Rear Beam Bushes

bensaud

Here for the ride
May 26, 2001
Cambridge
I have read a few posts on this subject but info is a bit sketchey, basically my car has been in for it's 70,000 mile service and I have been told my Rear Beam Bushes are separating a common fault on VAGs from what I understand. What I need to know is it worth upgrading to poly versions so they last longer, not really interested in the handling aspect as it's the wifes car and she does not drive it that hard, where is the best place to get the standard or poly versions and how easy is it to change them, bearing in mind I am fairly competent when it comes to working on cars.

Thanks

[B)]

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
straight forward to swap, but it's a heavy PITA thing to remove the rear beam & press them in...

I'd use std ones - they've lasted you well so far

bensaud

Here for the ride
May 26, 2001
Cambridge
straight forward to swap, but it's a heavy PITA thing to remove the rear beam & press them in...

I'd use std ones - they've lasted you well so far

Thanks Mark
I have read they can be changed without removing the rear beam it that right?

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
My other half took the beam out to replace them. can do it without a press but it took a lot of leathering to get the old ones out.

A guy in the toledo section was saying he has done quite a few of them on the car (not removing the beam....worth a look)

Upgrading....yeah! definately..i really rate the poly bushes! especially at the front end... handling is so much better......replacing your rears will get rid of the fish tailing feeling on the motorway that you get when they start to break up.....Not a nice feeling!!!

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
theres a tool you can buy on ebay that winds them back in without having to take the beam off (you drop each side at a time)

how you get the old ones out though :shrug:

bensaud

Here for the ride
May 26, 2001
Cambridge
I think I should be able to make a tool at work, I will have to jack the car up and have a look.
Thanks for the advice guy's, garage is quoting 4 hours for the job at £45 an hour, not a bad price but I would like to save myself £200 to spend on something else :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.