Looking at buying a cupra tomorrow.

Deleted member 12147

Good choice of colour :whistle: But i'd question them more on what error is/was on the EM.

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
yeah or major problems already. Best to get a vag-com plugged in and see exactly why its being thrown up. Like mentioned above the battery can be disconnected for a bit and the light wont come back for a bit....so its best to know what caused it before they reset it

nick s

256bhp & 282lbs/ft
Dec 9, 2005
they say they will sort th engine management light, but do you know they can just plug a laptop with vag-com in and turn it off? whatever problem is has will still be there, the light will have just gone off.

usually if it's something small, like the maf has been unplugged etc, then the traction control light will come on aswell and stay on. i've had that a few times, but never the engine management on it's own.

gex18

Mar 30, 2007
not necessarily!! it could be something really simple but I'd definately ask for it to be checked out with a vag-com first

Yeah i will do mate, i cant not buy the car now though as i have put a deposit down and i love it anyway:shrug:

Also its on 79000 miles, but from what i could see in the service history it has never had a cambelt change, when i asked the sales guy he checked this up and said it should be done at 120000 miles (although even he seems bewildered by this)?

Jul 10, 2001
Bedfordshire
Visit site
Yeah i will do mate, i cant not buy the car now though as i have put a deposit down and i love it anyway:shrug:

Also its on 79000 miles, but from what i could see in the service history it has never had a cambelt change, when i asked the sales guy he checked this up and said it should be done at 120000 miles (although even he seems bewildered by this)?

Don't know where the line is drawn on this. I've taken all my cars to VW and SEAT delears in the past and they've recommended that i have cambelts changed at 60,000 or 4 years.

But you're looking at about £300 to get it done. worth checking

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
Tell the garage you want it fixed. Generally you get a 30 day warranty dont you? My mate demanded some bits to be fixed before he bought it and they did it

gex18

Mar 30, 2007
Cambelt officially only needs to be "checked" at 60k and changed at 120k but to air on the safe side should have been done at 60k

Thats the problem isnt it? Convincing the trader to swap the cambelt (which is money out of their own pocket) when it doesnt need 'officially' changing until 120k:doh:

blackturbo

Apr 3, 2006
Fleet, Hants
Could always get a 2nd opinion mate? Worth paying a mechanice £40 to check it over rather than it costing £200 for a cambelt change!

nick s

256bhp & 282lbs/ft
Dec 9, 2005
has anyone actually had cambelt failurew at around 60k in their cupras? imnes on 65k and hasn't been done yet :eek: !

SRI14

I went to look at this car too. Was near Jct 22 m1.
Not a bad motor, Although by the time you've budgeted for cam belt change and it got odd tyres on back etc.. gonna have paid close to 5K and it's done 79k. Thats the reason i walked away cos in 2-3 years time will be knocking 100K and might be hard to shift.

But like you said its still a decent standard car, and was nice inside. Hope its a gud un' for you!

gex18

Mar 30, 2007
Not a bad motor, Although by the time you've budgeted for cam belt change and it got odd tyres on back etc.. gonna have paid close to 5K and it's done 79k. Thats the reason i walked away cos in 2-3 years time will be knocking 100K and might be hard to shift.

But like you said its still a decent standard car, and was nice inside. Hope its a gud un' for you!

Cheers mate, tbh i have looked at a few and id rather one with higher milage and better condition then soe of the lower mileage sh*tters i have looked at.

If they say the cambelt is to be changed at 120k there must be a reason for this, although i will get it changed in 8 weeks time or so.

Regarding the back tyres i never looked at them tbh, just looks a nice clean car, but i wil only be doing around 5k a year anyway so its all good:D

Anyone in the derby / midlands area got vagcom and could poss link up to the car to see whats the problem for a bit of beer money?

Cheers for all your patience guys, its much appreciated:)

Anthony

seli_babe

Don't Mess....
Nov 22, 2005
Bedfordshire
Damn, talk about putting a guy off of buying an biza....

Gex... I need a new ECU so if i get one from Seat it'll cost around £500 but there are plenty floating around for a lot less than that... garage knocked off a couple of hundred to factor in that it needed a new one.. which was great :D:D

The majority of EM lights that I've heard of comming on are generally minor issues i.e. MAF's as previously stated... specially if the car hasn't been tinkered with...

I have Vag com if you wanna hoock the car up and see what the issues are.

There are a lot of biza's out there mate that are close to 100k and over and they are running larger turbos etc

Last edited:

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
ummmm, that looks good. I currently am looking at getting either a mk3 cupra, leon cupra or Golf Gti T, but to be honest for my 4-4.5k budget the ibiza looks the sensible option.

Out of interest how much are you paying for this example

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.