opinions?

carlisle pete

Mar 25, 2006
my mk 3 cupra is booked in for gt28rs and stuff. on 8th january, im hopin for around the 340bhp ish mark, what are your opinions on the bottom end? as im sure theres a few cupras runnin that power on standard bottom ends? correct me if im wrong

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
Seeing the recent thread about a melted piston gives me 2nd thoughts about 'big' power on standard internals. I wouldnt run anything over 260bhp long term on standards.

May 2, 2006
no messing about with you is their, lol
pics pics and lots of pics when you get it done ;)

regarding your question, i would get internals done yes (personally thought GT28rs could handle up to 400bhp?)

if your after that power than why dont you go ihi? dont need internals for that too so it will be 1000's of the finest queens head cheaper

Last edited:

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
If you look mate, there are loads of IHI ibiza's on standard internals. Theres mine running knocking on 300 and it gets some abuse as you know.

Its upto you in the end dude, how deep are your pockets, there is a risk whenever you tune a motor and i think alot of it depends on the mapping.

I have heard rumours that a carefully mapped ibiza engine can cope with ~ 380.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
ATP GT28RS kit is one that utilises the standard parts (DP, etc...) you also can't run the full size 3" intake due to gear box clearence issues. No doubt on accurate rollers it'll be 320-330bhp max but please prove me wrong!!

Its the GT2871R 'disco potato' which can cope up to 400bhp.

As for internal work, I've been seriously considering it and I'm umming and arring daily whether to do it. However theres a risk that the engine will fail no matter what work it has, this is a risk you have to take.

Hell even standard car's can go bang, and a few have!

carlisle pete

Mar 25, 2006
cheers guys! ihi is costing more than gt28rs, im also gettin set of porka brakes of a gt3 on the front, hole lot is costin 5k, engine out, gettin cam belt done while its out etc! list:

gt28rs eliminator kit
550cc injectors
S3 maf
S3 inlet
ATP manfold
3" d/pipe and sports cat
stage 3 clutch
new flywheel
porka- discs, pads, calipers and hoses
custom oil and water lines
revo stage 3
and as above - new cambelt, tensioner and water pump

booked in on the 8th at
www.quattronics.co.uk

carlisle pete

Mar 25, 2006
yer im also lookin forward to c wat its gonna be runnin, im after a BMC filter! any ideas wher i can get one from? and how much? the guy thats doin it says shud be 340bhp mark but wether it comes out like that il hav to wait and see. il get pics, figures up asap as its done!

May 2, 2006
yer im also lookin forward to c wat its gonna be runnin, im after a BMC filter! any ideas wher i can get one from? and how much? the guy thats doin it says shud be 340bhp mark but wether it comes out like that il hav to wait and see. il get pics, figures up asap as its done!

sounds very good mate, your gonna have a beast on your hand once its done

keep us all posted :D

slimjimvw

Jul 28, 2006
Exeter , Devon
Personaly i would never go BT without building a stronger bottom end , they just aren't good enough , a close friend of mine has a Mk4 Golf IHI pushing 450bhp and the engine cost serious money (10k +) as std ones kept failing even when it was around the 350bhp mark.

It may be ok for a short time with 350bhp on a GOOD map (sooooo important) but don't be surprised if you have problems , sorry to put a dampner on it :redface:

The std 2 piece valves are a problem with big power to , i'm sure Bill will explain more ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.