Loud Leons

LCR User

Stage...
Jan 17, 2006
My mate is on his second Impreza sport (2.0 N/A 4wd) and on both he's only changed the exahust to a jap spec, and still gets that distinctive "burble" minus the BOV.

Still sounds flippin LOUD! :)

So would I be right in saying that the Impreza note can be acheived with a Porsche, say a mildy tuned one? :rolleyes:

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Lovely car in them examples.. But why own a non-turbo Impreza? I realise running costs and insurance are a big problem.. but I think if I couldn't afford to buy all the balls to go with my new pool-table, I probably wouldn't even buy the table :S

LCR User

Stage...
Jan 17, 2006
Insurance would be the main reason for owning the sport, (well for me mate anyways) and I gotta say, they are nice and fast for what they are! But the sport is always in the rear view mirror of the LCR......

cupra r rob

Oct 2, 2006
My mate has a p1, i always thought it made that amazing noise because it was a flat four engine. Only other car i no to come close is a v6 calibre with an air induction kit.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Ugh. Calibra. When I was 12, I liked them. Then I heard rot horror stories and saw their performance first hand.. :<

Theres a V6 near me, sorta mate of mine.. he has a good note on his. Very throaty.

How would you describe the Leon Cupra /R tone? Low, growly, gravely, roary? :S Never heard one with any mods. Only ever standard.. well, standard in induction/manifold/exhaust areas anyway.

GordR

I was considering a NOn Turbo due to insurance being low.. and a sensible first car.. but the leon is proving a better option due to economy

cupra r rob

Oct 2, 2006
rot horror stories and saw their performance first hand.. :<

How would you describe the Leon Cupra /R tone? Low, growly, gravely, roary? :S Never heard one with any mods. Only ever standard.. well, standard in induction/manifold/exhaust areas anyway.

Im not that keen on them jus saying an example. Not got an aftermarket exhaust on mine yet so could'nt say. Heard a cupra r in worksop that sounded a bit pathetic, dont no if he had jus spent many £'s on doing it up to look like a cupra r, or if it was a crap exhaust. I ran out to listen to it go past, was a bit gutted really.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
:< Shame then, Cupra R Rob. Seeins as I've only been moving in Leon circles since maybe november, I've not seen any big BHP Cupras in the flesh. Eager to hear some that AREN'T on YouTube.

Incidentally, anyone seen that 0-100 video of the Garrett GT2 Turbo Cupra R? The one where he goes from 0-40 in one massive lurch.. like 0.5 seconds? V. fast car. The 0-60 seems about 3-4 seconds :S

slinger

Dec 18, 2005
north of watford
yeah i've seen that one on you tube - the platinum one yeah? there are a few vids on there of it, it does look very quick on the speedo and from launch all of a sudden it is doing like 40 mph, and 60 come up in no time, what sort of times [0-60, 0-100/quater etc] are 340 bhp leons capable of, anyone know?

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Gorgeous Platinum, that one. RS motorsport apparently. Some German tuning company? Pretty good credentials, goign by the acceleration of that R. The drive-by videos are also quite nice. The car is loud.

LCR User

Stage...
Jan 17, 2006
Ugh. Calibra. When I was 12, I liked them. Then I heard rot horror stories and saw their performance first hand.. :<

Theres a V6 near me, sorta mate of mine.. he has a good note on his. Very throaty.

How would you describe the Leon Cupra /R tone? - Lickwid, there is definalty a tone from the engine, but being 4cylinders you do get jealous of the V6's and R32's!!! (Turbo makes up for this :D ) I cant put my finger on the tone, was listerning the otherday to the engine whilst driving and mainly on standstill, something "grovelling" about it - Not sure if thats the right word!

Also, anyone clarify the Porsche theory then? If the Porsche's use a boxxer engine, would you expect the same note as the Impreza's then? :drool:

GordR

And image.... ;)

True... but then again iv been managing a japanese import firm for the past 2 years.. so it was quite fitting to drive a japanese car :p

Ah well iv come to my senses...tdi110 here soon :D

CupraJay

20v T - Its where its at!
Jan 17, 2006
South Wales
As said..its a mixture...Manifold and Boxer. Unfortunatly, without the boxer engine..it wont make the sound.

As also mentioned porsche's have this engine, which is why they sound so damm incredible.

Its just one of those little characteristics that come with the engine...Like V8's and Smoothness.

As for putting an imprezza engine into a leon..what a waste of time and money..if its that important fella.Go get a scooby lol.

cuprablue

Nov 12, 2006
Also, anyone clarify the Porsche theory then? If the Porsche's use a boxxer engine, would you expect the same note as the Impreza's then? :drool:

Haven't you ever heard a 911?? They have a very similar characteristic engine sound to the Impreza, as said it's down to the engine configuration. Similar sound to a V config engine but not the same. In-line engine will always sound smooth and linear through the rev range and raspy at the top end.

cuprablue