leon cupra help!!!

watto83

put ultimate unleaded in my car today and ever since its ran like crap it had been running on normal unleaded, just been out to go out in it and its struggling to even tick over it hardly revs at all wen you put your foot on the accelerator, i had lamba changed on tuesday, but seat were still showing 2 fault codes which were pressure loss and a fuel mixture fault? any ideas please?

oedwards

Jul 11, 2005
CR6.UK
www.banter-box.com
I doubt is has anything to do with the fuel. I only use Shells Optimax juice and she loves it. When you go from 95 RON (premium) to 99 RON (Shells Super) the engine can take a few miles to adjust and after a tank it should be fully settled in. If it is not idling properly and struggles to go, feels like a 1.0L engine, splutters when rev’ed then it could be the cylinder coil(s) that are notorious for failing.

I am not sure what is meant by lamba?

If you have a cylinder coil fault then that means one or more of the cylinders is not operational so if you have just one with a fault on a four cylinder engine then you are running on three. You will see pressure loss and the injectors will still pump into that cylinder. As it is not firing the fuel will not get burnt and the Cat will detect excess fuel if you keep driving it will damage you Catalytic Converter. Do you have any warning light on?

If it is then a Cylinder Coil is about £25 and takes 5 mins to install, sometimes the AA stock them in there vans. The best practice is to get all four changed for modern/up rated coils.

Lets see what other peeps on here think?

Ta
Olly

oedwards

Jul 11, 2005
CR6.UK
www.banter-box.com
For sure with out hearing it run its hard to call.

I have had three sets of Cylinder Coils on my 02 LCR and every time there has been an obvious flashing warning light whilst driving. The best way to describe it is "fluttering revs and loss of power", it is not pleasant!

Watto, if this sounds a likely cause it is fairly easy to determine by un plugging the leads from the COIL one by one and listening for another cylinder to stop. When you un-plug one and there is no pitch change in the engine then that is the faulty COIL.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Something to bear in mind, is when one coil goes it's likely that the others will follow pretty soon after! So if this is the case and you have a fault coil, it would be worth investing in some spares!

Check your spark plugs too though, as they can often cause these sort of problems.

watto83

yes, it does feel like a 1.0, and is struggling to keep it's revs on tick over. what is a coil pack? there was a warning light, it was the engine management light which flashed on and off for about 10 secs then went off. the engine seems to shake on tick over now. hope it's ok! lol

andycupra

status subject to change
id try resetting the ecu to elimate any adaptation issues.
(take negative off battery for few mins. then reconnect.
then turn on ignition and dont start the car and leave like that for 3 mins.
DO THIS ON A COLD ENGINE.

however, i think the change of fuel is most likely a coincidence as it should only really be going from super to premium being a potential issue and even then only a small one.

the fault codes would appear to be the main pointers here, however i cant help with these except check the obvious, dv (diverter) and maf (air flow sensor) or as siad above coil packs.

Last edited:

watto83

the way you explained about the coil packs is the exact symptoms i am getting, the car has done 68,000 miles full seat service history. would a sign of a failing coil pack give readings of low pressure and fuel mixture problems?

oedwards

Jul 11, 2005
CR6.UK
www.banter-box.com
The engine warning light will flash when revving or driving on a failed coil. When the engine idles it will clear.

Try Andys suggestion however I would put money on it being a Coil. The Coil sits on top of the plug and fires it when told to. What you have described above is exactly what happened to me three times over.

I assume you are not under warranty. Are you a member of the AA? If Andys suggestion does not change anything and if you are a member give them a call and say that you think it is a cylinder coil. Ask the person on the phone to make sure they send someone with a Cylinder COIL (tell them you don't mind waiting longer for a patrol that has one in his van.)

The AA will plug it into a laptop and see what cylinder is showing a miss fire and then clear the fault. It will be ok for a second or two then it will come back (unless it is in half like one of mine was). They can change it over in five minutes. Also get them to check the sparks to see what they look like.

Bare in mind that it is best practice to change them all cause if one goes the others are likely to as well. It won’t cause any problems running new and old coils together.

Ta
Olly

watto83

so where is best to buy these coil packs from and yes im in the aa, think maybe its been going since i bought the car on tuesday and now its given up the ghost,

oedwards

Jul 11, 2005
CR6.UK
www.banter-box.com
If you have been driving it like that since Tuesday then you could have other problems like the Cat is knackered. I would be surprised if you have been driving it with a failed coil mind. It feels horrid and obviously not worth driving.

You can buy them off the AA , £25. If you want to replace them all then look on the net or buy them of Seat. I remember that per Coil was only a few more quid from Seat.

Best bet mate, get the AA out (ask them to bring a coil). I don't know of any garages open on a Sunday night :)

watto83

its just been abit dodgy since tuesday weird driving it didnt seem like it was at full power and tday it just died completely, will aa come to your home? my local seat dealer are knobs so wont be going there trying to charge me 750 quid to fix the problem, could get another engine for that price. robbers!!!!lol you got msn pal add me [email protected]

oedwards

Jul 11, 2005
CR6.UK
www.banter-box.com
If you have home start they will and even if you don't ring them up and just say you are on your road in the street (don't mention "home"). Some of them are a little sleepy or don't care. It has worked for me in the past.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise