Oil Consumption

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Whats normal oil consumption for Cupras?

I seem to be going through a lot of oil lately, Done about 500miles and gone through about 350-400ml of oil.

Doesnt leak or smoke at all, dont rag it from cold and always leave it cool down, i do about 50 miles a day of a mix of traffic and motorwat driving with some occaisional bursts. ;)

Car is at 72k, been revo'd for 30k and running Halfords 10w40 oil btw.

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
Kincardineshire, scotland
my cupra seems to use a wee bit of oil aswell, i think it was about 0.4l every few thousand...

i know that meredes allow 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles, and they class it as ok!

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Not what i needed to hear people. lol.

The car has been kept an eye on and checked at the same time and same parking space at lunch time every day.

I got a feeling it might be the turbo tho, been working hard for a few miles now. But i'm gonna keep an eye on it.

Any other things to look for?

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
When I say mine has used roughly 400mli've never had to top it up, Phil has the oil consumption got worse than when you first got the car?

Some engines just use oil, its if it starts to and gets worse do you know its compoent failiure, most likely turbo.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Yeah its got worse over time.

Hearing a slight vibration from the turbo as well at about 3k when it comes on boost so it might be the turbo.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Right, before i start hunting for a new turbo, what other options can i check to find out why i'm munching through oil?

I've isolated the oil breather system to stop oil getting into my pipes.

Checked play in shaft, minimal play.

What else?

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
ive done 4k miles since i bought mine and aint noticed the level dropping at all. I am using Castrol GTX 10/40W FULL SYNTH which i found to be the mutts nutts, on my astra i used halfrauds oil and it drank it like petrol and i had no oil leaks etc

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
I noticed over the weekend that mine had used abit of oil, half way down on the dip stick gauge, it was serviced at 30k its now on 34k, when we fitted my intercooler at the weekend M0rk noticed abit of oil in my intercooler pipes, Is this a sign my turbo is on its way out in the near distance? its only coverd 30k :confused: and to my knowledge hasnt been thrashed about everywhere.

David.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Dont drive it that hard to be honest, i average 37mpg all day, so i'm not caning much at all, but obviously with a bit of power under the right foot i'll put it down now and again.

slimjimvw

Jul 28, 2006
Exeter , Devon
1.8Ts use oil mate , nothing to worry about , check your manual , theres guidelines in there.

My engine in my Cupra has only covered 30K and it uses oil , had to top up quarter of the stick last night.