Differences between 1.9 PDs and newer 2.0 engines

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The PD is doomed but not really because its a little gruff.

Its getting very difficult to get it through emissions now hence the need to add DPF's. Problem is they are costly and are not all that brilliant.

I think and so I have been told that VW will eventually go to common rail.

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
VW are indeed going to drop PD in a year or two's time, so I've read.

The emissions problem is the killer. In order to meet the latest standards, you have to start doing exotic things like injecting tiny amounts of fuel during the exhaust stroke to heat up the gases - presumably this helps more of the nasties to burn.

Trouble is, you can't play those sort of games with PD. Because it's cam-driven, the high fuel pressure is only available for a relatively short time while the cam is pressing down on the plunger. During the exhaust stroke the cam is in the wrong position so you can't inject fuel. Common rail, on the other hand, maintains fuel pressure all the time so you can inject fuel whenever you want.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter

Its getting very difficult to get it through emissions now hence the need to add DPF's. Problem is they are costly and are not all that brilliant.

Mine's gone through it's last MOT ok, and it's possibly the smokiest PD engine in the country. :D

I do like the 2.0 though - I could barely hear Mike's car when it was on tickover, but I kind of like the roughness of mine - It turns heads and people usually look confused how a knacky diesel can produce an exhaust noise like it does.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hmm, been looking through a few ads...

I reckon even in a years time the only A4s in a suitable price bracket would be the 1.9 130s. Unless I looked at an A3 Sportback with the 2.0 140, they *might* just fit in the price bracket, they look surprisingly spacious. I prefer the looks and practicality of A4 estates though.

Given that there's no real big in clutch capability, economy or tuning potential then the 130 would be fine for me.

Hmm, A4 Avant TDI Sport Quattro....shame I'll be broke when the house build is complete but you've got to have something to dream about haven't you :)

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Hmm, been looking through a few ads...

I reckon even in a years time the only A4s in a suitable price bracket would be the 1.9 130s. Unless I looked at an A3 Sportback with the 2.0 140, they *might* just fit in the price bracket, they look surprisingly spacious. I prefer the looks and practicality of A4 estates though.

Given that there's no real big in clutch capability, economy or tuning potential then the 130 would be fine for me.

Hmm, A4 Avant TDI Sport Quattro....shame I'll be broke when the house build is complete but you've got to have something to dream about haven't you :)
Not sure that this applies, but i would check what engine the A4 actually uses.
The Skoda superb (same chassis) has some strange 2.0l 8v engine that also has 140bhp, but uses a DPF which is causing lots of problems

read this thread

sssstew

Editing your spelling
VW are indeed going to drop PD in a year or two's time, so I've read.

The emissions problem is the killer. In order to meet the latest standards, you have to start doing exotic things like injecting tiny amounts of fuel during the exhaust stroke to heat up the gases - presumably this helps more of the nasties to burn.

Trouble is, you can't play those sort of games with PD. Because it's cam-driven, the high fuel pressure is only available for a relatively short time while the cam is pressing down on the plunger. During the exhaust stroke the cam is in the wrong position so you can't inject fuel. Common rail, on the other hand, maintains fuel pressure all the time so you can inject fuel whenever you want.

all very interesting stuff to read about dropping PD. i remember when they launched it and everyone else did CR, they were going on about its benefits but now it looks like its going to die before CR!

Stubill

Swine Bird !
Aug 13, 2002
The New Forest
Visit site
B7 chassis A4's (introduced 05) are 2.0 16V no DPF.

(And the S-Line model in quartz grey looks the absolute nuts :p )

As I understand it the new A4 2.0 TDI Special Edition (170bhp) now has the DPF, and the new code to give it the extra horses.

A3 2.0 TDI is mounted the other way round to the A4 - but not entirely sure if they are the the same engine :confused:

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon

I think and so I have been told that VW will eventually go to common rail.

I agree with what you are saying but why does BMW put a DPF on their 325/330/335 as standard since they are CR aren`t they ? Always hearing bad stuff about the VAG DPF but is the BMW system any better and if yes why ?

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Muddy, my bro-in-law had an A4 Avant quattro (was a 1.9 PD130 6-speed).

The economy was atrocious -- he averaged something like 38mpg. The drag of the drivetrain seems to kill the economy advantage.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Muddy, my bro-in-law had an A4 Avant quattro (was a 1.9 PD130 6-speed).

The economy was atrocious -- he averaged something like 38mpg. The drag of the drivetrain seems to kill the economy advantage.

I get about 35mpg @ 90 mph and 25mpg @ 120ish. A 4WD diesel is never going to be brillent on mpg when compared to FWD diesel or petrol cars but if you compare them to petrol 4WD cars then they are quite good. An A4 Advant quattro is not the lightest of cars either really is it.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
An A4 Avant quattro is not the lightest of cars either really is it.
Just been looking through the tech specs on Parkers...

An 01-05 A4 Avant TDI Sport Quattro is only 4kg heavier, and 0.2 secs slower to 60, than my 01 Passat TDI Sport Estate :think:
(A4 Quattro does tip into Band E tax though :( )

Are the two cars based on the same platform, or was it the A6 that shared a platform with the Passat ?
As the A4 Avant seems to be shorter overall, with a slightly shorter wheelbase, and 10% less luggage space. Assuming Parker's info is correct of course.

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
I believe the A4 platform was a shortened Passat / A6 / Superb platform, my bro-in-law's 2002 Avant was identical in layout to my B5.5 Passat, longitudinal engine, 6-speed box etc etc

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Thanks Craig, that makes sense.

I'm going off the idea of Quattro - best part of 200kg heavier, 6mpg less, slower to 60. I doubt I'll ever get modding it to the extent where I'd really benefit from 4wd and I don't take part in many from-the-line sprints where traction is an issue.
An A4 without Quattro would be ~200kg lighter than the Passat, which has to be a good thing. Brakes were smoking tonight after an enjoyable blast home - too much weight to haul down !!