best cheap tyres!!!

j2vw

i need to buy some new front tyres soon for my car and was wondering which tyres would be best for it. i dont want to spend hundreds on them but dont want them to be rubbish! my car has got 205/55 r16 91H tyres. thanks

Sy

Jan 11, 2005
Midlands
Depends if you want them to last for ages or just stick to the road.

I have found the Bridgestone ER300 Turanza to be a brilliant tyre. I got mine for £60 per corner.

Over the last 2 years I have tried cheaper tyres.....Hankook etc but they to not suit the LC's weight. Some tyres are rubbish on one car but brilliant on another. I have also tried the usual stuff that gets pushed to me round where I live....Toyo's, Eagle F1 GDS3's for example but all were rubbish. Try the Bridgestones.

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
I personally think the one thing not to scrimp on are tyres. These are the only things keeping you on the road.

My old car came with Nankangs which were truely dangerous, as were Kumhos on my astra.

I bought Toyos for my Nova which were fantastic but wore down very quickly, i currently have avon zz3's which are great and i would recommend highly.

j2vw

i wouldnt mind paying that for tyres! i have got continental winter tyres on my car at the moment they seem alright altho hard to say until i can compare them with new ones. i want ones with good grip dont mind if they wear fairly fast or not altho longer would be better lol

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
i bought 2brand new tyres - Kumhos - brand new for £110 - supply fitted balanced. My MOt due as my front tyres were almost gone. so had to cought up!

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
I got 2 Kumho SPT 205/55 r16 91V for £80 of ebay 12p&p next day!!

They are better than my warn Kumho supras(tyres the car came with..)

£10 fitting plus valves

I dont get too much wheel spin from my 110 tdi and they seem to be wearing nicly at 1k miles

Koomorph

Oct 31, 2005
S London
I've heard a lot of very good reviews about Dunlop Sport Maxx - and will be gettign a set in a few months when needed. Not been able to find anywhere that sells them though..... any thoughts anyone? Sorry to jump the thread jv2W....

Raf

Sy

Jan 11, 2005
Midlands
Personally I would agree with the others that I would never scrimp when it comes to tyres. Yes, there are some good deals to be had out there and you will find that everyone will recommend something that they have tried....as in my case for example.

I think that when anyone is trying to decide what tyres to buy you need to decide exactly how you would like them to perform....ie: better in the rain because you to mostly motorway driving for example. Have a search around.

I suggestion here for where to get some from is to have a word with the guys at Camskill and see what they suggest.

Here's the link - http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s0p0

Hope that helps :D

Sy

Jan 11, 2005
Midlands

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
Just put some new Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 on my LCR. I have to say they are a revelation compared to the P Zeros. Virtually no wheelspin even in this weather. Roll on the summer.

Pricey but worth it IMO.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Anyone tried the Falken 452's?. They got pretty good reviews even from an EVO owner. Good in the wet also. I think they are only about £60 a corner from Falken direct.

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
mytyres are knocking out Toyo T1-R's in that size but a Z speed rating(higher rating so no problems) for £50.30 a corner delivered. They are are supposed to be good tyres for the price.

Myles

Jun 22, 2004
Carterton, Oxon
I have Avon ZZ3 at the fronts, they were something like £60-£65 each for a 225/45 17, and I have had no problems with them, good in the wet for me also. I have had Kumho KU31 and they are not too bad, and hardwearing.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
Anyone tried the Falken 452's?. They got pretty good reviews even from an EVO owner. Good in the wet also. I think they are only about £60 a corner from Falken direct.

Had Falken's on my 206 Gti... they're crap! About average in the dry, like Teflon in the wet, and completely melted the treads off after 4k miles... having had them on a little warm hatch, wouldn't even consider them on a larger car with a bit of power!

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
I've heard a lot of very good reviews about Dunlop Sport Maxx - and will be gettign a set in a few months when needed. Not been able to find anywhere that sells them though..... any thoughts anyone? Sorry to jump the thread jv2W....

Raf

I'm running Dunlop SP Sport Maxx on my LCR at the moment and can't fault them at all. I've also had F1 GSD3's and there's not a lot between them really. I think the Dunlop has slightly stiffer sidewalls, and slightly better wet handling. The GSD3's are slightly more grippy in the dry.

They're not that expensive either - kinda 'mid range' as far as price goes.

MyTyres prices for:

205/55/16 91Y Dunlop SP Sport Maxx £59.80
205/55/16 91W Goodyear F1 GSD3 £56.50

When you consider your tyres are the only things keeping your car on the road, you really can't afford to go for any old crap just because they're cheap.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.