Back pain

CT Aviation

Had my Fr a week now and am enjoting it a lot (very impressive in the snow this morning) but have a painful niggle, it dosen't matter how i adjust the esat after about 30 mins driving I get a pain in my lower back. has anyone else had this from the Fr seats ?

Chris

yell_oh

Nov 5, 2006
Poor Seats

Yep, FR seats are very cheap & nasty, mine started with backache and has now progressed to sciatic pain (extends down right leg). Shame there was no Recaro option. Seats in Focus ST or Type R are in another league.

Lumbar support is in the wrong place, there's no under-thigh support and the padding is poorly designed so you get springs and wires digging in you in strange places!!

Try setting it quite low, wheel pulled forward as much as possible and fairly upright seatback, that's about as comfy as it gets :(

But at least they're better than the ones in the boggo 1.6 leon I've got as a courtesy car for a few months while they fix my alarm.

CT Aviation

Don't know whether I can live with this, which is a shame because it is a great car and I can ill afford to loose loads of money having had it only a week but will have to as it is destroying my back. it is really quite uncomfortable. I wonder if Seat UK would be interested in my problem ?

Birdy

Nov 30, 2006
Manchester (astley)
Don't see a problem with mine but as above i do have my seat as low as it goes with the wheel as far as it goes back and low, with my back up straight.

A lot better than my Focus Sti.

CT Aviation

Had mine in exactly that position, as I do in all my cars but it still gives me a constant pain in my lower back. I have mailed Seat customer service about my problem so hopefully they may be able to offer a cure ( I just hope they are better than Ford customer service were when my wife's new car rattled from day one and couldn't be fixed and all they offered nothing after it had been in the garage for 30 days and still rattled constantly, which is why i changed to a different make)

Chris

HarryKatinnen

Don't know whether I can live with this, which is a shame because it is a great car and I can ill afford to loose loads of money having had it only a week but will have to as it is destroying my back. it is really quite uncomfortable. I wonder if Seat UK would be interested in my problem ?

Rather than take a huge drop on selling the car could you not fit a pair of aftermarket Recaros? OK you won't have the FR logo but does it matter. I find the seats in the Sport very good but I think they are a different style to the FR?

yell_oh

Nov 5, 2006
Seat Uk = You're Joking

Seat UK customer service is appaling. They don't even care about the alarm problem that's affecting everyone (some people's cars have been off road for 2 months now!!). They don't return any phone calls, ignore letters & emails... so don't expect much response about the seat comfort!

As for aftermarket seats, unfortunately those days are gone thanks to side airbags... you might be able to fit Cupra seats though if they're any better, but will be v. pricey from SEAT.

I'm looking to sell my FR also... too many problems, just take the hit on the loss and go back to BMW where I had *no* faults in 8 years.

CT Aviation

Thanks for all the replies everyone, whoever said it was right about Seat customer care, not even an aknowledgement of my email, wonder if thier complaints department is just like the Carlsberg one in the TV advert.
Anyhow, today I tried all the suggestions and tried using the cushions off the sofa which helped a lot and shows there is just not enough support in the seat.Or it could have been the pain killers I have been taking every three hours. Personally this is close to the best driving car I have had, quick enough to keep me happy, handles and grips like a car twice it's price and has so far returned 40 mpg on my daily 100 mile commute. I will get something out of Seat to get them to improve the seats.

Chris

A16NS V

Don't tell my boss
May 2, 2005
Middle-lands
This is a bit worrying. I am looking to change mine later this year and the new FR is top choice so far (Octavia Vrs close second:duck:)
I know exactly how you feel as the A4 I had previously did exactly the same. You could almost time it to the minute. I've got leather seats in my FR which I have not had anything to complain about but having sat in a Mk2 FR I couldn't help feel that it was similar to the Audi's driving position as you sit more 'in the car' not on top of it (if that makes sense?)

I've got to arrange a test drive soon but you don't get long enough in the saddle to find out. :(

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
I disagree with the whole back pain problem. I find the FR seats really nice in pretty much every angle. I took my Dad to Halifax to watch the footy last weekend on a 380 mile round trip. He has terrible problems with his back but said they supported him far better than any seat before. And yes the FR is on 18'' wheels so the ride is firm [B)]

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.