ALL leons tend to follow it too much if you get me - one min its pulling to the left then to the right.. my other cars didnt seem so "sensitive" to it.

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
I've had two Leon Cupras and both suffered from pulling to the left my current still does.

There is a minor cure.. and thats to make sure your front left tyre never ends up under inflated in comparison to your front right.

As said above the subframes can move back so even if the wheels are all properly aligned you can still have problems.

Just one clip of a kerb is enough to budge the subframes a klittle even if your tyre and alloy show no damage.

try measuring the distance from the back of your front tyre at the centre line to your wheel arch on both sides you will probably find a 1cm difference where the nearside front appears to have a smaller gap between the back of the wheel and the wheel arch.
If so it will need the subframe resetting..
or as I say watch your tyre pressures carefully as mines allways been there but not enough to bother with.

Arctic

Jun 15, 2005
Newcastle...ish
bourght mine brand new, took it back next day due to said problem, and reading on here seems it is a character of the car, altho it does pull left slightly tyres wear down evenly :shrug:

scottzedal

How Fast!!!!
Aug 31, 2006
Nantwich, Cheshire
If i had the time, experience and seeming bottomless wallet that you seem to have Pabs i would be able to try what you have mate. :harhar:

Another good point about the tyre pressure i keep meaning to check this.

I'll drop the right to 20psi and pump the left upto 45psi that should sort the f*#?er out!!!

Joking about that by the way...

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Mine did!!! :funk:

Although it's interesting as if I take my hands off the wheel when braking it goes arrow straight :wtf:

Exactly the same as me that one!!!

Just had the 20k service and tyres all worn evenly also....its gota be a car thing.

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
When I had my LC I took it to Micheldever Tyres and had a full alignment done. The guy shifted the subframe slightly to adjust the caster angle and it was then straight as a die.

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
i actually increased the pressure in my left tyre to try and compensate for the problem, but didnt really do much.

I don't have an endless wallet....honest... i just don't like having problems.

juan

juan
Nov 17, 2005
margate (kent)
i'v just notice this on my lcr but i think my to top mounts have gone/ on its way out so i'm hoping it down to that . i'll soon see after friday.
how much did it cost to do the subframe??

alex.b

Oct 29, 2003
Watford
Visit site
had 3 leons (2 lcrs) all did the same slight pull more noticeable on final(present) lcr due to twat tape in middle of steering wheel ,meaning you can never hold it at 12'oclock to go straight,however gave up with seat on this issue long time ago(they've been fantastic with everything else) points i've noticed to make me not that much concerned
1) car doesn't pull when braking
2) tyres wear even

one topic been mentioned here is 4 wheel aligment ,i've been told that the rear is fixed therefore offers no adjust is this true?

kempos

Sep 26, 2002
hull
Visit site
its not just the cupras with low profile tyres that do this
my 1st leon 02 tdi 90 standard steel weels also did this and was taken in numerius times.
my 03 ibiza tdi 130 did this
and now my 03 tolly does this
i kept getting told it was a road camber thing, if so why dont all other cars have the same pulling to the left or why dont they factor that into the build
2x bmw, punto, megane,astra, 309, clio, 106 passat all never did this

Phil K

Here's your sign
Oct 18, 2004
Surrey darling...
Mine pulls left and the steering wheel is slightly off centre to the left as well - does anyone else have this same steering wheel alignment problem?

As far as slightly pulling to the left goes - I've been told by a local laser tracking company that they're set up to do that so if you were ever to fall asleep at the wheel you'd head off the road rather than into on-comming traffic... don't know how true that is but I understand the theory :)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
true (i think) - but it depends on how much the car pulls to the left. Mine was near on dangerous IMO - i let go of the wheel and less than about 2 seconds later i was on the kerb. All cars will pull to the left naturally - down to the camber as well.

Beasley

Apr 18, 2006
My Leon is another member of the pulls to the left club and mines a 110 TDi SE. Might give the 4 Wheel laser alignment a go next time I have new tyres fitted.
I had an Ibiza before and never noticed it pulling to the left as much as the Leon does.

RichLCR225

Dec 4, 2006
North Yorkshire
true (i think) - but it depends on how much the car pulls to the left. Mine was near on dangerous IMO - i let go of the wheel and less than about 2 seconds later i was on the kerb. All cars will pull to the left naturally - down to the camber as well.

My LCR severley pulls to the left as your car used to Pabs, I have been to SEAT dealer (two different ones in fact) and the problem still persists. It is really affecting my enjoyment of the car.:cry:

When I bought the car the steering wheel was slightly offset to the left but the car handled fine so lived with it. Over the last year though the pull to the left has become a nightmare, the steering feels loose, particularly at 50mph plus, and not directly connected like it used to. The strange thing is that the tyres have always worn evenly from new.:confused:

The SEAT dealer has recently adjusted the subframe and this has resulted in the car actually driving straight ahead when the steering wheel is dead centre but the severe pulling to left continues.

I have had three 4 wheel alignment checks done at SEAT dealers over the last 8 months and each time the settings are all over the place, ie well out of manufacturers tolerance limits. So after each alignment I get assured that the car is now spot on as far as its geometry settings are concerned but the handling although slightly improved is nothing like how good it was.

I never kerb the car and have always tried to avoid potholes, so how can the geometry settings always be so far out? The dealership has assured me they can't find any damaged suspension components.

Cheers

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
from what i understand, a lot of the alignment cannot be adjusted on the LC.. .not sure on the LCR. The back axle is fixed, so only readings can be done (no changes can be made to improve the situation)

People mentioned that it could be a bent stub-axle, and obviously this could be replaced if it was the case with yours.

It might be worth scanning in your "results" from the 4-wheeled alignment and getting peoples opinions on them. Would be worth seeing which wheel, if any, could be causing the drag/push effect on the car perhaps?

Its what i did and it helped people try to find the problem :)

juan

juan
Nov 17, 2005
margate (kent)
had my top mount done last week and i'v only had chance to test it out on the motorway and i almost goes straight now. u can take your hand of the wheel without have 2 worry about crashing in2 the side banking!!:)

Georgie

WADDA YA WANT.. EH?!
Nov 27, 2005
FLEET
shame your not closer.. 10 mins under your car and i'd have it straight.

had this problem with my car for months, took it to several people, 4 wheel alignment the works, took it back , they'd tell me that the car was perfectly striaght, but i'd get in it, drive away, the wheel was pointing one way and the wheels the other and still veering to the left.

eventually i gave up with them and just went under the car with a friend of mine and pissed about with the track rod ends till the car was straight. its about 95% straight now, only pulls when the camber is a right biatch.

spent about £50 and 3 of my mornings going to varous places that said they coudl fix it.. and in the end DIY and "oooh.. if i turn this.. what does it do" sorted it out.

EDIT:

also replaced both wishbones due to *cough* incidents *cough* so i knew the parts were straight. both track rod ends had been replaced as had the drive shafts... so was confident that nothing was bent.

was stupi really.. as it took a little girl to fix it when all these car mechanicy people couldnt do it.. when it was so simple.

Last edited: