should i let TDI cool down

fahafiz

Jan 29, 2007
i have a tdi 90.... should i let the car warm up before driving it and then let it cool down before switching it off?... cos i used to do this with a petrol turbo car... is it the same with diesels?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
You should do really, but in reality, how many people actually do ?

Every owner should do if they drive a turbo car. If they don't, it's either through a lack of knowledge or ignorance to be honest. I'd like to think that any owner who knows what they should and shouldn't be doing would treat their car accordingly.

The turbo needs time to cool and for oil to keep moving through the system to aid this, which doesn't happen if you just switch off the engine after a hard drive. What will happen, though, is oil will dry in your nice, expensive and very hot turbo which can cause all sorts of unwanted problems later in the life of the car.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Seriously though, how can you not let it cool down. What i mean is the majority of people in the UK live in residential areas where the speed limit is 20/30 mph. Therefore for the first/last few minutes of your journey you have to be taking it easy.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
I tend to settle for a couple of minutes of careful driving, preferably under 2000rpm to keep it off boost (figuring that if I'm still moving then there's cooler air being forced through the engine bay anyway), then I normally let it stand for 60 seconds or so on the driveway while I get out and grab my stuff out of the boot or whatever.

Surely though the best thing to do is drive it gentle so cold air passes through the engine and as soon as you pull up turn the engine off. If you leave it running there wont be any cold air passing over the engine so it wont help. The fans still work with the engine off.

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
I tend to settle for a couple of minutes of careful driving, preferably under 2000rpm to keep it off boost (figuring that if I'm still moving then there's cooler air being forced through the engine bay anyway), then I normally let it stand for 60 seconds or so on the driveway while I get out and grab my stuff out of the boot or whatever.

pretty much exactly what i do![B)]

itsmefishy

Jul 23, 2009
Nottingham
Its not cooling the turbo down, its letting the turbo wind down. The turbo's vein is like a big fan which obviously runs on bearing which are lubricated by engine oil, if you turn the engine off without letting it wind down, then the turbo continues to spin with no oil feed, thus starving the bearing causing excessive wear.

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
I very rarely drive full pelt anyway, most of my driving is mpg influenced would usually change around 2000-2500rpm rather than revving the life out of the engine so doubt I would really need to?

Chester

MPG racer
Mar 25, 2002
Peterborough
There's no need to go through a 'cool down' process on a TDi. They don't have anything like the amount of thermal problems that a petrol turbo engine has. So no, a 10-20 second spool down is all that's needed as the turbo still spins at 125K RPM, and faster under load.

There's practically no way to drive a TDi off boost either, without coasting, but then even gentle acceleration into a side road or cul-de-sac will make a TDi's turbo spin-up.

All that said, I always give it 10 seconds minimum to let the turbo spin down.

Incidentally, if the car is left idling for over a minute or two, the turbo starts howling again. It's definitely ECU controlled and a quick tiny blip of the throttle stops it. Is the intention to lean out the exhaust gases or something?

joely

Mar 20, 2006
Towcester
I always warm/cool the engine...

But, doesn't the LC & LCR oil pump continue to run after the engine is switched off??? I’m sure I have read that somewhere and I also have experienced ‘something’ running (not the fans!) when it has been a hot day and I’’ve stopped after a spirited drive.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.