It was only a matter of time (Clutch Pedal)

spinrs2k

Jul 7, 2004
had mine go saturday, plastic clip is fine so just got it towed to a local garage there gonna reweld the pedal up, lucky i was only going slow when it broke.

spinrs2k

Jul 7, 2004
got it sorted now at the local garage cost me £75 to have it welded bit steep i thought but never mind just glad its ready for work tomorrow

bigrj

Jan 11, 2007
Crawley
got it sorted now at the local garage cost me £75 to have it welded bit steep i thought but never mind just glad its ready for work tomorrow

Just paid for my clutch pedal repair. £96.00:cry: (2 hours Labour plus VAT) but thats still £225.00 cheaper than a main dealer. :-o

Andy_Ward

Just had this problem happen to me (58k). Went to change gear and it felt like my foot slipped off the pedal...but when I went to press the pedal down again it wasnt there!!

Not sure about the white clip or what exactly has broke.
When i look underneath at the pedals there looks to be a small metal arm behind and to the right of the pedal (as you look at it) that presses in with a ball joint kinda thing on the end. It looks like something should be clipped onto this, is this where the white clip goes that people are refering to? Also what do people mean by having the pedal welded?

My apolgies for sounding dumb!! Just trying to shed some light on what it is that has gone wrong as the car is in the garage now being looked at, dont want to fall for the old 'gonna be a new clutch' trick.

Andy

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
mine went on saturday coming out of paddock hill bend @ brands :wtf:

new pedal and white clip delivered up by my mate and an hour or so of p1ssing around in the pits and it was all good

im gonna get the old pedal strengthend and refit that as the weld on the new one is just as cr@p

Kevgrady

May 4, 2006
North East
Just had this problem happen to me (58k). Went to change gear and it felt like my foot slipped off the pedal...but when I went to press the pedal down again it wasnt there!!

Not sure about the white clip or what exactly has broke.
When i look underneath at the pedals there looks to be a small metal arm behind and to the right of the pedal (as you look at it) that presses in with a ball joint kinda thing on the end. It looks like something should be clipped onto this, is this where the white clip goes that people are refering to? Also what do people mean by having the pedal welded?

My apolgies for sounding dumb!! Just trying to shed some light on what it is that has gone wrong as the car is in the garage now being looked at, dont want to fall for the old 'gonna be a new clutch' trick.

Andy

when this problem accurs the white clip with the ball joint on breaks the to welds on the pedal and pushed a little part of steel straight up, you need to grind the old weld of push the steel back over and get it re-welded........................................................ im in the process at the moment got the pedal of just ready to get welded tonight but i heard putting it back together can be a pain in the arse.

I also hear that the break pedal is welded up exactly the same :wtf: if this is true thats a danger to us all, so im going to take the pedal of tonight and check. If it is ill let you know, if your doing he clutch so you can change gears again you might aswell do the break to stop yourself from dying :whistle:

Andy_Ward

when this problem accurs the white clip with the ball joint on breaks the to welds on the pedal and pushed a little part of steel straight up, you need to grind the old weld of push the steel back over and get it re-welded........................................................ im in the process at the moment got the pedal of just ready to get welded tonight but i heard putting it back together can be a pain in the arse.

I also hear that the break pedal is welded up exactly the same :wtf: if this is true thats a danger to us all, so im going to take the pedal of tonight and check. If it is ill let you know, if your doing he clutch so you can change gears again you might aswell do the break to stop yourself from dying :whistle:

Thanks for the info, just spoke to the garage, they pretty much explained it word for word how you just have! They're in the process of fixing it now so fingers crossed should have it back tonight, thanks again for the info!!

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Mine hasnt gone yet, doesnt look like its goin to either, but... it clicks and i think my master cylinder is on its way out, pedal slowly drops closer to the floor if i dont use it for a while, have to pull it out with my foot now and again.

May 2, 2006
Mine hasnt gone yet, doesnt look like its goin to either, but... it clicks and i think my master cylinder is on its way out, pedal slowly drops closer to the floor if i dont use it for a while, have to pull it out with my foot now and again.

ooooooooooh, mine was clicking before mine went, needed pedal welding, white clip and new master cylinder

Kevgrady

May 4, 2006
North East
Thanks for the info, just spoke to the garage, they pretty much explained it word for word how you just have! They're in the process of fixing it now so fingers crossed should have it back tonight, thanks again for the info!!

no [probs matey just glad to of helped ;)

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
Do all Ibiza Cupra MK3 models have this problem? Mine's on 80.000 km now and still no problem with the clutch pedal.

Its one of those things really, you either have it go or you dont! Same sort of thing as MAFs and Coilpacks, there is always something going :lol:

I had my pedal done under warranty on my first cupra and have had a new clutch pedal on my current cupra as that snapped!

I have had this click on mine now for months too which im worried about, every time i put my foot on it i get a 'click' sound! Other people are like 'You're just being paranoid' and im like 'Erm you can hear it, thats not me being paranoid'

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Sorry, i meant slave cylinder, thats the whole thing up in the footwell. Either that or the return spring has died.

Mines been clicking since i've owned the car, nothing to do with the pedal box assembly dave.

May 2, 2006
was just giving you a heads up, the 3 parts i mentioned above all went at the same time

mine started clicking the day before it went, got it fixed and no click since

EDIT: just looked at my receipt for it, they didnt actually replace the little white box on mine, even though it broke into little pieces, the exact parts that got replaced on mine were

Clutch Master Cylinder - £46
Cable Tie 61 *(whats with the 61???) - 20p
Labour to replace clutch master cylinder and repair clutch pedal - £45 x 2hours

so god knows what happened to my white box

Last edited:

NowGottaIbizaMk5

Feb 5, 2005
Beverley
Andy Ward - let me know how you get on - where the car was fixed and costs etc. I work in Hull and am getting concerned that mine might need to be done a.s.a.p. Only just 7 years old and done 59K miles so . . . . . am waiting for it to go pingsnapfukit....

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
was just giving you a heads up, the 3 parts i mentioned above all went at the same time

mine started clicking the day before it went, got it fixed and no click since

EDIT: just looked at my receipt for it, they didnt actually replace the little white box on mine, even though it broke into little pieces, the exact parts that got replaced on mine were

Clutch Master Cylinder - £46
Cable Tie 61 *(whats with the 61???) - 20p
Labour to replace clutch master cylinder and repair clutch pedal - £45 x 2hours

so god knows what happened to my white box

white clip comes with the new master cylinder from memory ;)

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I thought the slave cylinder which is attatched to the clutch pedal switch is attached to the clutch pedal. And that the master cylinder is in the engine bay?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise