clutch master cylinder failing

Georgie

WADDA YA WANT.. EH?!
Nov 27, 2005
FLEET
i have very good reason to belive that mine is very much on the way out taking it to the dealership tomorrow but wanting an idea of time and costs etc. car is still in warentee till 29th december.

cheers

also, any one know of a cause would be swell.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
is the clutch pedal sticking to the floor then?

Part is cheap at £32.50 (OE replacement), labour is probably 4hrs

Georgie

WADDA YA WANT.. EH?!
Nov 27, 2005
FLEET
yars, pedal sticking to floor, having to bring it back up with foot, very hard to change gears all in all pain in the ass.

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
When VAG did the conversion from left to right hand drive, they couldn't align the clutch master cylinder directly behind the pedal. So the pedal has a metal tab sticking out the side which pushes the master cylinder rod.

With some people, the tab snaps off, meaning you just have to replace the pedal. With others the master cylinder rod bends, meaning you have to replace the master cylinder as well as the pedal. There are two plastic stops that tend to snap when either fault happens.

Simon.

sebasti0n

Nov 6, 2006
Just getting mine done today..... Seat wanted £165 fitted.... part was quoted as £52..... labour is £92 an hour......

It has been an expensive month....

Got my LC with 240000 on the clock.... 2 years trouble free motoring...

Just coming up to 50k so decided to change timing belt & water pump...
Also needed some sort of gator replaced for MOT....
rear brakes and disks

£970....later..... then the clutch master cylinder needs replacing....

The old addage is wright....... out them before 50k.....

ohh..... and another £280 on the wifes focus.... minted...NOTTTTTTTTT !!!!

CRAIGLCR

THE DADDY!!!!!
Nov 14, 2005
STOKE ON TRENT
Mine Did This!! It Was The Clutch Slave Cylinder!!!! Unfortunately This Is A Gearbox Off Job To Change!! Whilst My G.box Was Off I Changed The Clutch Aswell So Came To About £400!!!

Good Luck

Georgie

WADDA YA WANT.. EH?!
Nov 27, 2005
FLEET
i was very fourtunate... becuase i reported it while it was still covered they did it.

so not a penny spent by me. thankfully!

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Make sure that you get a genuine SEAT part fitted. mine was replaced by local garage. The part failed again within 4 months and SEAT had to replace it the second time and cover the cost of the labour.
They were really good though, as soon as i mentioned the pedal sticking they booked it in said it is really common with all VAG cars using the 6 speed box.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members