Ibiza Cupra 1.8turbo vs 1.9TDi??

smokin

Hi guys

First off, awsome forum you guys have here. I am from Durban, South Africa. I am currently in the market for a new car. It has come down to the Ibiza Cupra, question is, which one to get, the 1.8turbo or the 1.9 TDi????

Please, any feedback would be greatly appreciated, what are the responses on both cars to being re-mapped, modifications etc??

How is the Revo software for the car??

Thanks in advance...

Cheers

gazjones

dont mean to sound nasty but if you search for this you will find pages and pages of debates and things like that

FR*Man1984

time for a MINI adventure
TDi all the way...

My FR is probs the best car I've had..mind you the list of cars I've had are pretty embarrassing, part from my last Polo GTi...desirable modest yet handsome and masculine. Well in my eyes!

Think I've contradicted myself. Go get yaself a test drive...thats ya best bet, try them both out, then make ya decision :shrug:

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
if you want an everyday enjoyable drive get the derv.

if you want to mod the bugger and go fast ( and love the nectar points) get the gas guzzler -simple as

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
well they both as quick as each other with a remap.

it all depends what you want from the engine

1.) torquey, efficent, 6 speed,
2.) more revs and sounds nicer like a petrol.

but honestly no diffrence in performance at all really
picking up from 30 etc ("mid range") diesel has edge but when you go through a couple of gears in the deisel 5/6th gear petrol will have edge
with a remap both around 200-210

yes the petrol will tune better/easier than the diesel over 210bhp.

p.s i'm not bias i actually would love both cars :)

best suggestion everyone should agree test drive both cars and decide for yourself. cos they is only opinions on which engines the each individual member on here prefers (i.e the one they brought/want)

my opinion

FR = Petrol (because both cupra and fr have same engine compontents remap/tune to same level) just need to up the brakes 312mm tt's and suspension £400.

Cupra = diesel because it is the fastest 1.9tdi the group have produced and it's is cool.

vwpologti

Jun 25, 2006
tdi all the way!

just as fast as most petrol turbos with small runnin cost!

cant beat it!

smokin

Thanks guys

I actually drove both back to back, petrol 1st and then the diesel, felt the difference as soon as I took off in the diesel, seemed much more responsive than the petrol, but what I wanted to know was with the re-map and maybe aftermarket exhaust, which will come out tops??

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
Thanks guys

I actually drove both back to back, petrol 1st and then the diesel, felt the difference as soon as I took off in the diesel, seemed much more responsive than the petrol, but what I wanted to know was with the re-map and maybe aftermarket exhaust, which will come out tops??

still not much in it tbh petrol would win in higher gear higher speed diesel would still have the edge lower speed,

i had a play with kohmikey 240bhp mk4 1.8T cupra down the A1 and there was nothing in it untill i put it in 6th and he shot past. he was shocked, cos he thought he would kill me at any speed/gear.

one point if you where to get a exhaust (not needed) in the diesel you would have to uprated the clutch. and tyres can't really handle that sort of torque. much is wasted.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
hang on a remap deisel and remappedpetrol the petrol would say :wave: the diesel might feelquicker but if you look down at the clock :doh:

petrol is by far the best out of the two to mod for performance!

but these threads always look the same ppl will always back the cars they own!

but as said before if your wanting fuel efficiency with a bita poke go for the diesel but if you want REAL performance go for the ovious option ;)

also the search will bring hundreds of threads on this subject ;)

gazjones

in reality no diference really bu figures and time petrol comes out on top about half second faster over 1/4mile slightly quicker to 60 i think for the 20vt, but in gear tdi will cope bit better imo saying that mine feels and looks as quick in 5th from 60 to 100 as from second through 3rd and 4th to 100

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
hang on a remap deisel and remappedpetrol the petrol would say :wave: the diesel might feelquicker but if you look down at the clock :doh:
biggest load of crap i've ever read!

we are talking about the cupra, a 210bhp petrol would not say goodbye too a 205bhp deisel, with more torque. nor would a 225bhp petrol wave bye bye.

as for 1/4mile half a second gaz were talking about just a remap you telling me a remapped cupra 1.8T could run a 13.9 that's 0.5 fastest than a remap cupra tdi?

yes it would be a case with the fr why i said i would get the fr in petrol form. 175 tdi to 210 petrol wouldn't be a contest.

and if you want to go over 210bhp the petrol is the choice.

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
heehee I love thease threads

I can't speek about cupras but me and my brother have standard FR's and my petrol one is a little quicker in every test that we have done together

and his does more mpg but sounds like a tractor

go figure