LCR or Subaru Impreza

wakko

Jul 27, 2005
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hi Guys,

I'm coming to the time when it time to change my company car. I currently have an 54 LCR (225) but because of the way my company is funding the cars i can now buy any car i want. So i see my choices as these:

Keep my LCR, 225BHP and FWD
Buy an 54/55, JDM STI 300+ BHP and 4WD

The Scooby will be more expensive to run than the LCR no doubt. Question is can you tune up the LCR (engine and suspension mods) to anywhere near the JDM STI and will it be able to get the power down through FWD?

Any of you guys got any experience with a tuned LCR to help me make my mind up?

Any advice welcome. ;)

Last edited:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Have a look in the Big Turbo forum section and you'll find loads of information about highly tuned LCR's that will outgun most things on the road, let alone Scoobys.

How much power you can get from the LCR depends on how much money you're willing to invest. An IHI conversion with the relevant parts to keep it safe and reliable will see you on the sunny side of 350bhp. Add an LSD and a good suspension setup and you'll have a very capable car.

luke

Sep 30, 2004
Hants
If you can buy any car you want the Carrera GT would be my choice ;)

If you can live with the looks of the Impreza then go for it, the WR1 would be my choice. The newer ones are certainly less hideous than the 01/02 versions.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I don't know where in the country you are, but if you really want a JDM STI then a local car dealer to me in Southampton has an STi Spec C JDM with 345bhp for sale for £17k. That's a lot of car for the money!

MancBen

Hi Guys,

I'm coming to the time when it time to change my company car. I currently have an 54 LCR (225) but because of the way my company is funding the cars i can now buy any car i want. So i see my choices as these:

Keep my LCR, 225BHP and FWD
Buy an 54/55, JDM STI 300+ BHP and 4WD

The Scooby will be more expensive to run than the LCR no doubt. Question is can you tune up the LCR (engine and suspension mods) to anywhere near the JDM STI and will it be able to get the power down through FWD?

Any of you guys got any experience with a tuned LCR to help me make my mind up?

Any advice welcome. ;)

If your company are paying for it, and they are your choices, I'd go with the STi. I used to have a classic PPP impreza. I think my current LCR 225 packs a similar punch but the impreza understeered like a pig, drank like a fish (20mpg) and the brakes were turd. Things have moved on though and the STi is a real weapon now.

A few thoughts though: Are they your only choices ? Have you driven an STi - The ride is HARSH. The LCR is always going to be a compromise due to it's fwd nature, especially if you start power hunting. Do you have a job where image is important ? (I'd feel a bit of a fool meeting customers in an STi - maybe that's just me tho !). I'm guessing you've got about £15K to spend on your car - There are a lot of options in that bracket: R32, RX8, 330ci, ST, S2000 etc :)

Cheers
Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 29, 2006
Poole
I'd never buy a scooby because there are just so many on the road!
I like the fact that there are so many less LC/LCR cars.

ice maiden

I had an LCR and loved it.......until I drove a scooby...there is nothing like the way they get the power down.....I have just sold the LCR and bought an impreza and havent looked back

Danbo

Sideways is forwards
Feb 20, 2004
Visit site
I had a modified classic Impreza running about 280bhp before the Revo'd LCR.

I would always go with the Impreza if you can afford the running costs.

The car was so much more fun to drive than the LCR. No comparison. But there is also no comparison to the monthly running costs.

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
Agreed that the Impy will always put the power down better, but then thats 4WD for you.

A mate still have his Terzo Imp, and altho it's a nice car the GT4 I had used to show it up on occasion..

The other thing I can't stand is the build on the Imp's...the doors sound like they're made of Tesco's value tin foil when you shut them, and the boot lid is worse...all be it in the name of weight saving, but TBH I much prefer that quality clunk from my LC over an Imp.

All that said...if the company is paying then it makes the choice a little harder.

The Mk2 Leon suggestion is a good one, and an R32 would be most pleasurable!

I'd stick with the LCR, and save the pennies for an Atom if you're looking for the stupid power experience :D

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
are you just considering these 2 cars? if so we'll all shut up

but, have you though about an nissan 350z (RWD) or a chipped audi S3 (4WD) ?

the scooby is fast, my mate had a P1 and he hated it when it rained as it was so noisey, he reckoned the overall quality of it was rubbish.

it does my head in when i get in the wife's 206 D turbo as that is so plasticy and noisey on the road, so to me the ride and build quality of a car is very important.

what sort of things are you looking for in a car?
Comfort? build quality? status?

if your just dead set on the LCR or scooby then fair enough.

wakko

Jul 27, 2005
Blackburn, Lancashire
Thanks for all the replies guys :D

I'm not narrowing it down to just those 2 cars. I suppose it's the 2WD against 4WD argument again. I just think if i'm going to have a car up and over the 300 BHP figure then a 4WD is the way to go. :blink:

Quite often i struggle getting 225 BHP down on the road and I've tried the trial Revo upgrade. Like a rocket when your moving but try to set off quickly on a slightly damp road and you're stood still with the wheels spinning around.

I know the Subaru's are a little "tin box" when it comes to build quality but they seem to be reliable in general.

The interesting one is the Audi S3. I hadn't thought of this one originally and it could be a favourite. 4WD, good build quality, 300+ BHP (with mods of course) its ticking all the boxes so far. I don't know how they handle so if anyones got any experience with them I'd like to know what they thought.

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
I would go and test drive one for an afternoon rather than listening to everyones views
I've heard they are ok but not the best, but i've never driven one so i wouldn't let that sway you.

wakko

Jul 27, 2005
Blackburn, Lancashire
Just to add:

I will have about 15k - 18k to spend so an S3 is certainly do-able.

The car needs to be practical to a point, i'm a Systems Engineer and sometimes need to pile a load of crap in the boot when i go on site visits.

I prefer the looks of the LCR to an S3 but i'd rather be able to get the power down with no wheel bouncing mayhem.

"Why o why is the LCR not 4WD!" :cry:

Even the new Leon mk2, with its supposed 290 BHP is going to have serious problems getting that down on the road.

There are many reasons NOT to get an Impreza:

1. Aways getting nicked.
2. High insurance
3. Poor interiors
4. High running costs
5. A little to "Look At ME!!!!!" can cause unwanted attention
6. Boy racers will always want "to have a go"

So why I'm i still considering one?? :confused:

skOOby

Sep 2, 2002
Bucks
Visit site
Scoobies are an awesome bit of kit, quick, handle well... BUT.... dare I say it.... just a bit Chav....

Stick with the LCR for exclusivity and better looks (IMO)...

skOOby
(ex Scooby owner)

<crawls undeer the desk and hides>

wakko

Jul 27, 2005
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hi skOOby,

The chav looks don't really bother me. Its just all the other things that go against it.

I've kept up with an STI in my LCR before, even though it may have about 260BHP there are more losses through the transmission so it evens out a bit. I bet the guy driving the STI was surprised to see me still behind him.

I'd like about 300 BHP as i feel it would be enough power for me, however through 2WD??? Thats the question.

I've just got to do a little spirited test driving of a few cars to help me make my mind up.

Last edited:

ice maiden

Scooby all the way......but I'm Biased.......Ive got two!!

mattyfab

FR TDi
Jun 12, 2006
Barnsley
I take it you wont be getting a brand new S3 or Scooby then for the money you have????
My dad had a chipped WRX to 260bhp, and the way it set off and went through the gears was amazing. They do understeer a bit, but keep your foot down and the back will step out to get you around the corner. You cant do this in a LCR can ya, except for lift off over steer???

Timberwolf

w1ickeds1ck
Dec 31, 2006
Berkshire!
What you should do is make a list of things you want in a car, we got the power and 4wd, but do you want something practical? low running cost? build quality?

If your going to consider something non fwd and 300+ bhp, id say a BMW E36 M3 gt2
(only 50 made) or the audi s4 4wd which already comes with 300+ bhp.

Just a thought pal, buying the right car can be a tough 1, took me months deciding if i wanted an S3 or an LCR. But once you bought 1, its hard not to fall in love with it. its more exciting than the s3 in driving terms and much rare too.

flares

Feb 11, 2007
newport,south wales
I will have about 15k - 18k to spend so an S3 is certainly do-able.

The car needs to be practical to a point, i'm a Systems Engineer and sometimes need to pile a load of crap in the boot when i go on site visits.

If u want practicality how about an S4/S6 Quattro Avant , some of those are packing some serious power

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.