lcr handbrake light problem please help!

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
hi, got into the lcr today and pulled away after about 30 seconds the handbrake light started flashing with 3 loud beeps like the beep you get when low on petrol ect, after 3 beeps it flashes for abit longer then goes out untill another few seconds has passed then it does it again it will keep doing this untill i stop and turn of the ignition, if you start it with the handbrake on everything is fine its when its released and you pull away it will bring the light on, now i can only guess this is a faulty handbrake switch but what do you think it could be?
if it is the switch where is it located?
also ive had the engine light come on a couple of times recently, i dont know why but everytime it has come on the car has been a poig to drive like a second of hesitation on the throttle, easilly stall it if i pull away when its playing up, ive changed all the coil packs as i thought it was that because 1 did fail on me so i changed the lot, but it didnt make a difference, do you think it could be the maf?
thanks for any help
Dave

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
You sure your handbrake was fully down?

If you drive off with the handbrake still engaged, even a little bit, you will get the warning beeps.

If it was fully down, i would imagine its the sensor at fault.

As to flickering engine light, i would have said coil packs but if you've already replaced them then it could be anything.

Boost leak? Spark plugs? Dead maf?

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Dave you need to scan ur car/ecu with vag com!

if you dont know anyone near you with vag com then go to a stealer and tell them ur problem and that the CEL came on... they will scan for fault codes and hopefully tell you wats up!

good luck! :)

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
No i dont know exactly where it is but it has to be around the handbrake somewhere so it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Have you noticed a decrease in performance?

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
hi james!, i have a better idea i come and meet you and you scan it for me :p heheh, i havent noticed a decrease in performance but to be honest i havent given it a pasting lately, ill strip the handbrake area tomorrow and see if i can see it,
thanks for the replies
Dave

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
your more than welcome to visit me dave, and il try and help! :)

however il be going to the Herts meet 2mo night... get urself down there maybe?! :shrug:

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
ahh i would mate but ive got to meet a plasterer tomorrow at 6 to get a price on skimming a house, i invested in another house to try and make a couple of quid so ive been busy with that lately maybe i could catch up with you over the weekend, you still on the same number? dont expect you to drive anywhere ill come to you, then you could take me for spin in yours, ;)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
lol when i first read ur meeting a plasterer i thought thats right, Dave's down the pub with Henry! :lol:

yea im still on the same number... as for the weekend, im quite busy due to the mrs! :blink: on Sunday im meant to be going somewhere (a 45 min drive away apparently) with her

as for Saturday, im not sure wats going on... meant to be playing football but i think the game has been cancelled so we may have training instead!

im sure if u did pop down on Saturday tho i could sort you out!

best bet is to call me Friday eve!

EDIT: im planning on taking it easy and staying at home on fri night as im out drinking sat night and im recovering from a cold at the mo (2mo is my last day on antibiotics! :D) so if ur free fri eve we could do it then?!

Last edited:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
did u read my edit in the post above dave?!

"EDIT: im planning on taking it easy and staying at home on fri night as im out drinking sat night and im recovering from a cold at the mo (2mo is my last day on antibiotics!:D) so if ur free fri eve we could do it then?!"

just call me friday buddie! :)

Last edited:

bonedoc

Oct 4, 2005
Dave,
I have been having the same problem intermittently for eighteen months. The car has been with the main delaers four times, and they cannot find a fault. Diagnostics don't show anything. At last attempt he said the break sensor was loose. Problem came back today.
Did you ever get to the bottom of it?
Did you replace it yourself/ where did you get the sensor?
It'd be good to hear what happened to your problem.
Cheers, Max

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=958556

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
hi mate, well it was actually the slave cylinder in the gearbox losing brake fluid when it gets to a certain level in the res the handbrake warning light comes on, it didnt have to lose much fluid to bring the light on either, hope this helps mate

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
hi mate, well it was actually the slave cylinder in the gearbox losing brake fluid when it gets to a certain level in the res the handbrake warning light comes on, it didnt have to lose much fluid to bring the light on either, hope this helps mate

Think I might have this problem too. Light was coming on, fluid level low, got it topped up and the brake system checked over with no leaks found. Am now monitoring the fluid level to see if it continues to drop.
How big a deal was it to change the slave?
Was it a PITA?

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
well i would defo say this is your problem mate, the clutch slave cylinder is in the gearbox, it will gradually get worse and brake fluid will contaminate the clutch sdo new clutch to, but to be honest you might as well get a new clutch anyway, i claimed on my warrenty but they didnt want to know about the clutch! tossers! anyway i cost about 500 all in all i think, keep a close eye on that brake res as its hard to see the level with that sillly filter in the top, in case you didnt already know the clutch and brake fluid are the same mate,
Thanks

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members