Ibiza Cupra 1.8turbo vs 1.9TDi??

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
hang on a remap deisel and remappedpetrol the petrol would say :wave: the diesel might feelquicker but if you look down at the clock :doh:
biggest load of crap i've ever read!

we are talking about the cupra, a 210bhp petrol would not say goodbye too a 205bhp deisel, with more torque. nor would a 225bhp petrol wave bye bye.

:lol: touchy!

my cupra was remapped to 225bhp and im sure WOULD say good bye to a 200bhp tdi and if you doubt a map could get such results some1 on the forum really recently got a live map on his 20vt and he's got figures of 236bhp iirc!but the question wasnt whats the fastest just some1 said that performance wasnt any diffrent between the two further up the thread :lol: :cartman:

im not a diesel hater at all as they are seriously quick for a tdi! and when standard admittably the tdi is breathing down the 20vt's back and getting better mpg!

midrange the dieselmight pic up better withlower revs but im sorry the petrol would have goneby then BUT THIS IS MY OPINION!

villain24

RIPPER
Nov 20, 2006
i thought

about buying a petrol cupra last week until i had a go in my mates mk4 1.8t. To sum up sorry petrol owners out there but i thought it was a bit of a dull engine. I guess i just like the torque curve, but some people might hate the way diesel delivers it's power. In my opinion tho i found the diesel more fun and the dealers seem to allways say go 4 the derv although i think that has a lot to do with them being more pricey. regards Villain

villain24

RIPPER
Nov 20, 2006
Rash

i have to agree with red cupra there. You are definately underestimating a derv saying that a petrol with 20bhp more is gonna wave good bye cus it certainly ain't. Also a lot comes down to the driver. My driving style is, how can i say this, well i don't back off. Had many a race with hot hatches where nerves eventually get the better of them and these were against people with cars that could have blown me away if they just had the bottle lol!

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
didnt i state that the derv was just as impressive as the petrol on the last post :think: and they are great cars

i hate this arguement!

Last edited:

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
i tell you from two experience of underestimating diesel and they were the same as you rash it revs higher it has 20-30bhp more it'll eat me fro breakfast

1.)Kohmikey mk4 cupra with 230-240 bhp down the A1 it was nothin and i mean nothing in it untill i shifted into 6th and he went past as is was on the boil in 5th so fastest yes because of 30bhp more but not bye bye
Afterwards he was shocked. i think i saw a tear (joking koh ;))

2.)flash_bsd he thought no way could my car a tdi be quicker than a mapped mk3 cupra but it was faster then he got ko3s and fmic and a jabba map and he was quicker but not by much at all

both me still on JUST a remap with a dodgy clutch not even an aggressive one.

but 10-15bhp difference on a RR or stated bhp is jack on the road.

the petrol has what 3-4% more bhp than the tdi after JUST a remap (accordding to jabba and revo figures) but a diesel has 25-30% more torque.

so i really do feel they would be NOTHING between a remapped cupra tdi and a remapped Cupra 1.8T just remap nothing else. infact i would go to say ifthe cupra 1.8t wasn't ready at say 60 the torque would throw the tdi far enough ahead it would have to reach vmax before the 1.8T was overtaking.

this thread is about the cupra not the fr btw my comments are from experiences NOT opinion.

but i would swap the car for the petrol if i wanted over 210bhp then again i would buy a RWD or evo/scoob.

Andydurbs

Feb 11, 2007
If smokin is from Durban, South Africa like myself :) if you are still based there than even though i have Remapped Tdi Fr i would buy i petrol just so it does not sound like a tractor (especially cold) because petrol is surely alot cheaper in SA than here so it dont really matter.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
^ i get your point here totally ^ redcupratdi im a petrol head and i dont like to be beaten by a dervs! :D

i know i made the right choice with the petrol as im after 300+bhp but without the obvious car ;)

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
yeah i would love to have a mk4 cupra in 300bhp guise with lsd :) and the only way that would happen is to have a 1.8T in it, but i would make the sacafice hehe

how's the suspension the stance looks bloody quailty, i was suppose to get clutch, exhuast and suspension done this month i had saved up but just had to move out so rent is now pi**ing me off!

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
if the suspension question was aimed at me the old fk coilovers have done me proud love it! IHI turbo going on tomorrow clutch the lot! looking for 330bhp :p

lucky i live at home and can pay for things like this rent is dirt cheap :D

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
This sort of thread has been done to death but i still find them amusing to read. Must be a good two weeks since the diesel verses petrol debate has raged on SCN.
Rashcupra we must go for a drive down a few B roads sometime if you get my drift next time i am your way. ;)

vwpologti

Jun 25, 2006
my tdi i have got now is a mk3 tdi sport remaped to 138ish bhp
and i can pull away form a 150bhp 20v t.

cant wait to see what my new tdi sport will be like after a remap.

i would never never have a petrol again, i just love the way tdi
will pull you.

also cheap as chips to run.

but i do miss the sound of a petrol. thats about it

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
my tdi i have got now is a mk3 tdi sport remaped to 138ish bhp
and i can pull away form a 150bhp 20v t.

cant wait to see what my new tdi sport will be like after a remap.

i would never never have a petrol again, i just love the way tdi
will pull you.

also cheap as chips to run.

but i do miss the sound of a petrol. thats about it

and that is why I would never ever ever have a tdi for an everyday car, I just can't get over the sound of them at tickover and when you start them up inside the garage

wel untill they start making affordable 6 or 8 cylinder ones that is

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
I really don't know which i prefer. I own the derv, and have 180bhp 300lbs/ft torque. I keep up with pretty much every 200bhp petrol i have tried to keep up with, and i also keep up with my m8s s3 (210bhp) until about 70mph, then he leaves me standing!

If i had the money to spank on tax and fuel i'd also go petrol, but i don't so the diesel is more than good enough for what i want.

Like others have said, it depends on what you want from the car.

End of the day, they both kick ass!

smokin

If smokin is from Durban, South Africa like myself :) if you are still based there than even though i have Remapped Tdi Fr i would buy i petrol just so it does not sound like a tractor (especially cold) because petrol is surely alot cheaper in SA than here so it dont really matter.

Is this who I think it is??? [B)]

mattyfab

FR TDi
Jun 12, 2006
Barnsley
Ill be honest, if I could have afforded it, I would have gone for the pertol turbo engine, but the fact I was paying £50 to do 250 miles in my ZS180, I had to get a diesel and it really depressed me cos I hated diesels.
But now, I love it, and id have to think hard about getting a petrol car instead of a diesel.
The only thing I miss, especially when I spent the weekend at Santa Pod, is the noise some petrol cars make. Diesels just sound poo!!!!:cry:

Andydurbs

Feb 11, 2007
I could not face going back to petrol, had an Audi A4 1.8T sport which took £100 a week in juice where as my fr tdi even when being raped manages 35 mpg + and roughly £45 a week in diesel.

smokin

SO anyway, I think that I am going to wait for the 177kw Seat to be launched here in SA later this year.....

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.