what is best chipping or remapping?

Big_A_Cupra20vt

Jan 4, 2007
margate
what is best chipping or remapping? i have a standard cupra 20vt and just wondered what is best way to get the power up. how much bhp would i gain from either of these? and how much am i looking at paying?

karl.w

methanol junkie
Oct 26, 2005
if chipping is done right then there is no reason why it should cause a problem!!

but remapping is always be the better option.

Big_A_Cupra20vt

Jan 4, 2007
margate
what would i gain more bhp with a chip or re-map? is the difference in price between a chip and re-map? also would i need to upgrade anything else? am i right that the engine in a cupra is the same as a 220bhp engine in an audi tt? or is that rubbish?

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
a re-map is the normal sort of thing to do...dont know anyone that chips it. well its the same base engine, just the audi tt engine has different compression, injectors, maf, turbo, and things like that

slimjimvw

Jul 28, 2006
Exeter , Devon
what would i gain more bhp with a chip or re-map? is the difference in price between a chip and re-map? also would i need to upgrade anything else?

You want a Re-map mate , no opening of your ECU involed , they simply plug into your serial port and flash the ECU with new software , job done. You don't have to upgrade anything else if you go for a generic type map like Revo.

am i right that the engine in a cupra is the same as a 220bhp engine in an audi tt? or is that rubbish?

Not really , different internals , compression ratio and turbo ;)

Do a search on Revo mate , loads of info on here .

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
if chipping is done right then there is no reason why it should cause a problem!!

but remapping is always be the better option.

THe problem is you don't know if it is any good or not - or if the person doing it is untrained (but has done loads)

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Depends where you go, approximate prices:

Forge 007 diverter valve £95,
couple of Jubilee clips for new diverter valve £2,
Green panel filter £35-40.
remap £375

You could fit the panel filter and diverter valve yourself, 30 mins tops.

Big_A_Cupra20vt

Jan 4, 2007
margate
not a bad bit of power i think ill look into having it done, i think it will be fun then i can piss all over my mates 206 gti 180 ha ha ha

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Its not all about bhp, id say torque is more what you want to 'piss' over your mates... with my mods not really proformance inhancing i made 230lbs ft from revo ;)

David.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.