interior door handle broke

deanrankin85

Nov 28, 2006
Stoke-On-Trent
anyone else had this problem on their cupra?
went to open the door from the inside and it sounds like the mechanism has snapped somewhere!:cry:

not had chance to look at it yet but just wondering if any1 has had the same problem and what they did to solve it or where the new parts where sourced from!

thanx!

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
Whip the door card off (quick search bought up this guide) and see whats what. Dealers is the best place for spares like that. If its just a minor part thats gone it won't be expensive.

step 1 flick out with a small flat head, carefull not to scratch any thing

DSC00130.jpg

step 2, priz UP, it has to go up, not any other way else you will break it

DSC00131.jpg

step 3, unsrew useing phillips

DSC00139.jpg

step 4,unscrew the door pin anticlockwise

DSC00143.jpg

step 5,priz out slowly useing a trim tool...........i found this tool a life saver worth geting one

DSC00132.jpg

step 6,use the trim tool to slide between the door popers/clips n priz out

DSC00133.jpg

JOB DONE, shuold take about 15/25 min

DSC00134.jpg

hope this is helpfull ;)

Last edited:

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
if it's rattling at the bootom it could well be the opener cable,,, costs a few quids only but pay attention when fitting it to the door lock mechanism cos it's easy to screw up things there,,, mine was refitted badly and now the keylock doesn't work anymore, I can open the door only with the remote,,,

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
if you talking the chrome handle then you don't need to remove the whole unit,,, [cos anyway it's riveted to the door card and you couldn't even if you wanted,,,]

there a cicrular metal bar [sorry, don't know the name in english], around which the handle pivots, you just push that out of it's location [a small screwdriver will do], replace the handle and then put back again the bar,,, pay attention to the spring that's there,,,

it's a 3 minutes job, don't be scared,,,

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
thanks for ther reply I removed and replaced the whole unit. I cut off the plastic rivits and simply used a glu gun with strong stuff and dabbed it on on the plastic rivits, and its secure. I also took pics which il upload on monday to complete this guide

deanrankin85

Nov 28, 2006
Stoke-On-Trent
i originally posted this thread for the door cable, but now my bloody door handle has snapped now! ARGHHH! but the handle seems an easier job than the cable! lol

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
Ive added the final bit to this thread to fit the door handle. Sorry for the quality of the pic I had to use my XDA to take the pic lol

Step 1 & 2 - Snapping the existing plastic rivit. Use flat headed screwdriver
Step 3 - Simply blod some glue over the rivit head onto the handle. Wait to dry job done!

DoorHandle.jpg

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
Also id like to point out stingy SEAT dont sell the trim tools to you. But MILL AUTO SUPPLIES sell them at £7.99 :) incase it helps - i wouldnt recommend doing it without incase you snap the poppers.

sixsr

Jun 18, 2006
I'm going to do this tomorrow, Seat were wanting £76.37 in labour to do this.

It looks relatively straight forward from what I've seen here.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
this is my way of doing it,,, much simpler and leaves all original rivets where they are.

You just push the pivot out with a small screwdriver [pay attention not to lose the spring that's there], so you can take out the old, broken, handle and put in the new one then put the pivot back in with the spring and job done,,, approx time? 1 minute + door card removal and reinstall,,,

dsc00139rs7.jpg

Last edited:

sixsr

Jun 18, 2006
All sorted, took me less than 10 minutes including waiting at the parts department!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.